Wayne Rooney - enough already

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
He should put up and shut up. If he's as good as he thinks he is then he should go and make himself undropable.

Not a very endearing character. Everything that makes me go off football.
Absolutely this :thumbsup: Vastly over-rated nowadays for me and United certainly have a better option in RvP/ Generally, I reckon it's the people who whinge in the papers who have realised that they're not going to be able to do it on the pitch anymore.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yeah, fair point on crouch's current form. Hadn't taken that into consideration with him when thinking about the England team, mainly because I don't pay much attention to stoke. I still think England are better without Rooney, regardless of who replaces him, maybe it's the Vicente factor, where we only go through him so if our opponents isolate him we are useless.

When you say, 'go through him' do you mean pump aimless balls forward in the hope it gets to him?

England 'going through someone' would suggest an ability to pass the football. :moo:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Ricky lambert got more premier league goals than Rooney last season, as did theo Walcott playing as a striker more. Peter crouch has a good record for England, I know he is criticised for not scoring against big teams for England, but he isn't often given much of a chance against them. The few games he played against big international teams were as substitute appearances, and if not scoring against brazil in the 60mins you were on the field is enough to write him off, how about going about a year without a competitive goal, like Rooney did? England score more frequently and win more frequently without Rooney, perhaps it's not as important who we replace him with as just getting him out of the team (or at least only play him when he is in good form, not make him an automatic pick as hodgson recently suggested)

Are you seriously suggesting England should drop Wayne Rooney and replace him with Ricky Lambert?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Are you seriously suggesting England should drop Wayne Rooney and replace him with Ricky Lambert?

I think so. We should finally accept we are the Stoke of international football. Hit it long to Crouch and Lambert, let Walcott and Chamberlain chase down the loose balls.....Let Wilshere pretend there is some resemblance to football with the occasional pass. We really don't need Rooney.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The best thing is that Moyes is evidently fed up with all Rooney's posturing too, hence his quite outstanding damning of him with faint praise (ie saying he wanted him to stay as he needed back up for RVP).

Rooney pissed a lot of people off with his lies about "ambition" two years ago, when we all knew it was purely about money. Well you know what you can do with your ambition, Wayne :lolol:

I think so. We should finally accept we are the Stoke of international football. Hit it long to Crouch and Lambert, let Walcott and Chamberlain chase down the loose balls.....Let Wilshere pretend there is some resemblance to football with the occasional pass. We really don't need Rooney.

Don't we do that already? Hasn't worked very well has it?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

We do better without rooney. Ricky Lambert was the highest scoring english man in the premier league last season. He has scored goals at every level he has played at. Why not give it a go?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We do better without rooney. Ricky Lambert was the highest scoring english man in the premier league last season. He has scored goals at every level he has played at. Why not give it a go?

When?

When have we done BETTER?

How do you define better with this wretched England side over the past decade!?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
For England

2012 - 5 games, 4 goals
2013 - 5 games 4 goals.

Yep. He's rubbish.

I've always thought that Rooney tends to get better results in an England shirt. For Example, in the recent game against Brazil, he was anonymous for most of the game and then scored a world-class goal. He seems to have the ability to find that moment of quality when he is in an England shirt, something he seems to have lacked for Manchester United last season (arguably, his partnership with Tevez bought the best out of him at United).

I think a move will benefit him - I just think a move abroad would be better for the England team.

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
Brilliant post above about how Rooney seems to be contradicting himself left right and centre. Will have to steal that one too! Funny thing with Wayne is he has had a very modest upbringing, one that would usually pave way to a grounded individual in the future (i.e. Gerrard Carragher at Liverpool)

Very good player, performs well in midfield or defence.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
If he moved to Chelsea and was their focal point ie the centre forward, supported by Hazard(who will only get better) and Mata and Oscar then I would have no probably in suggesting he will get 20+ goals. He can finish.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Do you know what?

I actually think I might be starting to LIKE Wazza. I don't know why, or how - I'm guessing it must be because he's beginning to disassociate himself from United (my worst football team) - but I'm beginning to feel small stirrings of affection for the bloke.

Hope he moves on and starts rampaging for someone else.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton

I seem to remember not so long ago that some people felt Grant Holt should get an England call-up when he hit a purple patch for Norwich. He has now just signed for Wigan, which would suggest he wasn't quite the solution to England's centre forward puzzle after all. Likewise, the previous season Danny Graham was 2nd highest English goalscorer in the Premier League, but is now about to sign for Hull on loan.

Lambert's a better player than Holt, for sure, and has quite a bit more going for him than sticking the ball in the net. But it's a big step-up from scoring goals for Southampton to scoring them for England, which is presumably why Roy Hodgson has so far been reticent in calling him up. That said, the things going for Lambert are that he is a late developer, has scored quite a few goals against marquee opposition and perhaps most crucially, is deadly from 12 yards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports