Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Vile racist language in the South Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Thanks for your earlier clarification - you are right, stewards aren’t all along the terraces but they are positioned at the exit points so, what I meant was, in that situation, it would be more appropriate I think to just get up and walk to the nearest Steward and speak to them quietly, rather than have some sort of ‘anti-social hotline’ -

By all accounts, the OP acted very appropriately both for the protection of his own child and in getting the Stewards involved. It obviously is not acceptable to have racist and profane language being shouted in a public area but there are appropriate and inappropriate ways to respond and I think the Club officials/Stewards/Police are best placed to decide which course of action is required once the behaviour has been reported. I cringe and get annoyed every time I hear a profanity within earshot of a young child (and have often spoken to whoever is guilty of it if it is obviously not because of an ASD or Mental Health issue) and I don’t have kids so god knows what a parent must feel like if they also hate profanity and racist remarks near their own kids.

In terms of going forward, I have always been very impressed with the level of training and quality of our match stewards - they will be trained to deal with issues in a sensitive way, especially with regard to any form of disability or ASD - stewards offering the service of the Inclusion Room or space in the disabled seating area and offering to help take them there, might be exactly what the parents or guardians would welcome in a situation where a child is being triggered - a much quieter environment, less sensory overload, more comfortable seating and better views. In the OP’s incident, it didn’t sound that that was necessary by the time the Steward arrived but the parents/guardians did subsequently confirm apparently that their child was autistic so I am sure, if they didn’t know beforehand about the Club’s Inclusion Room, it almost certainly would have been offered for the future if required.

What the Club could maybe do going forward from this incident, is to include on the ticket purchasing process online, a short questionnaire before completing payment asking whether ‘you’ or anyone ‘you’ are buying tickets for, has any special needs or disabilities and would prefer a more accessible seating area or would like to book the Inclusion Room if tickets are available with a link to ‘more information’. There could be an option, once that is completed not to be asked again, in future purchases. Just an idea.

Sometimes, what is needed in these situations is support not confrontation (edit - for everyone involved!)
My kids are all grown up in their twenties now all have gone to Albion games from the ages of 5 or 6 people swear at football grounds, some chants have swear words in them what are you trying to protect children from exactly? Football generally has no reflection on real life my kids from an early age know what happens at football stays at football. I very rarely hear them swear even now they might drop the occasional F bomb like most of us from time to time.
I would suggest if a parent doesn’t want their child to hear swear words then a football ground isn’t the ideal place to take them. It’s up to you if you want to try and self police other fans although as I’ve said most parents will be aware people swear at football grounds.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
My kids are all grown up in their twenties now all have gone to Albion games from the ages of 5 or 6 people swear at football grounds, some chants have swear words in them what are you trying to protect children from exactly? Football generally has no reflection on real life my kids from an early age know what happens at football stays at football. I very rarely hear them swear even now they might drop the occasional F bomb like most of us from time to time.
I would suggest if a parent doesn’t want their child to hear swear words then a football ground isn’t the ideal place to take them. It’s up to you if you want to try and self police other fans although as I’ve said most parents will be aware people swear at football grounds.
Swearing?

You've read what happened and what was said and your focus in on swearing?

fWIW, If this was about swearing then I would totally agree.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Swearing?

You've read what happened and what was said and your focus in on swearing?

fWIW, If this was about swearing then I would totally agree.
Well if you read the post I was replying to you would understand. The poster says he ticks off fans who swear in ear shot of a kid.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Well if you read the post I was replying to you would understand. The poster says he ticks off fans who swear in ear shot of a kid.
Ah right that makes sense. I must have skimmed over that bit. As you were.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Another sound and reasonably well thought out, articulate response from another Southern Hemisphere chum.
very well thought out on my part because i'm not a soft twatt ...if something is bothering you, deal with it , in this case the guardian should have been left in no doubt that his dependants behaviour and language was unacceptable ....how anyone can argue with that is well and truly beyond me ....!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I have 2 autistic children and reading this thread makes me really worry for them and how people perceive them.
It also shows how poorly educated some people are on this, but yet are happy to spout such disgusting views.
We find as a family most people are lovely and very accommodating but this shows how far we have to go with showing that not all disabilities are visible.
If you don’t have any factual knowledge or lived experience of the subject, either educate yourself on it or keep your horrible opinions to yourself.
don't worry mate , i think we can all agree that perhaps a football stadium with 25 k irate fans is probably not the best situation in which to deposit an autistic 8 year old .......it's not the lads fault
@BadFish a notable exception.

What is it about Australia that spawns these posters: spider bites, too much sun, the coriolis effect?

