[Misc] What The Hell Is A Gammon?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Pretty much covers it but a true Gammon would also think Jeremy Clarkson should be running the country

Someone in my friendship group is a bit of a gammon and he was apoplectic when Jeremy Clarkson (who he hero worships as you say) came out for Remain. I still like to bring it up every so often because it sets him off like a jack-in-the-box.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It is a way of being sexist, classist and racist but deemed perfectly acceptable because it is against white men where the rules of discrimination do not count.

This is complete nonsense, Wilko.

Of course there are white, chavvy, male gammon, like the Harry Enfield pub character pictured above, but the term absolutely is not confined to them.

There are plenty of posh gammon. Farage is gammon.

There are plenty of female gammon. Katie Hopkins is text-book gammon.

There's truth in the idea that most gammon are white - simply because most of them are - but it is their worldview and intolerance that define them, not their skin tone.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's another thing. Being born in 1957 I don't consider myself a 'Boomer', but for convenience I get lumped in with them. They now get WAY too much abuse. Yes ok a lot have drifted rightwards as they've got older, and the lucky ones are financially secure in their old age (so I'm definitely not one), but they were also the protest generation. Some would have cut their teeth on Aldermarston marches with their parents, and the Boomer generation as a whole protested against the Vietnam war (and war in general), and marched for Civil Rights, Women's Rights and Gay Rights. They were the first generation to start to care about the environment, had a sub-culture built on tolerance, love, peace and understanding and rebelled against the Authoritarian Establishment. They laid the social groundwork for where we are now.

In short they achieved a lot, and if the current generation achieve half as much they'll be doing well.

Okay Boomer

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
A gammon has just been interviewed on the wireless after his quarantine has just finished;

“Well I mean, you’re on your own, they put the food through the door. And the food, oh! well, it’s just so basic. So very basic. Nothing like we’ve enjoyed on the cruise”.

Gammon; entitled old tosser who gets red with rage over not getting his own way.

It would be very revealing to hear your reaction in similar circumstances. Was he red with rage on the wireless you stupid twunt?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Add a bit of mustard and i'm in seventh heaven :D
regards
DF

Here's your best example..

Having the word 'pink' in his NSC name adds an irony. Especially as it was placed there for him.

PPF is in the Gammon Crack Unit. Unafraid, unapologetic, and prepared to sacrifice himself. So cannot be sensibly engaged with. Even
some of his fellow fighters distance themselves as they question his activity at times.

Unfortunately, a lot of us our still drawn to engage with him. The best approach is not to engage, we have only made him more active.

Despite nothing ever being fruitful in anything he has ever placed on here, he is driven by the desire to combat. For as long as there are skirmishes available he'll be out to play.

The regular Gammon unit on NSC runs about 10-15 strong in full activity, with a few in back up logistics. You rarely see the whole unit out on the same battleground. A column involving a benefits claiming, homosexual, immigrant climate activist might just about do it. Although PPF has to be careful with the first descriptive.

Gammons are conditioned souls whereas Snowflakes have often arrived at their station through some sort of epiphany. I was once a bit gammony but my heart softened over time. It's easier for someone from Brighton to reach that stage as you meet new folk, engage, and realise your conditioning was just that. The only frustration is that you didn't get there much earlier.

I was once looking for a phrase to describe the people who wish to avenue their inherent anger at the diversity of life. I called them Chigryns. It means constructed humanity, ignorant, irrational and angry. They have to be angry. It gives purpose.

I keep telling myself not to engage with Chigryns, but it's hard.

That said, I also think that 'woke' is sometimes apt. And 'snowflake'. Some folk do feel incomplete without creating a cause that sometimes isn't a cause at all. Or fighting causes that have already been won. Re-opening that cause and ultimately setting it back, and importantly taking it out of cultural normality (think same sex marriage and climate change), because a few extreme snipers are still hanging around. Think TV show creators like Dr Who.

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
[MENTION=34106]ManOfSussex[/MENTION]

Megan Rapinoe
George Soros (for the dive into Zionist conspiracy theories)

I forgot Jacinda Ardern as well.

