Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Bridge rumours [Merged]

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I was never 100% convinced by Mattock. Good player mind, and I would have been happy to keep him, but I would have hoped we would find better.

I have mixed feelings about this focus on loanees rather than permanent transfers. It is great to have a few marquee signings to get the juices flowing but worries me a bit not have a more settled squad to build for the future. I guess the priority is to use the valuable experience from players like Bridge to get you into the Premiership and then go on a proper spending spree.

I do agree about Mattock probably being good enough for us but that maybe there is also a better long term solution for LB out there. At least he would have been a permanent signing and being young had a chance to develop with us, plus you don't have all this uncertainty and lack of cointinuity that loanees bring which cannot be ideal for building a competitive squad.

Loanees like Bridge who on paper bring valuable experience and the kudos of an international / Premiership reputation but you cannot be certain of their form, motivation and commitment (a certain Spaniard comes to mind). I wonder how WB's motivation is given that he is getting £90k a week mostly for sitting in the stands. Hopefully this hasn't diluted his hunger to play the game. Maybe a fresh environment at The Amex might just give him the spark that he needs.

Secondly it seems the type of players we are looking at are the wrong side of 30 (presumably because thats what we are able to afford) which is ok as long as they are fit but very much a shorter term solution to get us into contention for promotion but is not really building for the future. On the other hand if we can find gems like Kevin Phillips who show they can still do a job in the mid thirties thats fine.

Players like Bridge might give you a season and hopefully get you an automatic promotion or at least into the play-offs but then what? I suppose if we then get to the holy grail of the Premiership and the riches that await there then Gus would get a budget to reflect this.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Let's see what the next few weeks brings then. I wish I had your confidence about Gus getting a decent striker in.

It's not so much about confidence in gus, as it is about the fact the transfer window only officially opened last week, and there's almost two months until it closes. It's like giving up on a football match after ten minutes because it's still 0-0.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I think the biggest issue for us is to turn round our end of season form - it isn't a clean slate and we don't have momentum in our favour as we start this season so it is going to be doubly tough. A few new faces in critical areas helps enormously to create fresh momentum. It looks like Gus is addressing the problem of sides being able to pass round and through us too easily. Now he just needs to address the need to get someone up alongside/ahead of CMS.

I shouldn't worry too much about momentum Mr. Gull.

We came to a very stuttery conclusion to our last season in League 1 (albeit 'cos we'd won the league), the last 2 home games in particular giving us no momentum yet we started life in the Championship at a cracking pace.

Also, this year there is an even longer closed season and I think that such a big break will nullify the impact of our limp conclusion to last year's campaign.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Does his GF still live down here either in Brighton or reasonably near by, at least within daily travelling distance. I am sure I read that she stayed down here because of work in London

I can happily confirm miss Sandford spends a lot of time in Brighton. Hove, in fact.... :blush: Sorry, Wayne!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The Clubs who don't go up because their promotion place is taken by the club playing the players thay can't afford to pay out of their own funds.

I don't have this sense of unease. This is a pragmatic deal that suits both clubs and the player, and would presumably be available to many other clubs in our division on similar terms if they were attractive enough to the owning club and the player. Why is it such an issue?

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I don't have this sense of unease. This is a pragmatic deal that suits both clubs and the player, and would presumably be available to many other clubs in our division on similar terms if they were attractive enough to the owning club and the player. Why is it such an issue?

Absolutely! A splendid way of redistributing the foreign billions amongst the lower leagues.........

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I see it as a lot better than taking players on at massive wages they can't afford and then screwing creditors over two or three times in quick succession.

If a deal is struck that both teams are happy with it is a win - win situation and it's not as if any other club cannot strike up exactly the same type of deal.

I don't have a problem with it.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

I am looking forward to seeing Bridge playing for us. I am not making it such an issue - I do not think the rules are right, and it makes me feel uncomfortable. I wish we had our own player, or a player whose wages we could afford.

But pushing it to its logical extreme - would you be happy with a team made up of loanees where the lending club were paying the wages ? Would you be happy if Palace did it ?

As I say - I am not making a big issue of it - but these deals do not seem right to me.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I am looking forward to seeing Bridge playing for us. I am not making it such an issue - I do not think the rules are right, and it makes me feel uncomfortable. I wish we had our own player, or a player whose wages we could afford.

But pushing it to its logical extreme - would you be happy with a team made up of loanees where the lending club were paying the wages ? Would you be happy if Palace did it ?

As I say - I am not making a big issue of it - but these deals do not seem right to me.

isn't that exactly why they have limits on the number of loan players you can have?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
isn't that exactly why they have limits on the number of loan players you can have?

Well that is a rule I do agree with. If there was not a problem with the practice I am not sure why they put a limit on it. Anyway - I am boring myself on this one now.

Welcome Wayne. I am sure we will help you rediscover your love of the game.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Let's see what the next few weeks brings then. I wish I had your confidence about Gus getting a decent striker in.

At LEAST a month. So, the guy who brought us Bridcutt, Vicente, CMS, Calderon (in League One), now Kuszczak and Saltor, yeah he's shit isn't he?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's not so much about confidence in gus, as it is about the fact the transfer window only officially opened last week, and there's almost two months until it closes. It's like giving up on a football match after ten minutes because it's still 0-0.

Spot on. Transfer season has JUST STARTED.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
At LEAST a month. So, the guy who brought us Bridcutt, Vicente, CMS, Calderon (in League One), now Kuszczak and Saltor, yeah he's shit isn't he?

Don't recall CMS and Vicente playing for us in League 1...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Don't recall CMS and Vicente playing for us in League 1...

Calderon (in League One) was a superb signing. So were Ankergren and Painter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here