, it's the idiot who took him to the game ...imho.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
very well thought out on my part because i'm not a soft twatt ...if something is bothering you, deal with it , in this case the guardian should have been left in no doubt that his dependants behaviour and language was unacceptable ....how anyone can argue with that is well and truly beyond me ....!
Such eloquence.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Well thanks for quoting and mis-quoting my post and completely reinterpreting it to support your own post (which is stating the fricking obvious btw)

This thread and my post isn’t about the normal ‘swearing’ at football matches - Where did I suggest I am trying to protect children at football matches from swearing and on what content in my post gives you grounds to suggest I want to ‘self-police‘ other fans for swearing or that I go to football matches and ‘tick’ people off for swearing?!? My comment about swearing in front of kids and speaking to adults about it, refers to general life situations not at football matches - I only mentioned it as a comparison to how much worse a Father of a 5 year old kid would have felt with a constant stream of extreme profanity and racist comments going on behind him while he had his 5 year old kid with him.

As it happened, I also would have reported it to the Steward, the Club and football in general has zero tolerance to racist comments as do I.

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Well if you read the post I was replying to you would understand. The poster says he ticks off fans who swear in ear shot of kids at football matches
Ah right that makes sense. I must have skimmed over that bit. As you were.
Jeez I did NOT SAY that I “Tick off fans about swearing at football matches” Those are YOUR WORDS. I made a non-specific comment referring to ‘real life’ outside of a stadium situation and that I might have a word but said nothing about ‘ticking people off’.

I swear all the time at football matches and most probably in earshot of kids - but I don’t shout racist abuse and extreme profanities as the OP said he was experiencing - so yes, in that situation, if I heard that, I would definitely take action and report it to the nearest steward as I hope ‘most’ people would, regardless of there being kids in earshot or not.

And no, I disagree that we should bar people with disabilities or autism from football matches as some are saying, we accommodate them and welcome them - as the club does, but as I said in my post, they should be in appropriate seating areas according to their needs and the needs of others.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Jeez I did NOT SAY THAT I Tick off fans about swearing at football matches. It was a non-specific comment referring to ‘real life’ outside of a stadium situation.

I swear all the time at football matches and most probably in earshot of kids - but I don’t shout racist abuse and extreme profanities as the OP said he was experiencing - so yes, in that situation, if I heard that, I would definitely take action and report it to the nearest steward as I hope ‘most’ people would, regardless of there being kids in earshot or not.

And no, I disagree that we should bar people with disabilities or autism from football matches as some are saying, we accommodate them and welcome them - as the club does, but as I said in my post, they should be in appropriate seating areas according to their needs and the needs of others.
So you feel justified to swear over 90 minutes in ear shot of a kid at football yet if it happened on the bus on the way home you find that offensive enough to have a word with the perpetrator?
What do you actually believe in?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
So you feel justified to swear over 90 minutes in ear shot of a kid at football yet if it happened on the bus on the way home you find that offensive enough to have a word with the perpetrator?
What do you actually believe in?
I believe that at football grounds it is a case of Volenti non fit iniuria

For people like yourself (edit for clarity! - meaning untrained in law ) who are probably ignorant (edit for clarity! - in this contextignorant of’ meaning lacking knowledge of particular facts or a subject ->) of the finer principles of jurisprudence (ie legal philosophy), that means “to a willing person, injury is not done”

(Ps I don’t use public transport to get to and fro from the Amex so using the example of swearing on the bus on the way home to construct your argument is a fallacy 🤷‍♂️)

PPS and you are taking this thread well off topic because as I and others have said, this thread is NOT about run of the mill ‘F’ words at football matches as you well know, nor was my post that you initially quoted.

Edited to clarify the linguistics because apparently Justice was not done 🙄

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I believe that at football grounds it is a case of Volenti non fit iniuria

For people like yourself who are probably ignorant of the finer principles of jurisprudence, that means “to a willing person, injury is not done”

(Ps I don’t use public transport to get to and throw from the Amex so using the example of swearing on the bus on the way home to construct your argument is a fallacy 🤷‍♂️)
And the mask slips, it usually doesn’t take long.

Reactions: cjd

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
And the mask slips, it usually doesn’t take long?

What on earth does that mean? Clearly you have had some kind of agenda here - you mis-interpreted my posts, mis-quoting me, making false presumptions in your posts to other people about what I actually said, challenged me several times on issues completely irrelevant to the thread topic or what my original post was about and trying but failing several times to try and trip me up and now accusing me of what exactly?

It’s your very poor fitting mask that’s slipped mate 🧌

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
What on earth does that mean? Clearly you have had some kind of agenda here - you mis-interpreted my posts, mis-quoting me, making false presumptions in your posts to other people about what I actually said, challenged me several times on issues completely irrelevant to the thread topic or what my original post was about.

It’s your very poor fitting mask that’s slipped mate 🙂
I may disagree with a poster although I never try to insult them or their intelligence for a cheap shot. I didn’t insult you I simply stated what you posted.
If you have to result to insults trying to make a point then you’ve already lost in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here