Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We're going to play Palace in the semis aren't we

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Still cant believe why so many want to play Palace, if we lost - then bollocks to the 3-0 last month, they will have bragging rights over us for YEARS and will never let us forget it.

I am glad that I am not the only one thinking like this.

Years of pain for the losers, rather not risk it.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Relishing the prospect of possibly losing (as lets face it, Palace need to win sometime soon unfortunately) and then constantly getting beaten with that fact for however many years it might be until we get the chance for real payback ?

Sorry, avoiding Palace at all costs is best for everyone, also means we can just sit back and watch them get smashed (would love it if it was by Dougies Bolton) in the Semis - and then we win in the final.

People need to remember, we still lost to them 3-0 up at Shithurst, theres no guarantee we will actually win either game. Id rather be knocked out to ANY other team than Palace.

I have a lot of sympathy with this viewpoint. The thought of Zaha or Murray scoring a last minute winner at the Amex to put them through frankly terrifies me. Plus there's the fact that when we played them at the Amex last year we were all confident of Brighton win. We know how well tht went. Likewise, this yer at the Amex a lot of us were not confident of a result while Palace were. We also know how(fantastic) that turned out. So, it seems forms plays little in these games.

However, meeting place in the play offs would be a monumental and legendary encounter. It would be era-defining if we were to win. Most of us think that our club has now surpassed palace-we have the stadium, the infrastructure, the fans and very possibly the team. The future should be ours. Palace don't feel the same, obviously. They point to the past 20 years of supremacy, their 35 years in the top two divisions as to why they are still top dog. If we were to beat them in the play offs and then go up what more symbolic changing of the guard could there be?

With that in mind, I've decided to embrace the thought of a Brighton - Palace play off meeting. The greater the risk, the greater the reward.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I've gone from dreading facing Palace to now not wanting anyone else, they have looked beyond woeful lately and over two legs it could be a cricket score.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
They didnt look THAT average when they beat Blackburn 4-0 at the weekend !!

Bolton in the play-offs - Watford in the final for me, as ive said we outplayed Bolton twice this season and were unlucky not get a result in either game.

That'd be my preference. We may have a rubbish record against Freedman, but we should have beaten Palace at their place last year and I still can't quite believe we managed 1 point against Bolton in the regular season. The Jinx is there to be broken.
Think Watford are very beatable in a one-off game but wouldn't feel confident over two legs.
Want to avoid Leicester and, specifically, Wood if at all possible
Palace's confidence must be shot at present and, unless they rebound in the next few games, will be dreading the play-offs. Probably the only thing that will lift their spirits is a chance to end the hoodoo that our 3-0 has brought them. Therefore, don't want to play them either. Let Watford put pay to their chances.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Personally I think Palace will finish 6th with Bolton 5th. Although there is a glorious (but unlikely) permeation which sees Charlton pipping our good friends from up the road to the last play off place.

Just imagine........:)

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
This is looking slightly inevitable.

Remaining fixtures:
Cardiff v Bolton
Bolton v Blackpool

Blackburn v Palace
Millwall v Palace
Palace v Peterborough

Leicester v Watford
Forest v Leicester

I think Cardiff will bet Bolton as it's their last home game and they'll want a big celebration for the crowd. Bolton will beat Blackpool.
I fancy Palace will lose at Blackburn and Millwall, which will really set the scene for the Posh game who'll be fighting for their survival. Possibly Palace will lose out altogether and end up 7th (aaaahhh)

I fear Leicester will beat both Watford, as Watford already in play-offs so will be not risking any casualties. Forest would love to stop their neighbours from making the play-offs but I doubt they are good enough, so a Leicester win there I think.

I think we'll get a result at Leeds and if we're guaranteed 4th spot by the last game, The Wolves match might become a bit of an anti-climax.
I'd prefer to play Bolton over two legs than Hornets or Foxes, so let's hope Watford finish 3rd and Leicester 6th.
Then Wembley against whoever !!!!! Good end to the season for sure !!!!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Just found out that I work with a Palace fan. He's much more concerned about Freedman than Albion right now...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think it is very unpredictable and there isn't a huge chance of us playing them in the play offs. For me their game at Millwall will decide it. I can see them losing it to Blackburn and then it's just a question of whether Millwall are up for it. As things stand Millwall may still need the points so hopefully they will show up.

Then that leaves Peterborough at home for them in a must win game. I could certainly see them dropping to sixth after those games, thus avoiding us in 4th or 5th.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hoping Blackburn lose v Millwall tomorrow, and so they really will need to throw everything at Palace on Saturday.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The way I see it we went years without having any Albion vs Palace matches, so there's a lot of time to make up for. I also feel the one big win we had last month merely cancels out the big win they had in the Autumn - they've still had the best of the spoils since our return to the Championship. What we need is a statement tie when we assert ourselves as the better side. The loser will carry those scars for many a year.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I wonder what they are saying about us on their respective boards. After the thumping of Blackpool a few doubts about facing us may be surfacing.

At various points over the weekend I've been gleefully wondering about the mood at Selhurst Park when the following two words were first announced:

Brighton six....

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
We have spent the best part of the last 20 years playing at gillingham, an athletics track etc. We have had to fill our footballing luster with signings like jason peake and super mark'et. We have been close to extinction, final day game at hereford, lost our ground, lost any decent managers/players. Had moments of triumph that today would seem trivial, but at the time seemed massive.
Why would ANY Brighton fan be scared of playing palace... a team who have sustained their status by 2 admins. So what if we lost, we have endured far worse. Dont fear them or the result, WE ARE BRIGHTON, let the rest fear us for once.

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
At various points over the weekend I've been gleefully wondering about the mood at Selhurst Park when the following two words were first announced:

Brighton six....

Talking of which, were half-time scores announced/shown at the Amex on Saturday? (Or did I just miss them?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here