Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

what a lovley country we live in

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
i would just like to ask cheeky monkey how many of his best friends funerals he had atended aged 18 .also how many funerals he had taken an active role in, especialy in a large cathedral. (not some poky little crematorium) having had an active role a few milatery funerals i can assure you you do get nervous i see nothintg funny about attending your best friends funeral
still its armed forces day today so something else for you all to (find funny )

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You'll probably find thepub gets busier now civvies know squaddies don't go ion there. I have no real opinion about soldiers. My only attitude is don't join the army if you don't want to fight in a war. The recent wars are going to have a masively devastating effect on forces personell because most of them will finish service and realise they fought pointless wars, that's gonna be hard to cope with.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
i would just like to ask cheeky monkey how many of his best friends funerals he had atended aged 18 .also how many funerals he had taken an active role in, especialy in a large cathedral. (not some poky little crematorium) having had an active role a few milatery funerals i can assure you you do get nervous i see nothintg funny about attending your best friends funeral
still its armed forces day today so something else for you all to (find funny )

It's just the pathetically inflammatory nature of this 'Daily Mail' style article that grates. There are more important things going on in the world than a landlord taking a decision not to serve people in his bar, and that's not being disrespectful to the armed forces, it's just a fact fella. Anything involving the armed forces is always going to divide opinion and in putting up this thread you'd have been well aware of that.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
if the pub had no idea it was due to a funeral, why didnt they say so as they were being kicked out.

surely that would have resolved everything.

Thought it was a Tea Room,after 12 years RN ,never saw a tea room destroyed or any trouble by men in uniform or any other uniform dress.
Seeing how some people dress in pubs and cafes thought No2 uniform would be smart in the 50s/60s you'd be welcome in any bar in the UK and could hitch hike anywhere,people then had respect for the uniform

Smith DID score

formerly Harvey's Best
Apr 25, 2009
Worthing
This is the important part of that report. Nothing at all to get angry over.

I'm sorry I don't get why their apology is important? To have a bizarre rule in the first place and then say they would have made an exception to it looks doubly stupid.........Of course if the rule only applied to Traffic Wardens I woukl be all for it!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
BBC News - Soldier refusal bar in Coventry closes for Armed Forces Day

A Coventry bar which refused to serve soldiers dressed in uniform has closed for Armed Forces Day amid concerns over safety.

In a statement on its website Browns Independent Bar said it would close over the weekend claiming it had been "reliably informed" of a possible risk.

BBC News - Soldier refusal bar in Coventry closes for Armed Forces Day

A Coventry bar which refused to serve soldiers dressed in uniform has closed for Armed Forces Day amid concerns over safety.

In a statement on its website Browns Independent Bar said it would close over the weekend claiming it had been "reliably informed" of a possible risk.

What a lovely country we live in where a minor misunderstanding is blown up out of all proportion and people, who were presumably not involved in the initial incident, seem to think the best solution is violence?

gully is my god

Apr 13, 2011
Hove
Thought it was a Tea Room,after 12 years RN ,never saw a tea room destroyed or any trouble by men in uniform or any other uniform dress.
Seeing how some people dress in pubs and cafes thought No2 uniform would be smart in the 50s/60s you'd be welcome in any bar in the UK and could hitch hike anywhere,people then had respect for the uniform

If you think they deserve respect thats fine, but if a problem does arise I dont see why you cant talk about it - instead they must walk around demanding respect....really?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I've only skimmed this topic but here are my thoughts:

The bar has rules, the owner stuck to them - Fair play.
The owner apologises after finding out there had been a funeral - Good on him, he didn't have to apologise for enforcing his own rules.

I've got mixed feelings about soldiers.

They do an incredibly tough job and bugger knows I don't have the stones to do what they do and deal with they have to on a daily basis.

On the other hand, every single squaddie I've ever met has been a a poorly educated, overly patriotic Neanderthal looking for a fight and a f***.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Some people really do like just rowing for the sake of it...

1) They dont serve uniforms... this is likely to be due to a history of getting their pub smashed, they are just protecting their livelihood.

2) They apologised and it was accepted.

Uniforms shouldnt take it personally, it is purely a policy of avaoiding trouble.

Another fact is it doesnt say service meant aren't allowed in... It is purely servicemens uniform..

END OF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here