Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente - one year contract extension exercised by the Albion

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
One other thing, would the club really put this news out, if he wasn't going to / didn't want to stay? Imagine the disappointment & how stupid they'd look.

Yes that's a good point, unless he's agreed to join a rival club and it's a big f*** YOU to them, and him.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
OMG what is it with all the doom and gloom on this site.... vicente is STAYING!!!

I does nothing to say though that vicente has agreed or wanted to it, with only 4 days until his contract runs out, are the club now saying "you're staying"....... Would be much nicer to read that Vicente informed the club he would like to stay and so the club have exercised the option. Maybe that is the case, I hope so
years

Reading what Poyet has previously said, the club would leave it up to Vicente to decide whether he wanted to stay or not and would not activate the second year option if Vicente was not happy, One must asume that Vicente is happy to stay. Great news.

Last edited:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
i don't think you can extend someones contract without them agreeing to it can you?

yes, if someone wants to buy him, they'll have to pay us......that's the situation with any player under contract no?

You can. That's the point of 'options'. Vicente had no say as to whether or not we excersied that option. I'd like to think we wouldn't do so without his word, but that isn't clear.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Poyet said he would only exercise the extension if that is what Vicente wanted. Don't forget, Poyet is an ex-player, so knows the score and the detrimental affect it would have to force a player to stay.
Players that are worth money that are transfer listed are always being forced to stay until a buyer is found, that's how the business works. You don't let multi million pound assets walk off. If it really was as simple as extending, why didn't we do that 3 months ago, then sell him if he wanted to go elsewhere? If his original contract gave us the option to extend, there'd be nothing wrong with doing that.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Poyet always said he wouldn't force him to stay.

If people's fears were legit then SURELY we would have just extended it much earlier in the summer.

He was still our player so the story is basic. "player extends contract".

Calm down

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Players that are worth money that are transfer listed are always being forced to stay until a buyer is found, that's how the business works. You don't let multi million pound assets walk off. If it really was as simple as extending, why didn't we do that 3 months ago, then sell him if he wanted to go elsewhere? If his original contract gave us the option to extend, there'd be nothing wrong with doing that.

Except it goes against EVERYTHING Poyet has said.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Vicente had no say as to whether or not we excersied that option.
How can you know that without seeing the contract? Why would Vicente have agreed to that a year ago?

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
It is not unnerving. Its a massive boost of confidence! Vicente has said he wants to play the next year at OUR club, in front of US the fans.

That's just the point - he hasn't said that. He hasn't said anything and I'd have thought for an announcement of this magnitude they'd at least have got a quote from him. I hope he stays as much as anyone. Hopefully it's just a matter of time but this statement is ambiguous.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
i don't think you can extend someones contract without them agreeing to it can you?

yes, if someone wants to buy him, they'll have to pay us......that's the situation with any player under contract no?

He agreed to it already, when he first signed for us. My understanding was that there would be an automatic extension if he played enough games- which he didn't- and also an option for the club. When you sign the first contract, you're agreeing to the fact that the club has an option to extend it for another year if they want to, so you don't get to renegotiate that when you choose.

I was always under the impression that the deal was done to protect the club, and that's still the case now. No, Poyet doesn't want to keep unhappy players (particularly not one of his quality), but then again you could always have some sort of gentleman's agreement with an individual that works along the lines of "look, we know you'd rather be home in Spain, but we've looked after you, invested in you, and we don't want to lose out, so if you want to go to Spain, we guarantee to let you go, and we'll demand a fee of £xxx". Nothing excessive, but enough to recoup the club's investment in him.

I don't want to piss on anyone's bonfire, far from it, I hope as much as anyone that he stays, and the news prior to this has all been relatively positive. I just want to wait and see what happens on this one at the moment, because I don't want to get excited and end up disappointed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here