Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

what a lovley country we live in

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
Soldiers who were pallbearers at a corporal's funeral say they were "absolutely disgusted" at being turned away from a Coventry pub on Monday.

Cpl David Allison, of The Royal Welsh, said the men had wanted tea or coffee to "calm our nerves" during rehearsals for Cpl Michael Thacker's funeral.

Thousands of people have backed a Facebook campaign calling for Browns Independent Bar to be boycotted.

The bar, which has a policy of not serving people in uniform, apologised.

Owner Ken Brown said the soldiers would have been served if staff had known the funeral was taking place.

Cpl Thacker, 27, of 1st Battalion The Royal Welsh, died on 1 June after being shot while manning an observation post in Helmand, Afghanistan.

The funeral for the soldier, who lived in Keresley, Coventry, with his wife Catherine and two-year-old daughter, took place at the city's cathedral on Monday.

His brother Matthew, a member of the same battalion, was among the pallbearers refused service at the bar.

Cpl Allison said they went into the Earl Street venue during a 40-minute break and did not want alcohol.

He tried to be served after two other soldiers were refused.

"The lads that went in, they [staff] basically said that they couldn't come in as you're in fatigues and we won't serve you," he said.

"And it sort of left a numb feeling. What can you do? You just go and that was it."

He added: "We were with Matthew, Michael's brother as well, and we wanted to calm his nerves and it just made things a little bit worse which we didn't want."

Cpl Allison said he felt "absolute disgust" at the policy, although he added that he thought the bar did not realise the funeral was taking place.

Cpl Thacker was described a "true hero" by his soldier brother Matthew
He has backed a Facebook campaign calling for people to boycott the pub on Armed Forces Day on Saturday.

"Why are you not allowed in just because of your uniform?" he said.

"You're serving your country and you're wearing a uniform with pride."

The soldier added that support from Coventry residents in general had been "absolutely amazing".

Meanwhile people from Canada, Australia and Thailand are among those who have commented on the Facebook page.

The owner of the bar, Mr Brown, said: "I can only apologise again to the family and anybody else who was upset during the funeral service.

"Just that I'm sorry and that it wouldn't have happened if we had been aware of the funeral at the rear of Brown's, in the cathedral."

Cpl Thacker's widow says she has accepted the apology.
:rant:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The owner of the bar, Mr Brown, said: "I can only apologise again to the family and anybody else who was upset during the funeral service.

"Just that I'm sorry and that it wouldn't have happened if we had been aware of the funeral at the rear of Brown's, in the cathedral."

Cpl Thacker's widow says she has accepted the apology.

This is the important part of that report. Nothing at all to get angry over.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
nothing to get angry over you prat, you have obviously never served,
Oh and this is my last coment on this as i dont want it to decend into a bin fest, and i dont want to get into an argument with hkfc ,as that is all he ever seams to want on here
i quite frankly am disgusted at this treatment of anyone attending a funeral (soldier or not )

Last edited:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
The bar owner seems to have missed the point too.

"Owner Ken Brown said the soldiers would have been served if staff had known the funeral was taking place"

What's that got to do with it. Funeral or no funeral they should still be served.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Oh and this is my last coment on this as i dont want it to decend into a bin fest, and i dont want to get into an argument with hkfc ,as that is all he ever seams to want on here
i quite frankly am disgusted at this treatment of anyone attending a funeral (soldier or not )

They didn't know there was a funeral on. It said that enough times in the article surely for you to read it.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Good 'cause you're the prat.

It was a mistake, there's been an apology, move on, nothing to see here

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
i am just glad all publicans dont behave like this. By the way note to all all serving members or veterans with their id card or veterans badge are welcomed at all crown carverys for a free meal during armed forces week

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Good 'cause you're the prat.

It was a mistake, there's been an apology, move on, nothing to see here

So, not serving people in uniform was a mistake! It sure was. There can be no excuse.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
i am just glad all publicans dont behave like this. By the way note to all all serving members or veterans with their id card or veterans badge are welcomed at all crown carverys for a free meal during armed forces week

so what?

I have seen a number of issues with serving solders, sadly a number think there a law to them selves and cause agro, and before ya start my brother inlaw is in the grenadier guards and is currently serving in Afghan so yes been out plenty of times with serving solders.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
So, not serving people in uniform was a mistake! It sure was. There can be no excuse.

If there had been trouble in the past with squaddies getting out of hand and causing trouble and/or upsetting the other customers/residents then that would be an excuse.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
so what?

I have seen a number of issues with serving soilders, sadly a number think there a law to them selves and cause agro, and before ya start my brother inlaw is grenadier guards and is currently serving in Afghan so yes been out plenty of times with serving solders.

Exactly, they wouldn't introduce a policy like that unless there was some kind of history serving guys in uniform. It's the typical overreaction that seems to be associated with stories like this these days, they apologised, the apology was accepted , move on.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
they have a policy it was not a mistake, as the article quite clearly states, the only mistake was calling it one

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here