Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What has the Board seen in Hyypia that we can't see

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
You can't put all the blame on Hyppia, he has been let down badly by our recruitment process (as was Garcia) and by some of the players that have let through soft goals. You can blame him for setting the team up like he did away to Derby. Some of the flack he has received on here is OTT but more mistakes like that and I'll move swiftly into the bin the fin camp.

Also Bloom needs to show appropriate loyalty to the manager he employed 6 months ago, I think people calling for a swift sacking will be dissapointed.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Agreed, but we had Andrews last season who did a good holding job in midfield, the previous season we had Hammond. We've not replaced Bridcutt or Barnes with players who work as hard, and the imagination given by Orlandi and Spanish Dave (even though neither were great last season) is missing too.

The effectiveness of Keith Andrews in that role is questionable although I would certainly agree you need someone in there doing the job. However, look at the starting midfield at Derby and look at the bench. Sadly it took 3 goals in 20 mins for Sami and Nathan to twig. Whichever way you slice it that was plainly wrong away to the best team in the division. I will give Sami the benefit in as far as he hasn't recruited the players and he was rather parachuted in later than ideal but the tactical naivety and the bewildering ever presence of eg Gardner and Jake - whether you rate him or not he could do with a break as his performances have dipped - are less easy to forgive.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
If they believe that Hyypia is the right man, then something else is wrong. If its the players that have been recruited are not good enough, then they need replacing and Burke who recruited them needs sacking.

So either Sami goes, or Burke goes and we get some real quality players in that are Samis choice. Keeping the situation the same will defo mean relegation.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Of course he has their backing. Means very little. Think of all the managers who get sacked and how many had a "vote of confidence" or the "full backing of the board/chairman".

If we are still in the same situation by the new year, I think he'll be gone. (I think he should have gone before now, but I'm not in charge).

I don't buy the stuff about the signings. This squad is better than the league position. These tactics are not.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
If we are still in the same situation by the new year, I think he'll be gone. (I think he should have gone before now, but I'm not in charge).

We need a new manager in before Xmas, in time to prepare for the transfer window.

We need someone to shake things up - and fast. We're just sleep-walking into L1...

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
My hope is that this is the "vote of confidence" that comes just moments before the axe

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
My sense - this is fairly unsubstantiated, and from contact with people rather indirectly linked to the board - is that they want to sack him but there is something preventing them from doing so, whether it's a clause, embarrassment at having persuaded him to take the job, transfer dealings, reluctance to re-approach a candidate they didn't like in the summer or summat.

There seems to be a lot of emotion where there should simply be consideration of three wins all season. All managers work hard.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Jesus. One thing I will say is that Bloom's investment is giving him a hell of a lot of breathing space. Anyone else and we'd be calling for the chairman's head as well after this crazy decision before pissing off half way around the world.

Seriously. Calling for the chairmans head after 1 bad managerial appointment in 5 years.. ?
Regardless of the amount of Money TB has put into the club that is way over the top do you not think ?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Probably had to say something like that but if we lose against Millwall, Hyypia's position will be untenable, no matter what was said yesterday.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
My sense - this is fairly unsubstantiated, and from contact with people rather indirectly linked to the board - is that they want to sack him but there is something preventing them from doing so, whether it's a clause, embarrassment at having persuaded him to take the job, transfer dealings, reluctance to re-approach a candidate they didn't like in the summer or summat.

There seems to be a lot of emotion where there should simply be consideration of three wins all season. All managers work hard.

Not an unlikely scenario. The Board sees the same as us. Which players have progressed under Hyypia ? Are the tactics getting the best from the players ? Are the senior players buying into the management ideas ? Is it a happy ship ? Are the natives happy or restless ?

They will be looking at what we are looking at. Something must be making them draw a different conclusion.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Seriously. Calling for the chairmans head after 1 bad managerial appointment in 5 years.. ?
Regardless of the amount of Money TB has put into the club that is way over the top do you not think ?

Completely. The usual suspects would be calling for anyone's head.

I am happy about TB spending time with his other investments. We need them to be doing well.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
If he's going to be here for at least a little while longer, we may as well get behind him. Surely he will get the chop if we lose Friday though.

Any money we draw and the cracks are papered over again.

Last edited:

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
The high cost of sacking him?

The high cost of relegation?

If we loose 5,000 season ticket holders paying say and average of £48 a month = £2,880,000 10,000 = £5,760,000 + associated sales at the ground, less TV money etc. Even if SH is on £500,000 PA it makes financial sense to sack him, if you think sacking him will avoid relegation.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
The hard work that he puts in on a day to day basis, his efforts during coaching, the quality of the arguments he puts forward having lost Crofts, Stephens and March from our first choice midfield? I'm not saying he's the right man for the job, but we don't have a scooby what he actually does on a day to day basis, we just see the outputs on a Saturday afternoon, part of which are down to him, part due to the players and part to the resources he has at his disposal.

What I have been seeing on a saturday afternoon, would suggest they dont do much during the week, the set pieces are a farce with the players arguing over who is taking them. If this is him working hard, he should take a few days off. The team has looked completely disorientated in the last few games.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Of course we could be sitting here in one years time in the playoff positions having finished about 16th the previous season, worrying that premier division clubs are sniffing around our Sami.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here