Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ulloa

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sorry the stats just do not back that up.

Forgetting the cup. Calderon v Bruno head to head

Current league games this season

Appearances Bruno 28 Calderon 19

Goals Bruno 0 Calderon 2
Assists Bruno 2 Calderon 3
Shots Bruno 1 on target 1 Calderon 5 on target 4
Fouls Bruno 36 booked 9 Calderon 17 booked 3

The technical ability you allude to is his insistence in little flicks etc that get some clapping likes seals at feeding time in the zoo. It normally precedes him misplacing a simple pass to the opposition. He goes missing or doesn't either bother attempting to get back if caught upfield. He doesn't defend but stands off showing the attacker the inside allowing a cross or shot nearly every time, and then dangles a foot whilst making no attempt to close down. He's a liability.

Sorry mate you're so wrong on almost all aspects of his play. Please feel free to show me any evidence otherwise.

Because all there is to attacking play is goals and assists. :facepalm: Let me guess, you're someone who didn't understand what Emile Heskey brought to a side, and why every single England striker loved playing with him?

Nowhere did I suggest he is a better DEFENDER than Bruno so I have no clue what you're on about there, but he is STREETS ahead as an attacking option. No contest whatsoever.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Not interested i'm not sure, but not stretched or challenged is the problem. He's an automatic selection and anyone who knows anything about sports professionals is that they are competitive, take that away and they become lazy, unenthusiastic and demotivated. If he plays a really poor game, he's selected. If he missed 25 golden chances a game, he'll still be selected. He needs competition within the team for his place to keep him hungry but we have no alternative so he is becomig complacent and demotivated. He's not threatened by the Manchester United loanee or anyone else, if we had some depth to our squad he could be dropped to think about his situation and maybe work harder and become sharper. He's a young man, impressionable at the moment, the club are letting him down by making it too easy for him!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Because all there is to attacking play is goals and assists. :facepalm: Let me guess, you're someone who didn't understand what Emile Heskey brought to a side, and why every single England striker loved playing with him?

Nowhere did I suggest he is a better DEFENDER than Bruno so I have no clue what you're on about there, but he is STREETS ahead as an attacking option. No contest whatsoever.

What utter rubbish. I'm certainly not someone who can't appreciate what players do, having watched football for over 40 years at all levels. Interestingly you mention Heskey and other strikers playing with him, that would mean playing more than one forward in the same team, oh how old hat that idea is (or not).

He is not streets ahead. How the hell do you equate that? Is it due to this free scoring side we have? Head to head stats are a pretty good indicator. I added about his defending because believe it or not it's his first bloody priority.

Ward contributes the same if not more than Bruno going forwards but also defends far far better, he's the most consistent player we have. Calderon again is very consistent both in the attacking sense and his main role.

Oh by the way Calderon has more assists than anyone else in the team. It may not mean anything to your blindness but that's a major thing considering just how few goals this team has mustered

Can you please tell me what other factors in his play I should be aware of that makes him such a valuable player?

Last edited:

On current form when he does get the ball to his feet he often gives it away with a poor pass of his own. He was as responsible for poor play as the others you mention and he moans too much.

He is a class player but it's not showing very much these days.

We agree on symptoms but not on causes. I don't think he's become a bad player or developed a bad attitude. More likely, for me, the much more disjointed team play is dragging him (and let's face it, plenty of others) down.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Poor bloke's probably knackered from having to lead the line (of one!) week in, week out. He was a bit on the lardy side to start with. This current formation patently isn't helping one little bit. Pointless blaming Ulloa when we sold his only credible fit strike partner for an undisclosed number of peanuts in January.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Ulloa looks the type of forward who would thrive if he had a smaller, quicker player operating in a sort of 20-yard circle around him - playing off him, getting ahead of him, looking for flicks, coming short and linking the play, doing the wide runs to allow Ulloa to stay central etc etc.

Could be Lingard, Mackail-Smith or Hoskins.

But probably not going to play two up front in a system like that for the foreseeable future.

One thing I do think he could do with - just like at the end of last season when Barnes was suspended - is the occasional rest.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ulloa looks the type of forward who would thrive if he had a smaller, quicker player operating in a sort of 20-yard circle around him - playing off him, getting ahead of him, looking for flicks, coming short and linking the play, doing the wide runs to allow Ulloa to stay central etc etc.

Could be Lingard, Mackail-Smith or Hoskins.

But probably not going to play two up front in a system like that.

Currently we're just doing a minor latino variation of lumping it to the big bloke up front. Just won't do. Every damn team that visits the Amex has more of a joined-up attack plan on goal than we do, irrespective of where they are in the league. It's pretty shocking really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here