Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Rooney - enough already

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well it wasn't meant to be a cheap shot. There are reasons why tennis remained part of our sporting landscape. Primarily because it's another game we invented, and secondly because we host the biggest tournament in the sport. Success is only one of the major factors in determining the relevance of a sport, long term, and this is not a uniquely British phenomenon. France hasn't had a TdF winner since 1985, yet that doesn't stop Le Tour being splattered all over the back page of L'Equipe every day in the summer.

Sorry, it wasn't intended. I just strongly disagreed with it. :thumbsup:

You didn't need to apologise but it's accepted none the less. I have just purchased a pair of cycling shorts. If the sight of me in these shorts doesn't help drag UK cycling up to Wimbledon levels off hysteria I don't know what will.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Of course he would. Jo makes the Brazil squad, as you saying he is better than Rooney? He's better than Pedro and Soldado for Spain as well, he'd definitely make both those squads.

Maybe top 30 is pushing it, I'll make it top 50. He's certainly in the top 30 most talented players, he's just struggled the last year or so, and has the misfortune of playing in a poor England side, in which he still gets a goal every other game or so. If he was that bad then Mourinho wouldn't be fighting so hard to get him, would he? He tends to know his stuff.
I think the fact that he probably sneaks into those two world cup squads pretty much rules out top 30 status for Wayne Rooney. And come to think of it, top 50 is probably pushing it too these days. A shame really, because a few years ago he really was one of the top ten players in the world.

And Mourinho wants Rooney because they are desparate for a striker good enough for the Champions League. They've missed out on 4 better strikers already this season - Tevez, Suarez, Falcao and Cavani. I'm not saying Rooney is on a par with Darren Bent, it's just that equally he's not in the same bracket as those four either, nor Robin Van Persie for that matter.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Top 20 or 30 players? Absolute rubbish. I doubt he'd make the Brazil or Spain World Cup squads. That's 48 players for a start.

:lol: So because YOU don't think he'd get in the spain or Brazil squads (I think he would FWIW) that then makes 6 Goalkeepers better footballers than him lol. Think about your logic - I expected better from you!

Oct 25, 2003
i personally don't think rooney has consistently produced against the worlds best to be considered world class

for example, he's now had 4 tournaments with england...personally i think he only really impressed in one of them (2004). Not sure he's really excelled against the top sides in the champions league either

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
He's fat, slow, overpaid, overrated and is one of the worst role models imaginable for our kids. I'm not a Man Utd fan by a long shot, but have a lot of respect for Moyes and wish him success in a most difficult job.
Rooney? Chelsea deserve him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here