Ulloa, Bridcutt and Buckley

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Poyet's title is 'head coach' so signing any of them would be up to:

1) Ellis Short being happy to spend more money after the dozen or so new signings already made.
2) Poyet having a say in transfers
3) Brighton being prepared to deal with Poyet.

I can see Bridcutt going in Jan - but not to Sunderland.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Besides, it will be far too cold up there for Spanish Len, so you can forget him. He's rubbish anyway - Wilbrahim at Palace is better.

We mustn't encourage anyone to buy Wilbraham.

He needs to stay at Palace, and sit outside of their 25 man squad hoovering up as much wages as possible :lolol:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I would imagine there is a strong possibility that Bridders we be a major January target.

Ulloa, naah, can't see it. I love the bloke at our level, but I must say, I don't think he has the pace for the Premiership.
Buckley, unlikely. Again, I think The Championship is his level. I actually think Lualua would be more likely, as he clearly still has a lot of friends and family in the area. In really good form, and would be a great player to throw on from the bench if you need something in the last 20 mins.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
As I've said before, I can't see any bid going in for them. Poyet going to Sunderland makes no difference as he doesn't buy the players (one of the big sticking points for PDC was that he wanted Huddlestone and DeFanti didn't). If Sunderland wanted any of those, they'd have bid for them in the summer - they brought in 14 new players.

Poyet's big task is to bed in those 14 and get them playing as a team: there may be opportunities to buy one or two more but I'd have thought the top requirement would be proven Prem performers to get them out of a hole

I appreciate what you're saying, but surely if GP wanted any of our players he would bring it to the attention of the Director of Footnall, and outline their qualities in a way that Sunderland scouts may not be able to. They could still say no, of course, but I suspect the odds would be greater now he's there, than when he wasn't. As I've already said, I don't think they need to be signing c'ship players if they want to improve their position

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He might want Ulloa (have you got a target man?) but he'd be quite a lot of money as he's in the middle of 4 year contract. I think he might want Orlandi before the other two though since he's our best (most creative) player.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Poyet's title is 'head coach' so signing any of them would be up to:

1) Ellis Short being happy to spend more money after the dozen or so new signings already made.
2) Poyet having a say in transfers
3) Brighton being prepared to deal with Poyet.

I can see Bridcutt going in Jan - but not to Sunderland.

Does that specific job title come with a universally pre-determined job description then?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Bridcutt is the most likely but there will be other clubs interested in him and providing the numbers stack up the player may opt for a club outside of the relegation dogfight.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
More to the point :

How much money will Gus have to spend in January AND what positions does he want to strengthen as priority with this money ???

From there, we can see if he particularly wants any Brighton players.

Even the Premier League has to comply with a version of FFP, he may have to ship some out first to be able to bring some in.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
People really overestimate the abilities of some of our players. Why would Sunderland be interested in Orlandi (released by Swansea)...
Orlandi had a difficult time with injuries at Swansea, I don't think his ability was ever in doubt there. I'm convinced he'd improve Sunderland's chances of beating the drop.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Transfer targets may have nothing to do with gus as sky are reporting that gus will work under the 'director of football' structure in the same way as PDC

This is the same director of football who sold all their best players and replaced them with the squad sitting at the foot of the table

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
So then, what are Gus's chances of luring these three to the NE in January? Always been impressed with them when I've watched Brighton.

Glad we got Mr Poyet in the end.

All the best for the rest of the season everyone :clap2:

:lol: you think Tony Bloom will do business with any club connected with Poyet?

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
I would expect Bridcutt to go to Sunderland, I never thought we`d see him again in a Brighton shirt after the Palace defeat.

With the right service from Johnson, Ulloa would be a great target man, he`s the best header of the ball we`ve had for a while.

Dec 29, 2011
People really overestimate the abilities of some of our players. Why would Sunderland be interested in Orlandi (released by Swansea) or LuaLua (released by Newcastle)? Ulloa is a good player but he's 27, has no pace, no EPL track record and would cost £7m-£8m, which would be a significant chunk of Sunderland's budget. They won't go for him. Buckley is far too lightweight and just not good enough for a step up. As one or two people have said, the only player Gus is likely to go for is Bridcutt. That one makes sense as Bridcutt probably thinks it's time to leave and he's the one player who could be a success in the EPL, although it should be remembered even a poor EPL side like Sunderland still have experienced players like Gardner, Larsson and Cattermole in their midfield, so some guy from the Championship isn't necessarily going to improve them.

Spouting shit again. Lualua wasn't released by Newcastle, the fee is rumoured to be up to £1m.

Also what is the EPL?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here