Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Well done boris!!!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I get where you are coming from up to a point, but I also think that:
1. The way the Government has dealt with it all so far has not been necessarily the best - Lockdown too late, Boris still shaking hands with people when he shouldn't have been, not having enough PPE stocks BEFORE anyone had heard of Covid-19, let alone being in the thick of it.
2. It is just possible that a labour government - even under Corbyn - might have taken it more seriously and made better decisions.

I am sick and tired of people carping at press criticism of the government and saying they are doing their best. I fully support all that they are doing to deal with a terrible situation, but it is government decisions which have got us there - well on the way to having the worst casualty figures in Europe.

And even now, when they have said that deaths in care homes will be included in the daily mortality figures, there was a FT journalist on the radio this morning pointing out that this will be deaths of people WHO HAVE TESTED POSITIVE, when most of those who have died in care homes probably from Covid-19 will not have been tested. Lies, damned lies and statistics.
Here here

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I get where you are coming from up to a point, but I also think that:
1. The way the Government has dealt with it all so far has not been necessarily the best - Lockdown too late, Boris still shaking hands with people when he shouldn't have been, not having enough PPE stocks BEFORE anyone had heard of Covid-19, let alone being in the thick of it.
2. It is just possible that a labour government - even under Corbyn - might have taken it more seriously and made better decisions.

I am sick and tired of people carping at press criticism of the government and saying they are doing their best. I fully support all that they are doing to deal with a terrible situation, but it is government decisions which have got us there - well on the way to having the worst casualty figures in Europe.

And even now, when they have said that deaths in care homes will be included in the daily mortality figures, there was a FT journalist on the radio this morning pointing out that this will be deaths of people WHO HAVE TESTED POSITIVE, when most of those who have died in care homes probably from Covid-19 will not have been tested. Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Who knows? It seems that Labour supporters are convinced things would have been better, maybe they would maybe they wouldn’t. Impossible to know but it’s not rocket science to realise that the political leanings would still have influenced how people are likely to have reacted.

Quite what Corbyn would have brought to the party we will never know.

I am just saddened that opinions are so influenced by political leanings :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Who knows? It seems that Labour supporters are convinced things would have been better, maybe they would maybe they wouldn’t. Impossible to know but it’s not rocket science to realise that the political leanings would still have influenced how people are likely to have reacted.

I am just saddened that opinions are so influenced by political leanings :shrug:

The rabid dribbling Labour Party supporters or anyone but a Tory Government mob wouldn’t have you believe anything else, I’m amazed you didn’t know it, these people are not a true reflection of mainstream society.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The rabid dribbling Labour Party supporters or anyone but a Tory Government mob wouldn’t have you believe anything else, I’m amazed you didn’t know it, these people are not a true reflection of mainstream society.

Yeah but NSC is the home of the lefty :wink:

Some of our brightest and most articulate posters are also lefties I accept!

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

I think it must be common knowledge, if Jezzbolah and the Quartermaster had obtained the keys to No10 the fatality rate would be in the hundreds, a lot of people on Facebook say so and they are usually correct...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I think that's rather unfair. I am almost inclined to suggest that by saying that you are simply exercising your own political leanings.

I am a labour supporter (by your definition). I have never said labour would have handled this better. I don't recall anyone saying so.

But that doesn't stop people from criticising the way Boris has handled it if they feel inclined.

As it happens I have no problem with the way Boris has handled it. I consider Boris to be a smooth talking moral vacuum but I'll save my opprobrium (if I have any) for after the dust has settled and the facts are known.

One thing I am sure of - if we had gone into lockdown immediately there would have been chaos and carnage and civil disobedience and Chinese takeway burning of a sort that would make what we actually had (the occasional idiot licking food, some nobs especially in the gammony areas of the midlands and north ignoring social distancing, and the occasional assault on people of oriental aspect) look tame.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Corbyn might have done it better. I'm not saying he would have done it better.