I must admit it's useful now that all the key, buzz phrases like 'political correctness gone mad' 'the pc crowd' 'virtue signalling' 'lefties' 'Guardian readers' 'social justice warriors' 'liberals' 'remoaners' etc can all be rolled into the word 'woke' instead. It must make things so much easier for them as well.

Jan 30, 2008
Here's your best example..

Having the word 'pink' in his NSC name adds an irony. Especially as it was placed there for him.

PPF is in the Gammon Crack Unit. Unafraid, unapologetic, and prepared to sacrifice himself. So cannot be sensibly engaged with. Unfortunately, a lot of us our still drawn to engage with him. The best approach is not to engage, we have only made him more active.

Despite nothing ever being fruitful in anything he has ever placed on here, he is driven by the desire to combat. For as long as there are skirmishes available he'll be out to play.

The regular Gammon unit on NSC runs about 10 strong in full activity. You rarely see the whole unit out on the same battleground. A column involving a benefits claiming, homosexual, immigrant climate activist might just about do it. Although PPF has to be careful with the first descriptive.

Gammons are conditioned souls whereas Snowflakes have often arrived at their station through some sort of epiphany. I was once a bit gammony but my heart softened over time. It's easier for someone from Brighton to reach that stage as you meet new folk, engage, and realise your conditioning was just that. The only frustration is that you didn't get there much earlier.

I was once looking for a phrase to describe the people who wish to avenue their inherent anger at the diversity of life. I called them Chigryns. It means constructed humanity, ignorant, irrational and angry. They have to be angry. It gives purpose.

I keep telling myself not to engage with Chigryns, but it's hard.

That said, I also think that 'woke' is sometimes apt. And 'snowflake'. Some folk do feel incomplete without creating a cause that sometimes isn't a cause at all. Or fighting causes that have already been won. Re-opening that cause and ultimately setting it back because of a few snipers hanging around. Think TV show creators like Dr Who.

well a big thanks for taking your time on typing that out, i'm quite humbled but as i always say, all my fans love me
regards
DF

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Being triggered by 'gammon' is about as much 'snowflake' as is possible.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
PPF is in the Gammon Crack Unit. Unafraid, unapologetic, and prepared to sacrifice himself. So cannot be sensibly engaged with.

For some reason when I read this all I can see in my mind's eye is the SAS unit from Whoops Apocalypse.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
White people insulting white people is racist?. Thats pretty funny.

This is complete nonsense, Wilko.

Of course there are white, chavvy, male gammon, like the Harry Enfield pub character pictured above, but the term absolutely is not confined to them.

There are plenty of posh gammon. Farage is gammon.

There are plenty of female gammon. Katie Hopkins is text-book gammon.

There's truth in the idea that most gammon are white - simply because most of them are - but it is their worldview and intolerance that define them, not their skin tone.

I think you missed my slightly tongue in cheek response here. Though there is an element of truth in it though as if an equivalent term was used for other factions of society then there would be WOKE outrage :whistle:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I forgot Jacinda Ardern as well.

I must admit it's useful now that all the key, buzz phrases like 'political correctness gone mad' 'the pc crowd' 'virtue signalling' 'lefties' 'Guardian readers' 'social justice warriors' 'liberals' 'remoaners' etc can all be rolled into the word 'woke' instead. It must make things so much easier for them as well.

Yep. They've discovered 'woke' and somehow see it as a cover-all description of everything they hate.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
White people insulting white people is racist?. Thats pretty funny.

It does not just come from white people though does it. Many POC use it to mock white people on Twitter, is that ok?

I am playing devil's advocate here btw but I find it laughable that many SJW who state you should never judge someone on their gender or race also band this term around liberally.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
What The Hell Is A Gammon?

gammon.jpg

Mmmmm

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You may not be a Boomer, but you're still ok. :smile:

Thank you! :)

I almost wish I was one now! But I grew up in the Savage Seventies not the Swinging Sixties on the coattails of the 'real' Boomers. The bands of my generation were the Pistols and the Clash, not the Beatles and the Stones. By the time we reached our early teens the Post War dream had long since died; it got finally snuffed out sometime during the Three Day Week I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports