Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

** Update: Will Buckley moves to Sunderland confirmed, three-year deal **

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I think this season has been written off by the board already.

It feels like we are having a clear out without committing to any quality replacements. A fresh clean and a season for Sami to get to grips with the league and what he needs to get us out of it. Finally expunging the memory of Gus and riding in to a new dawn (unfortunately enduring a crap season in the mean time). Next season we'll have a decent transfer kitty and an early start......

Although I may be wrong.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think this season has been written off by the board already.

It feels like we are having a clear out without committing to any quality replacements. A fresh clean and a season for Sami to get to grips with the league and what he needs to get us out of it. Finally expunging the memory of Gus and riding in to a new dawn (unfortunately enduring a crap season in the mean time). Next season we'll have a decent transfer kitty and an early start......

Although I may be wrong.

Maybe we won't need a large kitty to get out of league one

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Ok - time for a rant.

Having renewed my season ticket at an inflated level this year (even though I won't be able to attend a lot of the games) I am totally fed up. Food and drink at the ground have gone up. We have had to listen to Barber bang on about FFP whilst every other club in the division seems to be ignoring it. We have sold our star centre forward without seemingly have a clue who to buy to replace him. We are unable to sign arguably our best player from last season on a permanent deal even though his parent club are seemingly happy to sell him. We are seemingly unable to negotiate to buy any player without being outbid by the competition. We are constantly told Burke is "working hard behind the scenes" but there is no end result. Whilst I accept was Bozza says above, its all a bit late for those of us who have already recommitted for another season - our money has gone.

Given there is now only two and bit weeks left before the window shuts, I can't see us buying exactly what we are looking for as replacements even if we wanted to. The good players in demand are already established in terms of where they want to be (Ulloa for example) and we are now reduced to scratching round for bargain basement replacements. Even if you aren't a fan of Buckley, it has to be recognised he will need replacing. This smacks a bit of Man U last season when Moyes and Woodward were running round like headless chickens at the end and only finished overpaying for Fellaini.

If the club were honest in terms of wanting keep some cash and run under a reduced budget, I could understand, but all we get is flannel and I don't like being taken for a mug. Barber didn't hang around much when he put all the prices up this season - that one was well planned ahead.

I will keep supporting the Albion, of course I will, but just maybe they will be a couple more season ticket holders down next season. I know I'll get flack from the remember where we were and keep the faith brigade but we have moved on from those days and really should be aiming higher. If TB gets promotion, the club will be worth a lot more than it is now.

Rant over from a disgruntled fan.

Strangely me and my two sons decided before the game on saturday not to renew our Season tickets for next Season and the reason being its becoming too expensive to watch our home games and with all the decent players seemingly heading for the exit door.
We have had ST since the Gillingham days but enough is enough and now WB might be going and no sign of anyone coming in it looks like a good decision,
I hope Im wrong but it seems they are slowly eroding the common fanbase and aiming for more corporate people to fill the seats etc and its becoming more expensive by the season sadly.
It may be we just do away days next season as most of them have cheaper tickets than the Albion and its a far better atmosphere

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
FFS. That's our last star quality player gone then. He'll end up doing better in the Prem than Leo. Around better players he will flourish more so, only need to look at the games he played with Vicente to see how devastating he can be.

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
FFS. That's our last star quality player gone then. He'll end up doing better in the Prem than Leo. Around better players he will flourish more so, only need to look at the games he played with Vicente to see how devastating he can be.

Are you mental? Star quality player? When is this actually happening this star quality performances that you speak of? I can count on one hand how many real match turning performances he's put in for us in the last 12+ months.

When he signed for us Watford warned us that on his day Buckley is a total class act and we know this too well but they also went onto say that he's a sicknote and always has niggles and we've seen that just too much.

Everytime he gets over one of these injuries he comes back looks good and then gets injured again and then spends a couple of months looking like he's lost his confidence to beat a man.

We need to let go of the odd great performance like Bolton away last season and realize overall that 2.5 million would be great business for a player who needs to be replaced with one that's fit the majority of the season.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Are you mental? Star quality player? When is this actually happening this star quality performances that you speak of? I can count on one hand how many real match turning performances he's put in for us in the last 12+ months.

When he signed for us Watford warned us that on his day Buckley is a total class act and we know this too well but they also went onto say that he's a sicknote and always has niggles and we've seen that just too much.

Everytime he gets over one of these injuries he comes back looks good and then gets injured again and then spends a couple of months looking like he's lost his confidence to beat a man.