In terms of political leanings, in dealing with current events - i.e since decisions were having to be made about lockdown, I would comment that I think Theresa May would have done it better, Cameron might have done it better, and even John Major would have done it better.…… and I didn't vote for any of them. I hate to say it but I think that Thatcher would have done it better.

Cameron and May obviously contributed to the weak situation we found ourselves in at the beginning of the crisis (austerity, running down public services etc) but with Major and Thatcher we might not have been in as bad a position to start with in terms of PPE procurement etc.

So I don't think it is all down to political leanings!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think that's rather unfair. I am almost inclined to suggest that by saying that you are simply exercising your own political leanings.

I am a labour supporter (by your definition). I have never said labour would have handled this better. I don't recall anyone saying so.

But that doesn't stop people from criticising the way Boris has handled it if they feel inclined.

As it happens I have no problem with the way Boris has handled it. I consider Boris to be a smooth talking moral vacuum but I'll save my opprobrium (if I have any) for after the dust has settled and the facts are known.

One thing I am sure of - if we had gone into lockdown immediately there would have been chaos and carnage and civil disobedience and Chinese takeway burning of a sort that would make what we actually had (the occasional idiot licking food, some nobs especially in the gammony areas of the midlands and north ignoring social distancing, and the occasional assault on people of oriental aspect) look tame.

Fair comment

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

In terms of political leanings, in dealing with current events - i.e since decisions were having to be made about lockdown, I would comment that I think Theresa May would have done it better, Cameron might have done it better, and even John Major would have done it better.…… and I didn't vote for any of them. I hate to say it but I think that Thatcher would have done it better.

Cameron and May obviously contributed to the weak situation we found ourselves in at the beginning of the crisis (austerity, running down public services etc) but with Major and Thatcher we might not have been in as bad a position to start with in terms of PPE procurement etc.

Again, fair comment.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Yeah but NSC is the home of the lefty :wink:

Some of our brightest and most articulate posters are also lefties I accept!

And again that narrow-minded assumption that people who abhor Johnson on moralistic grounds are by default Labour voters, or ‘lefties’ as you so eloquently put it.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
And again that narrow-minded assumption that people who abhor Johnson on moralistic grounds are by default Labour voters, or ‘lefties’ as you so eloquently put it.

I wasn’t thinking of you as one of the more articulate or brighter ones :smile:

More as a confrontational one :shrug:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Problem is, as your post demonstrates, everything about what others might have done is supposition and not fact - might, think, could have, might not have etc. Everyone can adapt the narrative to fit their political agenda. I didn't vote last time ('none of the above' would have been my choice), I know this lot have made some pretty big mistakes but also think they will have been under immense stress, received multiple conflicting pieces of advice at every stage, had to compete with virtually every country globally for limited resources, lost a leader for 2 weeks and managed to a whole ton of positive stuff which gets no credit or airtime as the opposers and most of the press are always looking for any negative aspect to exploit and score points (in the same way if we beat Man City 4-1, we'd have a whole series of threads about Maty making a mistake for their consolation goal - come to think of it, would probably be the same posters :D)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Problem is, as your post demonstrates, everything about what others might have done is supposition and not fact - might, think, could have, might not have etc. Everyone can adapt the narrative to fit their political agenda. I didn't vote last time ('none of the above' would have been my choice), I know this lot have made some pretty big mistakes but also think they will have been under immense stress, received multiple conflicting pieces of advice at every stage, had to compete with virtually every country globally for limited resources, lost a leader for 2 weeks and managed to a whole ton of positive stuff which gets no credit or airtime as the opposers and most of the press are always looking for any negative aspect to exploit and score points (in the same way if we beat Man City 4-1, we'd have a whole series of threads about Maty making a mistake for their consolation goal - come to think of it, would probably be the same posters :D)

I totally agree! I was just trying to answer the "what people think/say will always be dictated by their political leanings" point. One can recognise that, even though you don't like politician X, they would have dealt with this well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here