Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Well done boris!!!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I've got a dozen Albion flags from different years plus a socking great EU one. I'll start waving them this evening.

Have fun!!!

Trigger Warning

Gettingitdone).jpg

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
:goal: End of thread.

These threads will always be party political, fact.

Not really. Of all the times I've voted, I've voted Labour the least.

(What does happen quite often is that if someone disagrees with someone then they accuse them of party political bigotry. If they agree with them this changes to humane common sense, etc, etc.)

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I think that's rather unfair. I am almost inclined to suggest that by saying that you are simply exercising your own political leanings.

I am a labour supporter (by your definition). I have never said labour would have handled this better. I don't recall anyone saying so.

But that doesn't stop people from criticising the way Boris has handled it if they feel inclined.

As it happens I have no problem with the way Boris has handled it. I consider Boris to be a smooth talking moral vacuum but I'll save my opprobrium (if I have any) for after the dust has settled and the facts are known.

One thing I am sure of - if we had gone into lockdown immediately there would have been chaos and carnage and civil disobedience and Chinese takeway burning of a sort that would make what we actually had (the occasional idiot licking food, some nobs especially in the gammony areas of the midlands and north ignoring social distancing, and the occasional assault on people of oriental aspect) look tame.

I agree.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Who knows? It seems that Labour supporters are convinced things would have been better, maybe they would maybe they wouldn’t. Impossible to know but it’s not rocket science to realise that the political leanings would still have influenced how people are likely to have reacted.

Quite what Corbyn would have brought to the party we will never know.

I am just saddened that opinions are so influenced by political leanings :shrug:

Of course you're right that political leanings can affect the way we think about specific things but remember that the most damaging and meticulous criticism of the way this government approached the pandemic came from a broadsheet newspaper that backed Brexit in the referendum and supported the Tories in the two subsequent elections and Johnson in his leadership campaign. That's what made it so concerning.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The rabid dribbling Labour Party supporters or anyone but a Tory Government mob wouldn’t have you believe anything else, I’m amazed you didn’t know it, these people are not a true reflection of mainstream society.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

See above.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I wonder if we had a female Labour prime minister who was having her sixth child from a third partner, who she was carrying on with while she was married, whether the reception would be quite so positive.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
I wonder if we had a female Labour prime minister who was having her sixth child from a third partner, who she was carrying on with while she was married, whether the reception would be quite so positive.

Indeed. A lot of the Tory voters on here who feel the Boris bashing is solely about political leanings are missing the fact that for many it’s primarily about what an odious, morally bankrupt character the man is.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I think its clear to see, looking at what goes on around the world and here, once people are set in their ways (politically) not very much will ever change their views. Even when complete incompetence slaps them in the face.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
£1500 of champagne turned up at 10 Downing Street this evening. Not even through a service door...

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
£1500 of champagne turned up at 10 Downing Street this evening. Not even through a service door...

I think that could be described as conspicuous consumption! Very sensitive at a time when loads of people are suffering.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
One thing I am sure of - if we had gone into lockdown immediately there would have been chaos and carnage and civil disobedience and Chinese takeway burning of a sort that would make what we actually had (the occasional idiot licking food, some nobs especially in the gammony areas of the midlands and north ignoring social distancing, and the occasional assault on people of oriental aspect) look tame.

Totally agree.

That hadn’t crossed my mind 5 weeks ago, if anything a couple of weeks into lockdown, I thought like many with the benefit of hindsight ... “if only we’d done full mandatory lockdown a week or two earlier”.

But noting how bored people have been for a couple of weeks now, the amount of people I now see completely ignoring social distancing one way or another, the vastly increased non-commercial traffic on the roads (traffic was mentioned at today’s press conference) .... all made me realise that a sizeable proportion of Brits from across ‘the classes’ have a short attention span and reached the end of it sometime ago.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Slapper

I wonder if we had a female Tory prime minister who was having her sixth child from a third partner, who she was carrying on with while she was married, whether the reception would be quite so positive.

Slapper

I wonder if we had a female Lib Dem prime minister who was having her sixth child from a third partner, who she was carrying on with while she was married, whether the reception would be quite so positive.

Slapper......snigger ........LOL PM.....fat chance

I think thats how it works isnt it in the eyes of society still?

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Corbyn might have done it better. I'm not saying he would have done it better.

In terms of political leanings, in dealing with current events - i.e since decisions were having to be made about lockdown, I would comment that I think Theresa May would have done it better, Cameron might have done it better, and even John Major would have done it better.…… and I didn't vote for any of them. I hate to say it but I think that Thatcher would have done it better.

Cameron and May obviously contributed to the weak situation we found ourselves in at the beginning of the crisis (austerity, running down public services etc) but with Major and Thatcher we might not have been in as bad a position to start with in terms of PPE procurement etc.

So I don't think it is all down to political leanings!

While you are dishing out the blame don’t forget the Labour Party under Blair and Brown which gave us a “light touch” regulatory system for the banks and financial services sector............we know how that turned out, albeit the Chancellor did recognise their failings eventually.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-14888933

And also PFI contracts, which has tied up billions of pounds of taxpayers money to private companies for decades..........an absolute scandal. Yeah, sure we can trust the fortunes of the NHS in Labour’s hands.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...usts-to-pay-out-further-55bn-under-pfi-scheme

As always too many one eyed views on here.........if the NHS budget in recent years didn’t have enough money to let’s say stockpile PPE we can definitely spread the blame wider than the Tories under the current Govt..

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

Nonsense. What is that based on ? Leadership was required. What was happening in other countries was clear, we were going to be no different. People are not stupid. There are idiots who would have reacted of course but that will always happen.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
And were we on the same trajectory as Germany there would be great national pride. As it stands we have all done our bit but decisions made are turning it into nightmare. It's not hindsight. Our scientists could see what was happening elsewhere. In conjunction with our politicians they got it wrong. And the numbers will tell the story.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here