Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Rooney - enough already

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Fed up with this non story. Just tell us if he moves, eh? I'm fed up with hearing some of the more well respected managers in the game courting the jug eared money grabbing chav.

One thing I will say is that Rooney is apparently "angry and confused" at Man Utd. You what? Have they stopped paying this overrated ****'s £200k a week wages, or have they simply dared to drop him because of the piffling matter of RVP being five times better?

It's every single summer with Rooney, so I just tune it out. Plus I'm pretty sure he's just constantly angry and confused.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Really getting fed up with all this speculation in The Prem. The clubs lower down The Prem must think they are in a different league. Its my fault for listening to Talksport but they are now going OTT with this Rooney thing. Had enough of hearing Alan champagne Brazil saying " Can't quite get my head around this", funtastic, brilliant, brilliant.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Mata alone is worth Rooney. You have to assume they're making a point that they can't be bullied into selling one of their "best" players like Arsenal regularly end up doing. Set an example and in the future clubs will be less eager to bid for unsettled players.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Mata alone is worth Rooney. You have to assume they're making a point that they can't be bullied into selling one of their "best" players like Arsenal regularly end up doing. Set an example and in the future clubs will be less eager to bid for unsettled players.

I think it must be a print error and it is actually Rooney +£10m for Mata. It surely can't be the other way round!!?? ???

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
This is supposedly a top player, who, if you study him, is blowing out of his arse after 70 mins of every game.
Fergie tolerated him whilst he was at his peak. He even allowed himself to be held to ransom as Rooney and his agent squeezed a massive pay rise out of United. Fergie announced the signing of RVP as the last bit of his jigsaw. A lot of people thought this meant his strikers were complete i.e Rooney + RVP.
Wrong...Fergie bought RVP to replace Rooney. He knew Rooney had peaked and because of his build and make-up, he'll be finished around the 29-30 mark.
Like the rest of you, I lost interest in Mr Rooney some time ago. Overrated and vastly overpaid. A good club player and a decent international but some way short of top class. Just stay or go. I don't care.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Couldn't care less where he plays week in week out but pppplllllleeeeeaaaaassssseeeee end his England career now !

Yes let's end the England career of someone who's got 8 goals in his last 10 games for England. He's just about the only one who regularly delivers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To be frank I don't really care just as long as they understand and respect the honour of pulling on an England shirt.
I'm not being obtuse (on purpose) but I still feel the need to ask the same question, who?

Is there any respect and honour playing for England?
Are the players treated with respect and honour?
There should be, there would be for the likes of us, there was for DBec.
I think Ashley Cole and perhaps Frank Lampard fill that role now, but I'm struggling to think of any other English player capable of playing international football and fill your criteria.

rjbseagull

Apr 27, 2010
Sorry but that BBC story is frankly bizarre.

There's been talk of Rooney going for around the £25 million mark. Luiz is supposedly interesting Barca for around £30 million and Mata has been Chelsea's best player for the last two years, easilly worth £30 million.

Find it IMPOSSIBLE to believe Chelsea have offered them £10 MILLION + one of those two.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I'm bored too. If you want to be first choice - get better and be un-droppable. RvP is a better player albeit a slightly different type, but I'd pick him first.

Absolutely this.

The trouble is, he has been surrounded by sycophantic groupies, lackies, agents and other cling-ons since he was about 14, so has heard little but how brilliant he is for half his life (probably longer). He's confused because it's all very different now because he is no longer top dog (and because he is unbelievably fooking STUPID)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
and replace him with ...

Ricky lambert got more premier league goals than Rooney last season, as did theo Walcott playing as a striker more. Peter crouch has a good record for England, I know he is criticised for not scoring against big teams for England, but he isn't often given much of a chance against them. The few games he played against big international teams were as substitute appearances, and if not scoring against brazil in the 60mins you were on the field is enough to write him off, how about going about a year without a competitive goal, like Rooney did? England score more frequently and win more frequently without Rooney, perhaps it's not as important who we replace him with as just getting him out of the team (or at least only play him when he is in good form, not make him an automatic pick as hodgson recently suggested)

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Not really living up to thay explosive early potential is he? Dont understand why more young english players dont go abroad to holland or germany andreceive a better standard of coaching. Well I do know why, kaching!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Chelsea statement confirms their bid, but denies it involved offering any of their players.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Ricky lambert got more premier league goals than Rooney last season, as did theo Walcott playing as a striker more. Peter crouch has a good record for England, I know he is criticised for not scoring against big teams for England, but he isn't often given much of a chance against them. The few games he played against big international teams were as substitute appearances, and if not scoring against brazil in the 60mins you were on the field is enough to write him off, how about going about a year without a competitive goal, like Rooney did?

Peter Crouch doesn't always get in Stoke's starting XI these days, which doesn't really help his cause. The reason he was discarded was because of his tendency to clumsily foul opposition defenders, something which referees tend to clamp down on in international football. Indeed, Crouch picked up 2 yellow cards inside the first 15 minutes for Tottenham in the Champions League a couple of years ago to illustrate the point.

Despite the less savoury side to his character, Rooney is the fifth highest England goalscorer of all time and must stand a pretty decent chance of getting to the top by the time his England career ends, as he is currently 13 behind Bobby Charlton. Whereas in the 1990s there were a number of prolific number 9s around at the same time, they aren't really that many realistic options now to put him under any real pressure when his form dips.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
No mention of Matta being 'Angry and Confused' is there.
What right has any player got to say he will not play second fiddle to another. Its on the merits at the time. If he thinks he is that good, surely he has nothiong to worry about.
Clearly engineering a transfer

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Peter Crouch doesn't always get in Stoke's starting XI these days, which doesn't really help his cause. The reason he was discarded was because of his tendency to clumsily foul opposition defenders, something which referees tend to clamp down on in international football. Indeed, Crouch picked up 2 yellow cards inside the first 15 minutes for Tottenham in the Champions League a couple of years ago to illustrate the point.

Despite the less savoury side to his character, Rooney is the fifth highest England goalscorer of all time and must stand a pretty decent chance of getting to the top by the time his England career ends, as he is currently 13 behind Bobby Charlton. Whereas in the 1990s there were a number of prolific number 9s around at the same time, they aren't really that many realistic options now to put him under any real pressure when his form dips.

Yeah, fair point on crouch's current form. Hadn't taken that into consideration with him when thinking about the England team, mainly because I don't pay much attention to stoke. I still think England are better without Rooney, regardless of who replaces him, maybe it's the Vicente factor, where we only go through him so if our opponents isolate him we are useless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here