Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ulloa, Bridcutt and Buckley

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Bridcutt is a Premier League player, if we sell for £5million with a sell on clause then with my best wishes he goes and will become a fantastic player.

Buckley and Ulloa are not Premier League players and Gus will not attempt to sign them in january. In the summer? Maybe. But not now.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Given our ability to play without Bridcutt, I can't say I'll be sad to see him go if we manage £5mil. We have to wait and see when he's fit to see how he fits into our system of play. I don't think he's attacking enough for Garcia.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Given our ability to play without Bridcutt, I can't say I'll be sad to see him go if we manage £5mil. We have to wait and see when he's fit to see how he fits into our system of play. I don't think he's attacking enough for Garcia.

With all due respect, that's crap. Utter crap.

A team needs balance and shape. If all our players attack then Upson and Greer will become exposed and we will start shipping in goals for a laugh. Note the last few matches for example.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
As I've said before, I can't see any bid going in for them. Poyet going to Sunderland makes no difference as he doesn't buy the players (one of the big sticking points for PDC was that he wanted Huddlestone and DeFanti didn't). If Sunderland wanted any of those, they'd have bid for them in the summer - they brought in 14 new players.

Poyet's big task is to bed in those 14 and get them playing as a team: there may be opportunities to buy one or two more but I'd have thought the top requirement would be proven Prem performers to get them out of a hole

I'm with this and you've got to believe it was a big part of the interview process, to get all their new recruits performing. What they might go for in January depends on how far adrift they are but I would be surprised if they turned to any of ours to save them from the drop.

I can see Bridcutt going there in the summer

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
He might want Ulloa (have you got a target man?) but he'd be quite a lot of money as he's in the middle of 4 year contract. I think he might want Orlandi before the other two though since he's our best (most creative) player.

They have Jozy Altidore. Who is probably better than Ulloa.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
They'd all end up like Bennett at Norwich, richer, but playing VERY little first team football, if that's what any of them want, better they leave.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton

Look at our league position and think of the last 3 performances.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
The only one he needs is Ulloa. Lots of DM type players at Sunderland (Gardiner, Cattermole) and they brought in wingers in the summer. Bridcutt and Buckley would only be back up. Ulloa is perfect for them.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Upson too old now but TK would be a possibility but wont be guaranteed first team. Westwood has done well this season... one of their better players. At this stage of his career TK wants first team or nothing. Would be terrible to lose him..... only Ulloa would upset me as much.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I swear some of you lot still think were little old Brighton playing at Withers. Our management team have have a job of keeping 24.000+ season tickets holders happy no way will we just off load all of our best players to Sunderland or anyone else.

You don't seem to understand how football works - IF Sunderland (or any other team, for that matter) want a player AND he wants to go, we would have little option but to get the best price we can. There is no point in keeping a player who doesn't want to stay. However, as I've said, I don't think signing any of our players is what Sunderland need in their position.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
If the current Sunderland players don't respond to Poyets way of playing, it won't matter about the January transfer window because he won't be there

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bridcutt is a Premier League player, if we sell for £5million with a sell on clause then with my best wishes he goes and will become a fantastic player.

Buckley and Ulloa are not Premier League players and Gus will not attempt to sign them in january. In the summer? Maybe. But not now.

Ulloa definitely could be, at full fitness. He's the best striker in the Champ, comfortably.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Is Bridcutt chomping at the bit to get away then? Reading this thread you'd think he'd put in a transfer request such is the overwhelming opinion that we are probably going to lose him. As he can't go until January, he could feasibly be playing in a very good Championship side and enjoying himself again. I don't see that it's a foregone conclusion that we will lose him.

Quite right.
I think a lot of fans are just assuming that he would take the first opportunity to jump ship to the PL. I would be very surprised if he went north of Watford ( if he even went anywhere )
He and his wife are very happy on the south coast and family are in the Reading area. Money doesn't always talk.
He was offered an extra year at Chelsea but turned it down so he could play regular first team football. Chelsea advised him that they didn't think he could make it at PL level but that he could have a good career lower down the pyramid.
Such is the physicality of the PL that very few smaller players make it at that level unless they are of the highest class.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
How on earth is selling our best players "pushing forward"?

If we sell one say Liam who is replaceable and get say 2 or 3 in January for final push it may prove to be a masterstroke. Until we are an established PL team, f the right offer comes we will sell that's the way it is.

Of course I don't want these players to leave, but we have to come to terms sometimes this will happen.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ulloa definitely could be, at full fitness. He's the best striker in the Champ, comfortably.

No he's not. Nowhere near. His one on one vs Sheff Weds proved that. Had Barnes failed so miserably he would never be forgiven. It was a dire effort from Leo. His feet are not reliable, but in the air he is a BEAST.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No he's not. Nowhere near. His one on one vs Sheff Weds proved that. Had Barnes failed so miserably he would never be forgiven. It was a dire effort from Leo. His feet are not reliable, but in the air he is a BEAST.
One random cock up doesn't PROVE anything FFS, apart perhaps from the fact that he's not perfect.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
One random cock up doesn't PROVE anything FFS, apart perhaps from the fact that he's not perfect.

Leo's best work is inside the box...he can't run with the ball as he lacks pace. He is the classic target man, holds the ball well and links play. When he is fit, we should just be pinging balls into him from all angles, so he can attack them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here