Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What The Hell Is A Gammon?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

J'OB as ever, is spot on here. The worry however is that the term is becoming used as a pejorative term for white people in general on twitter rather than the specific target it originally set out to focus on. I recently saw an academic talk where they challenged us audience to type 'White people' into the search function on Twitter and see what pops up. I tried it. Some of the stuff on there is pretty shocking and cannot be view as anything other than discrimination and racism quite frankly.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A lot of people today have a desperate need to try and be as insulting as possible, constantly trying to invent new ways to belittle others who they don’t like/agree with. Gammon I guess falls into that category.

I suppose it does, if you feel a phrase from the 1800’s is “new”.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Have any POC be deemed a gammon then? Out of interest?

None I am aware of, difficult to turn pink with a base colouring of brown, but more importantly tend not to be quite so "Britain First" in their outlook. Not met any POC who are white supremacists either but theoretically they could exist.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Would a white fella go up to and admonish a black person for calling another black person the N word. Would a white person say to that black man “you are being racist”?
No. Of course they wouldn’t so please don’t pretend to get all offended when I, a middle aged white man, call another middle aged white man a gammon.

Of course it’s derogatory, it’s meant to insult clueless, objectionable, angry, bigots. It’s not meant to be nice.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Sort of my point. This is a term which considers skin colour it its use.

Yes, but it isn't The only defining characteristic, like being a Black Militant is not a racist term but is only applied to Black people of a certain political stance and attitude.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018

Attachments

• mug.jpg
    mug.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 88

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The trade unions brought the anti -TU legislation upon themselves by their behaviour in the 70s and were rightly brought to order. They were making lives a misery.

Whereas now we have increasing socioeconomic inequality, rising homelessness, proliferating food banks, abandoned (Brexit-voting) communities, massive disparities in economic geographies (London and the south-east versus the rest). And all justifiable because the TUs made your life a misery half a century ago?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I can't believe you think it's ok to sneer at people just because you think they've become irrelevant.

It isn't necessarily ok, just that every generation does it.

The Baby boomers did it more than anyone else.
Most of what defined the era was based around sneering at the viewpoint of their parent's generation and what had gone before.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Whereas now we have increasing socioeconomic inequality, rising homelessness, proliferating food banks, abandoned (Brexit-voting) communities, massive disparities in economic geographies (London and the south-east versus the rest). And all justifiable because the TUs made your life a misery half a century ago?

Saw a woman, when asked why she voted Brexit, responded with 'Corbyn wants to get rid of food banks, and I rely on food banks'
:facepalm:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] / Mods can this be merged with the BREXIT thread, a thread I avoid like the plague!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Ironically , I don’t think Boris Johnson’s faux fluster counts . That and he’s a remainer at heart who used brexit to gain power. Used the electorate like a freshly laundered jiz cloth.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Thank you! :)

I almost wish I was one now! But I grew up in the Savage Seventies not the Swinging Sixties on the coattails of the 'real' Boomers. The bands of my generation were the Pistols and the Clash, not the Beatles and the Stones. By the time we reached our early teens the Post War dream had long since died; it got finally snuffed out sometime during the Three Day Week I think.

Gen X sounds so much better than Boomer doesn’t it!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] / Mods can this be merged with the BREXIT thread, a thread I avoid like the plague!

What a very odd thing to call for. Usually one would request a merge if you wanted to post on bith but didn’t want to keep switching. By all means , merge away but it’s a rather silly thing to ask for, for the reason you’ve stated. Odd .

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
What a very odd thing to call for. Usually one would request a merge if you wanted to post on bith but didn’t want to keep switching. By all means , merge away but it’s a rather silly thing to ask for, for the reason you’ve stated. Odd .

To be honest it was to keep all the BREXIT lies, bigotry and hatred in one place rather than it starting to spread across the board, but hey, as you wish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here