Very Important!!! - BHAFC to be taken over by 8 Jan 2006

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Tom Hark said:
Mods - Can we make this a STICKY? :D

No need Tom. I think this will be near the top for the next couple of weeks or so!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
hove born&bred said:
I remember Bedson and I was never to sure about Sizen althought to young to grasp what he may have been or not been up to. Dave do guys sit at the back of the 7.20 London Bridge out of Hove if so I will look you up in the new year althought I will get on at Hassocks as it don't stop at Preston Park on a Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday etc etc............

we sit about 4/5 from the front. If you are on the 17:32 again we tend to sit 4/5 from the front.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Redhead said:
My Friends, Mums, Dogs, Goldfishes, Cousins, Hairdressers, Fishmongers wife is a sauce at the club and have it on good authority we're involved in a deal where we swap Leon Knight for Andrei Shevchenko and Alessandro Nesta. You heard it here first. :lolol:

Isn't Kanchelkis involved in any deal then! :lolol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The days of gentlemen owning football clubs has long passed and I would think the last one to come into that category at Brighton was Ernest Stringer who eventually became the half of Wadham Stringer Garages.

This may seem a little off beat but I believe that that is down to clubs now being a serious business which came about by Jimmy Hills fight for the abolition of maximum wages and then the final straw The Bosman ruling, which although giving players more money it also gave them more freedom to sell themselves to the highest bidder, thus making it more imperative for clubs to generate large sums of money to pay their wages.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
BensGrandad said:
The days of gentlemen owning football clubs has long passed and I would think the last one to come into that category at Brighton was Ernest Stringer who eventually became the half of Wadham Stringer Garages.

This may seem a little off beat but I believe that that is down to clubs now being a serious business which came about by Jimmy Hills fight for the abolition of maximum wages and then the final straw The Bosman ruling, which although giving players more money it also gave them more freedom to sell themselves to the highest bidder, thus making it more imperative for clubs to generate large sums of money to pay their wages.

We should ban people who can remember back that far !!!

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I may have grasped this completely wrongly at the time, but when Knight came in, weren't the club's articles of association changed to ensure that in future no individual could ever again hold overall control, himself included?

If that's the case, the whole argument is pointless. (Although looking at parts of this thread, it could be said that that's already the case... :jester: )

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Seagulltonian said:
Isn't Kanchelkis involved in any deal then! :lolol:

I heard it was Maradona....

Backed by Lord Lucan and financed by Nick Leeson

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Herne Hill Seagull said:
I may have grasped this completely wrongly at the time, but when Knight came in, weren't the club's articles of association changed to ensure that in future no individual could ever again hold overall control, himself included?

If that's the case, the whole argument is pointless. (Although looking at parts of this thread, it could be said that that's already the case... :jester: )

I do not wish to open a can of worms but if any one man can change the articles one way why can't somebody else change them again.

Also in our case 1 man i.e DK does not hold sufficient shares to own the cluub but with the backing of one other board member he effectively does what he wants. So I inherit £1bn and buyDick Knights shares for myself and Ray Blooms for one of my sons and Derek Chapmans for another son who owns the club not me but my family. Is there any difference to me owning it as one man.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I think it's the way the new articles allow for changes that makes the difference, Grandad. If the club's run as a personal fiefdom then the articles are likely to allow one person to change them according to his taste.

I think part of the change was that a consensus was needed before they could be changed again. I completely accept that two major shareholders could collude as you suggest, but given the record of the current administration for acting, generally, in the best interests of the club, I'd be surprised if they did.

Anybody out there who know all this stuff for certain? I'm just going from a memory of a pretty fraught period that's already 8 years ago.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am not for one minute suggesting any collusion between the current board as I do not believe it would happen, honestly I dont. It was just a possibility for the future which any prospective buyers, if there should be any, would explore.

Obviously this will be investigated before anyone puts any money into the club either as well as or instead of the present shareholders.

Herne Hill Seagull said:
I think it's the way the new articles allow for changes that makes the difference, Grandad. If the club's run as a personal fiefdom then the articles are likely to allow one person to change them according to his taste.

I think part of the change was that a consensus was needed before they could be changed again. I completely accept that two major shareholders could collude as you suggest, but given the record of the current administration for acting, generally, in the best interests of the club, I'd be surprised if they did.

Anybody out there who know all this stuff for certain? I'm just going from a memory of a pretty fraught period that's already 8 years ago.

Henfield One will know

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
BensGrandad said:
I am not for one minute suggesting any collusion between the current board as I do not believe it would happen, honestly I dont. It was just a possibility for the future which any prospective buyers, if there should be any, would explore.

Obviously this will be investigated before anyone puts any money into the club either as well as or instead of the present shareholders.

and as they say, money talks !

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Isn't this post just a lovely indication of how stupidly optimistic we at BHAFC are- that even though this is a wild, unsubstantiated rumour, and despite the original poster not responding beyond his original post, it still rockets up to over 5 pages of replies.

brilliant!

bring the russians on!

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
the right footed denilson said:
Isn't this post just a lovely indication of how stupidly optimistic we at BHAFC are- that even though this is a wild, unsubstantiated rumour, and despite the original poster not responding beyond his original post, it still rockets up to over 5 pages of replies.

brilliant!

bring the russians on!

I didn't know that there was a rule saying I had to respond beyond my original post. What is the point anyway? All I did was pass on some info that came from a very good source close to the club. What further could I add?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
:bounce:

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
:bounce:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
I heard it was Maradona....

Backed by Lord Lucan and financed by Nick Leeson

I met Nick Leeson at a dinner in the city last month....quite a strange, insecure guy. Also, General Manager of some Irish club, I seem to remember....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports