• Ocado

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 2.5%

• Total voters

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
i was just browsing through this thread over my morning bacon sandwich and shot a loaf when i read your post,are you sure about this fact?I know there was much discussion not long ago about halal meat and mainstream suppliers but the supermarkets somehow managed to dodge the radar on that certain subject.

Morrisons only is that correct?Genuine question and not taking the piss

I remember reading about it a few years back. Quite a few people actually e mailed the supermarkets re their stance on halal meat, so i did see the replies. At the time (things may have changed over 3 years on) the main supermarkets were not labeling the meat halal, so you did not know what you were buying.
The reply from Morrisons, at the time, was that some of it's frozen meat was halal, but this was clearly marked, and it's fresh meat was all non halal.
So i started shopping at Morrisons.
Unfortunately the only link i could find from around that time comes from the DM. My information came from written replies at the time.
Just my choice really, probably most people are not bothered either way.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-M-S-dont-tell-meat-ritually-slaughtered.html

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Tesco - it's the closest biggish supermarket. The Co-op in the village gets a fair bit of our custom however.

One thing that I've never understood, although I've not bothered to look into it closely, is how Tesco's Clubcard scheme can be so much better than the alternative loyalty schemes. We've had 2 weeks all-inclusive in Cuba, care of Virgin Holidays, paid for entirely with Clubcard vouchers as well as many tens of thousands of Virgin miles which save me thousands of pounds on Virgin flights. The Nectar scheme seems woeful in comparison.

When has Bristol been a Village??
If you lived in Bristol you would Shirley shop at ASDAWL!!:smile:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I remember reading about it a few years back. Quite a few people actually e mailed the supermarkets re their stance on halal meat, so i did see the replies. At the time (things may have changed over 3 years on) the main supermarkets were not labeling the meat halal, so you did not know what you were buying.
The reply from Morrisons, at the time, was that some of it's frozen meat was halal, but this was clearly marked, and it's fresh meat was all non halal.
So i started shopping at Morrisons.
Unfortunately the only link i could find from around that time comes from the DM. My information came from written replies at the time.
Just my choice really, probably most people are not bothered either way.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-M-S-dont-tell-meat-ritually-slaughtered.html

The bacon sandwich in the post you replied to might be a clue that you are being disingenuous at best. You can't get Hal-al pork.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Not a single vote for Co-op but lots of mentions in this thread.

I've got £5.50 in clubcard vouchers saved up. When can I book my Cuba holiday?

I do occasionally pop into Co-op, but only because it's close to Shoreham station, as I get off the train. I wouldn't out of choice, I find it dreadful. The store is always dirty and messy, their produce is cr*p. They have about 6 checkouts, but only ever 1 open. I use it as a corner shop, and only buy branded goods.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
You've lost me. I've never lived in Southmead (assuming that is an area of Bristol).

Sorry, I am just being silly, Southmead is a big council estate in Bristol.
No more stupid jokes about Bristol, Promise.
Not 100% sure why you have Bristol as your location ???

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The Morrisons in Brighton is, apart from Iceland, the worst supermarket I have ever been to. Tiny, narrow aisles selling overpriced crap, rude, ignorant staff on the fish and meat counters who will happily let you stand there for ages if you didn't shout at them. Appalling fresh produce for both quality and range, a security man that looks like a greek frog, self checkouts that don't work, unattractive till staff and tramps and booze-hounds leaning around outside.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
The Morrisons in Brighton is, apart from Iceland, the worst supermarket I have ever been to. Tiny, narrow aisles selling overpriced crap, rude, ignorant staff on the fish and meat counters who will happily let you stand there for ages if you didn't shout at them. Appalling fresh produce for both quality and range, a security man that looks like a greek frog, self checkouts that don't work, unattractive till staff and tramps and booze-hounds leaning around outside.

Guessing that's where you shop then?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Guessing that's where you shop then?

I'm guessing it's where you work (jokes ;-) I have done a small shop there the odd time I used to walk home past it would pop in and get some bits and bobs. They had a nice choice of pate. However I now live over 60 miles away and don't walk past it much on my way home anymore.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
I went in there once, out of curiosity. Didn't buy anything and swiftly left. The one in Seaford is horrible as well. But the Eastbourne one seems pretty decent.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Never use a supermarket.

Organic vegetable box delivered, free range meat from the farm shop and we make all of our own cleaning products from naturally harvested materials.

What do you use for bog paper??Just seen this has already been asked!Haven't seen an answer though.

Last edited:

I went in there once, out of curiosity. Didn't buy anything and swiftly left. The one in Seaford is horrible as well. But the Eastbourne one seems pretty decent.
I thought the Eastbourne one (Old Town) got bought by Waitrose a while ago or is there another one in the town now?

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Yep. The Former Safeway became Morrisons and now Waitrose. There is a massive new build near Hampden Park Sainsburys now. It was a meat processing factory before I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here