Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] US mid-terms

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
DeSantis is Trump's big rival for the Republican nomination, and neither have an awful lot of time for each other. If DeSantis gets it he likely won't give Trump and his mob the pardons they're all desperate for, leaving them to face the music in court.

1668919174807.png
l

• Haha
Reactions: A1X

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
It's mad stuff. One of the most surprising elements to me is that anyone is listening to anything that walking stick of rancid butter Matt Gaetz has to say. The DoJ didn't charge him, but the public accusations of what he was up to and his close connection with the bloke who admitted guilt and got eleven years would have been enough to guarantee the end a political career back in less partisan, more circumspect times. Instead of being an embarassing pariah, he's ended up being some sort of leader of the frothing right wing MAGA caucus. They really will forgive anything of powerful men.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
It's mad stuff. One of the most surprising elements to me is that anyone is listening to anything that walking stick of rancid butter Matt Gaetz has to say. The DoJ didn't charge him, but the public accusations of what he was up to and his close connection with the bloke who admitted guilt and got eleven years would have been enough to guarantee the end a political career back in less partisan, more circumspect times. Instead of being an embarassing pariah, he's ended up being some sort of leader of the frothing right wing MAGA caucus. They really will forgive anything of powerful men.
Gaetz had very little support from the Republicans in the house - only 8 out of 221 supported getting shut of McCarthy, with 3 abstentions. It's the Democrats who really stood with Gaetz on this issue, 208 of 211 voting against, 3 abstentions.

Strange, because it appears that Gaetz's stickingpoint was that McCarthy wanted to work with Democrats to avoid government shutdown; I can't believe the Democrats oppose that in principle, so presumably they were just voting that way to stir up a bit of manure. The wonderful world of politics!

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Gaetz had very little support from the Republicans in the house - only 8 out of 221 supported getting shut of McCarthy, with 3 abstentions. It's the Democrats who really stood with Gaetz on this issue, 208 of 211 voting against, 3 abstentions.

Strange, because it appears that Gaetz's stickingpoint was that McCarthy wanted to work with Democrats to avoid government shutdown; I can't believe the Democrats oppose that in principle, so presumably they were just voting that way to stir up a bit of manure. The wonderful world of politics!
I suppose what i comes to next is who they believe will be the new house leader. McCarthy, although far from perfect was at least willing to deal with the Democrats. Who knows who'll be the next one to come in? If the Republicans unite behind a candidate (and it happens to be some like Gaetz) then you can count out any bi-partisan collaboration until at least the mid-terms, in which case the Dems will have properly shot themselves in the foot.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

Of course the opposition will vote against you. That's politics. The madness is that knowing this, and without having a replacement who would be acceptable to all Republicans, Gaetz and his bunch have cut off the head of their own party. It shows a denial of reality that makes you wonder how any of them were politic enough to get themselves elected in the first place. In a tantrum partly because McCarthy hasn't subpoenaed Biden's son, they've actually thrown out all of their subpoena power until another permanent speaker can be elected!

Given that it took them 15 ballots to finally elect McCarthy after he agreed to give them the bullets with which to shoot him, and that some of his supporters apparently left Congress last night saying that they would renominate him and vote for him at all future votes, it will be interesting to see how long this takes and the odds market for the next speaker. One name that is likely to be on the list is the Democrats' minority leader Hakeem Jefferies. He'd actually need to turn less Republicans than voted against McCarthy to win a majority. Presumably, that's one reason why the Democrats supported the motion to vacate.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022

I thought it was about doing a side deal for Ukraine funding with Democrats and not brining it before congress.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I thought it was about doing a side deal for Ukraine funding with Democrats and not brining it before congress.
Might be. I haven't followed enough detail. Either way, the idea of the Democrats voting him out because he was making deals with the Democrats seems a little counter-intuitive.

Crawley Dingo

Mar 31, 2022
Might be. I haven't followed enough detail. Either way, the idea of the Democrats voting him out because he was making deals with the Democrats seems a little counter-intuitive.

The republicans have just booted a couple of Dems out of "Courtesy" offices for siding with the FC, one of them is Pelosi who is also being blamed by the fallen speaker of not keeping a secret deal to back him up. Which kind of prooves the Freedom Caucus's point that he is a fifth columnist/RINO.

Its all a bit weird and surreal at the moment.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

Yes, "Strange" in a world where that means "hypocritical".

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Gaetz started the rumour about a side deal, but provided no evidence - that doesn't mean that its not true though - but when has truth meant anything to the Republican Party since they set themselves squarely behind Trump?

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
The republicans have just booted a couple of Dems out of "Courtesy" offices for siding with the FC, one of them is Pelosi who is also being blamed by the fallen speaker of not keeping a secret deal to back him up. Which kind of prooves the Freedom Caucus's point that he is a fifth columnist/RINO.

Its all a bit weird and surreal at the moment.
"at the moment"!!??

Haven't you noticed anything since the day of the golden escalator? :)

Crawley Dingo

Mar 31, 2022
Gaetz started the rumour about a side deal, but provided no evidence - that doesn't mean that its not true though - but when has truth meant anything to the Republican Party since they set themselves squarely behind Trump?

Have you even looked into the substance of the charges?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
So both Trump and Gaetz have endorsed Jim Jordan to replace McCarthy. Wonder what attracts those two to a man who has been accused by multiple victims as turning a blind eye to their sexual abuse?

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Kevin McCarthy didn't get any support from the Democrats as they simply didn't have any trust in him anymore and keeping him would solve little of the problems in congress. Yes he was occasionally willing to work with them but his time in office was full of u-turns (remember he initially blamed Trump for Jan 6th before reaffiring his support for Trump a few months later and scaling back from a deep inquiry into the attack of the capital), back stabbing and appeasement of the hard right within the GOP. Even after the recent temporary funding deal to keep government open he then came out blaming the Democrats for almost causing a shutdown. Play with fire and expect to get burnt

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here