Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ulloa

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
A striker missing a penalty, that badly aswell gives me no hope. He's useless on his feet, he just gets lucky with his head a lot. Shame as when he first joined he was absolutely amazing

Yep, I agree it is a shame, and without having a dig at him he is no Suarez. All his goals come from 4 yards out and we don't see volleys or curlers from outside the box, and taking it around the goal keeper in a one on one is also not a strong point. He is more of a goal poacher.

I think he has taken three penalties to date and only scored one and it's days like yesterday when you wonder how much damage Gus did by letting Murray go. Ulloa and CMS cost £4.5m between them and have been very expensive gambles that could have been better spent on other players whilst keeping Murray, who lives in Brighton and didn't want to leave.

I wish Ulloa the best but I would be happy for Gus to purchase him in the summer. Likewise with Buckley, a great player on his day but was brought in by Gus when he had a history of hamstring injuries.

I do feel sorry for Oscar having to work with Gus's leftovers and I have a lot of respect for him not slaughtering the players publicly, because he knows where the problems lay, and he is being professionally being silent on it.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
As with many other players he appears to have gone backwards which surely would be down to the coaching now.

No you are wrong, as I said in my previous post "All his goals come from 4 yards out and we don't see volleys or curlers from outside the box, and taking it around the goal keeper in a one on one is also not a strong point."

He is not and has never been versatile.

If players are not gifted coaching can only do so much.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
A striker missing a penalty, that badly aswell gives me no hope. He's useless on his feet, he just gets lucky with his head a lot. Shame as when he first joined he was absolutely amazing

Jesus you do read some shit on here. Is it like when Ashley Barnes got lucky all those times with us?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Didn't Ulloa have this virus midweek? I know people who have had the same illness, and it has taken some of them two weeks to get over it. I think he had to play against Boro, because we have no alternative, and I don't reckon he was fully recovered, hence his lethargic performance, so he really shouldn't be judged on his last two games

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
Nail. On. Head

barnes was going at end of season. he didn't accept 2 offers that were made to him. it made sense to get the money while we could. love him or hate him, he really wasn't making a massive difference anyway

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I can't believe people are actually questioning Ulloa's ability now. He's a quality player, there is absolutely no doubting that. The problem seems to be he has zero competition for his place.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Ulloa is a player of extreme class who seemed to be felled with his foot injury that not since has he had the domineering leap that crushed those beneath him. I also think that the one-man job he's had to do, forming no real relationship with men around him as they seem so far away, has had a dampening of his spirits. Launching balls up to his head against the general norm of Championship backlines of two lumpen monsters isn't his strongpoint constantly and leaves him battered on occasion. Last season i remember him dropping and moving and killing the ball dead before spraying some 40 yard volleyed pass to feet, before running into the box to get on the end of things, whilst now that doesn't seem to be quite what he's used for. I miss him at present, but have the utmost faith he'll be what he was again and better in time.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
No you are wrong, as I said in my previous post "All his goals come from 4 yards out and we don't see volleys or curlers from outside the box, and taking it around the goal keeper in a one on one is also not a strong point."

He is not and has never been versatile.

If players are not gifted coaching can only do so much.

I agree about his poaching close to goal and especially his heading ability in that position. He is clearly good in the air so how come we haven't managed to coach him to win his share of headers against central defenders in the middle of the pitch. He doesn't position himself well, doesn't use his body strength well and fails to get very far off the ground. His default position is to look for the foul. He clearly has the ability in to compete in this area off the pitch yet the coaches have so far failed to get him to do it (Barnes had a similar problem).

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I can't believe people are actually questioning Ulloa's ability now. He's a quality player, there is absolutely no doubting that. The problem seems to be he has zero competition for his place.

Its not the zero competition that's the problem its the crap service he gets, not even Suarez would be prolific with the midfield we currently have and yes I'm aware he went for the conversion yesterday but they weren't actually fighting over taking it

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
He has been off form ever since his injury, even when he was on a good run of scoring his all round play was pretty poor.

Don't think its "off form" more like "scared". He seems utterly petrified of being injured again. Makes virtually no effort on a ground ball tackle and falls like a sack of potatoes after missing the aerial ball and then looks at the referee for at least 20 seconds hoping puppy eyes will win a penalty/free kick.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
A good player. One of our most important. But he does piss me off a little tiny bit with his remonstrating with the referee and hard done by mannerisms when he doesn't get a free kick.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
his personal form has dipped
but he is not the kind of playing to score many goals out of nothing
yes Suarez would score a hat full of goals even playing for us
he needs the service
our wide attacking players have been deeply disappointing
not helped by slow service to them either

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
So you think that Dave should play 90 minutes every game in case we get a penalty ?

Immediately it happened Ulloa wanted it, picked up the ball and waved others away. Then he blew it. It happens

I don't think Dave should play 90 mins in case we get a penalty, but I do think that he offers us the technique, vision and execution that can hurt the opposition, and I don't see too many other fit players in our squad with those qualities. I don't think he should have been shipped out to the right wing when Buckley went off, and I don't think he should have been taken off when Andrews was left on. I also think he would have scored that penalty had he been on the pitch.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bruno.Why?

Because he's been consistently one of our best attacking outlets this season and is one of the most technically gifted players at the club. Need anything more?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Because he's been consistently one of our best attacking outlets this season and is one of the most technically gifted players at the club. Need anything more?

Sorry the stats just do not back that up.

Forgetting the cup. Calderon v Bruno head to head

Current league games this season

Appearances Bruno 28 Calderon 19

Goals Bruno 0 Calderon 2
Assists Bruno 2 Calderon 3
Shots Bruno 1 on target 1 Calderon 5 on target 4
Fouls Bruno 36 booked 9 Calderon 17 booked 3

The technical ability you allude to is his insistence in little flicks etc that get some clapping likes seals at feeding time in the zoo. It normally precedes him misplacing a simple pass to the opposition. He goes missing or doesn't either bother attempting to get back if caught upfield. He doesn't defend but stands off showing the attacker the inside allowing a cross or shot nearly every time, and then dangles a foot whilst making no attempt to close down. He's a liability.

Sorry mate you're so wrong on almost all aspects of his play. Please feel free to show me any evidence otherwise.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I think the problem is he has no competition in the slightest. When a player is too 'comfortable' knowing he will get played no matter what happens this sort of thing can happen. People may disagree but it's probably naturally psychology if you have no pressure or competition that your performance may drop. There are exceptions of course but I genuinely believe this is the problem, he needs to be dropped for a game. The problem is we can't drop him as we have nobody else... Shit creek with no paddle basically.

Not Ulloa bashing btw because he is undoubtably a very good striker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here