Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

what a lovley country we live in

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
All it is, is a policy mis-understood.

To be fair , a lot of half decent places won't be keen to serve squaddies in uniform. Mainly because unfortunately they do have a bad reputation. Go for a night out in Aldershot or similar.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
nothing to get angry over you prat, you have obviously never served,
Oh and this is my last coment on this as i dont want it to decend into a bin fest, and i dont want to get into an argument with hkfc ,as that is all he ever seams to want on here
i quite frankly am disgusted at this treatment of anyone attending a funeral (soldier or not )

No, I've never been a member of the armed forces. But I have lived for the last 20 years by a Garrison town (Winchester) and have a dozen good mates who do, or have, served. I'm not anti-forces, so don't waste your anger, trying to paint me as such.

When the regiment was based here, Winchester used to have huge problems in the pubs, between squaddies and locals. Uniform bans were pretty common-place. Pretty much universal, in fact.

The particular case you've posted about, happened SOLELY because the bar didn't know why these lads were there. Its a misunderstanding, nothing more. Why get angry about it?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
blitz-high-street-w400-h310.jpg
I understand now! This is what happened the last time people in uniform visited Coventry!

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Can see both sides of the point, but 1 question!

Didn't any of these soldiers say there was a funeral?

This brown guy says nobody knew a funeral was taking place! Seems off the soldiers never mentioned it?

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
i am just glad all publicans dont behave like this. By the way note to all all serving members or veterans with their id card or veterans badge are welcomed at all crown carverys for a free meal during armed forces week

nice gesture and thanks. btw all serving and veteran matelots would be on their best behaviour when visiting a drinking den :jester:[

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Exactly, they wouldn't introduce a policy like that unless there was some kind of history serving guys in uniform. It's the typical overreaction that seems to be associated with stories like this these days, they apologised, the apology was accepted , move on.

perhaps if someone had phoned ahead and asked the publican for permission for uniformed lads to be in the pub and explained the reason , the whole embarrassing situation would not have happened..........and it is embarrassing.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I haven't got a copy of Queens Regulations on me at the moment but i am darn sure you can not enter a licensed premises and for sure not drink in uniform without prior consent of the chain of command. This is due to a number of factors; increase in risk to personal security (both from opportunistic attack and the local hard guy who wants to boast he floored a soldier), increase risk to the reputation of the uniform and capbadge etc...which all will bring the Military into Disrepute and thus is a chargeable offence.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Can't stand the 'THEY SERVE OUR COUNTRY SO THEY CAN DO WHAT THEY WANT' crowd.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
so what?

I have seen a number of issues with serving solders, sadly a number think there a law to them selves and cause agro, and before ya start my brother inlaw is in the grenadier guards and is currently serving in Afghan so yes been out plenty of times with serving solders.
I'll give you a clue mate, squaddies DONT tend to go for a night on the piss in uniform

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
There are plenty of bars, now, and in the past that have refused entry to the military in uniform. It avoids fights that can sometimes occur between the military, and civilians..and fights between rival units and services. Its been like that forever.

The issue is that service personnel in uniform are refused entrance, people serving their country.

Agreed. It is a shame that bar owners feel they must impose such bans but clearly they do due to past bad experiences, and they are within their rights to do so.

What particularly annoys me is people jumping on any minor incident and blowing it into some kind of general statement on modern Britain. "what a lovley country we live in". What a stupid inflammatory thread title from someone who supposedly doesn't want to start a row.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here