We need to let go of the odd great performance like Bolton away last season and realize overall that 2.5 million would be great business for a player who needs to be replaced with one that's fit the majority of the season.

Buckley's form over the last season or so has been disappointing, mainly due to injury, so not able to command a regular place and also Oscar's formation did not bring out the best in him. As someone pointed out earlier Buckley thrived under Poyet and especially playing off Vicente (those days now seem like eons ago). But given his recent fitness and form I could understand if the Albion now look to cash in on Buckley, especially if we can make a handsome profit.

However it does concern me that our squad is already lacking in players capable of taking on and beating an opponent. The formations put out by Hyypia so far have played a higher line but lack that creativity to frighten opposition. Tonight we have put out a strong side and while there are no push overs you would hope for a commanding and decisive performance. Can we open up Cheltenham (yes, Cheltenham) at will - or not?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Buckley's form over the last season or so has been disappointing, mainly due to injury, so not able to command a regular place and also Oscar's formation did not bring out the best in him. As someone pointed out earlier Buckley thrived under Poyet and especially playing off Vicente (those days now seem like eons ago). But given his recent fitness and form I could understand if the Albion now look to cash in on Buckley, especially if we can make a handsome profit.

However it does concern me that our squad is already lacking in players capable of taking on and beating an opponent. The formations put out by Hyypia so far have played a higher line but lack that creativity to frighten opposition. Tonight we have put out a strong side and while there are no push overs you would hope for a commanding and decisive performance. Can we open up Cheltenham (yes, Cheltenham) at will - or not?

With you all the way.....and it will be yet another player out of a very thin squad

byf1

Mar 22, 2012

Agree with that but in my mind we cant keep a player who has serious fitness and injury issues just because we've lost other fans favourites when we could cash in and replace him (easier said than done of course)

Over the past 6 months it feels like were getting a small taster of whats happened to Southampton in regards to players lost but at a more stagnated rate but I do feel long term we'll be ok.

The thing I feel also is were just going to have to get used to the fact that the 4 year upward curve that we've had since the final season at withdean is now coming to an end and this season most certainly will be a major consolidation season which I still feel will include 4-6 players coming in this window and January's.

The money is there to replace Buckley, Ulloa and even Bridcutt still for me but it wont happen as quickly as we all want. We wont go down but I don't think it's going to be the buzz of previous years I'm afraid.

It was easy for Oscar, he inherited the same team minus Bridge who was replaced with my player of the season from last year, this is a real job Sami has got, I hope he comes through for us as what he's currently got to work with is total shite i'm afraid. It's a mix of players with bad attitudes, youngsters who appear to be not ready, forwards who aren't really upto it and no creative players who are actually fit all the time #bigjob

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
So with Clayton seemingly going to boro finally, it looks like there isn't going to be much in the way of inward activity before this move either :lolol:

You have to laugh or you'll ****ing cry

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
So with Clayton seemingly going to boro finally, it looks like there isn't going to be much in the way of inward activity before this move either :lolol:

You have to laugh or you'll ****ing cry

Don't worry mate David Burke is working very hard to bring players in and he is not at tonights game, he is watching a LB in training at Southwick.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
The thing I feel also is were just going to have to get used to the fact that the 4 year upward curve that we've had since the final season at withdean is now coming to an end and this season most certainly will be a major consolidation season which I still feel will include 4-6 players coming in this window and January's.

I tend to share that view. Firstly the rarified days of the first couple of seasons at The Amex, a series of record breaking and flair-istic signings and some decent football are now gone, along with what was probably our best chance of Prem football, for now. Successive managerial changes and to our playing styles have disrupted our evolution compared to what might have happened if Poyet had stayed.

Secondly we now have a revolving door out of the Club in order to capitalise on our best players and at the moment it feels like one way traffic. Thirdly we are in a period of consolidation to become compliant under FFP. If this is successful and some of our more profligate rivals fall by the wayside then maybe we can make a fresh and concerted attack on the Prem. I hope this is the case but in the short term it may mean biting the bullet and accepting some compromises.

It isn't time to panic just yet - but it may test the resolve of some fans. We need to keep the faith.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

If he doesn't get injured after 2 games.
IMO Buckley is not good enough for the Prem, but good luck to him if he goes to Sunderland we can see how good/bad he really is.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Hyypia - Buckley

Post-match review.

Hyypia dropping big hints regarding Buckley.

Looks like the Club with 'announce' the reason as to why he wasn't playing soon...

He's off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here