[Misc] What The Hell Is A Gammon?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I can't believe you think it's ok to sneer at people just because you think they've become irrelevant.

And yes, the Boomers have 'done their bit'. The social changes we've experienced since the 1960s wouldn't have happened without the protests and the action, any more than women wouldn't have the vote if it hadn't been for the Suffragettes. And workers wouldn't have any rights if it hadn't been for Trade Unions. The ruling elites never willingly surrender power, you have to prise it off them and each generation has to build on the one before.

I hope that's still the case, but if all we're going to do is insult each other I fear we're going backwards.

I agree with most of what you've said in this post, but:
1, in the last few decades there has been a plethora of anti-TU legislation and, unsurprisingly, lowered worker income as a share of the national economy
2, the gammons are at the vanguard of equality for women, etc
3, the Boomers have pretty much ignored climate change, biodiversity loss, anthropocene, etc -- although you could level the same accusation at my generation (X).

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
A lot of people today have a desperate need to try and be as insulting as possible, constantly trying to invent new ways to belittle others who they don’t like/agree with. Gammon I guess falls into that category.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018

“Where admission is permitted, an EU citizen may remain in the UK for up to three months from the date of entry, provided they do not become a burden on the social assistance system of the UK.
If an EU citizen does not meet one of the requirements for residence set out in the Directive [employed, self-employed, self-sufficient, student] then they will not have a right to reside in the UK and may be removed.”

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I agree with most of what you've said in this post, but:
1, in the last few decades there has been a plethora of anti-TU legislation and, unsurprisingly, lowered worker income as a share of the national economy
2, the gammons are at the vanguard of equality for women, etc
3, the Boomers have pretty much ignored climate change, biodiversity loss, anthropocene, etc -- although you could level the same accusation at my generation (X).

The trade unions brought the anti -TU legislation upon themselves by their behaviour in the 70s and were rightly brought to order. They were making lives a misery.

Jan 30, 2008
“Where admission is permitted, an EU citizen may remain in the UK for up to three months from the date of entry, provided they do not become a burden on the social assistance system of the UK.
If an EU citizen does not meet one of the requirements for residence set out in the Directive [employed, self-employed, self-sufficient, student] then they will not have a right to reside in the UK and may be removed.”

sounds great but in reality stinks , that's why the UK have left the EU :wink:
regards
DF

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
but they are not judged on their gender or race, or even their politics, for example Mark Francois holds largely the same political views as Jacob Rees-Mogg, Mogg is not Gammon though, and it is not because he is upper class, it is because he states his nasty views calmly.

Have any POC be deemed a gammon then? Out of interest?

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
sounds great but in reality stinks , that's why the UK have left the EU :wink:
regards
DF

It stinks? What? The British government for not employing the tools other EU countries implemented?
Youre starting to give the term 'mug' new meaning.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Never liked the term, when comes down to it. Its no way to describe gaslighting victims...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports