Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ulloa, Bridcutt and Buckley

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Bridcutt would seem like a certainty to me, Poyet virtually built the style of play around him. Not sure whether you already have a quality defensive holding midfielder. However I would anticipate there being some competition for him in January if by then he is fit and playing at his best. Can also see the club being less than keen to sell Poyet if there are other bidders. But would Bridcutt want to go, yes I'm sure he would. Would we sell him, yes at the right price. And I am certain he is a premiership player in the right set up.

Buckley in my opinion is just not good enough, or certainly not consistent enough anyway.

Ulloa would be an interesting gamble, but I don't think we would sell him unless serious money was offered. Suspect he would be seriously over priced for a gamble on a Championship player who has only done it for a half a season.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
No one has mentioned Ashley Barnes. Not a popular player with many Brighton fans, but Gus certainly values him. If he can get him for virtually nothing, he might think it worth a punt.

If a Premiershit club or a club just relegated from the Premiershit with all their parachute tenners spilling out of their pockets come calling for Mr Barnes the fee is £2m minimum?!

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Too many if's & maybe's. If Sunderland are still bottom come January will any of our players want to go there? If Bridcutt is actually fit, playing and back to his best come January ......?

IMO I think we should worry about ourselves for the next 3 months and worry about the transfer window then!

Dec 29, 2011
I am glad that as yet nobody has mentioned the men I think are most likely to go taking into account Sunderland are shipping goals............Kuszczak and Upson both have played in the Premier League. Upson is proven and TK was young but has learnt a lot since then and neither would cost mega bucks .

Kuszczak would go for next to nothing unfortunately. He'll want to play in the Premier League too.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Kuszczak would go for next to nothing unfortunately. He'll want to play in the Premier League too.

Don't see this. He left a Prem club to come to us - he wanted game time, would he be guaranteed that at any club? Even Palace have got a decent goalie.

I'd almost be willing to bet that we don't lose any of our players to Sunderland in the January transfer window

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The OP has come on here with, I suspect, a bit of glee about taking our best players.

And has got sensible replies.

NSC has amazed me :lolol:

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
People really overestimate the abilities of some of our players. Why would Sunderland be interested in Orlandi (released by Swansea) or LuaLua (released by Newcastle)? Ulloa is a good player but he's 27, has no pace, no EPL track record and would cost £7m-£8m, which would be a significant chunk of Sunderland's budget. They won't go for him. Buckley is far too lightweight and just not good enough for a step up. As one or two people have said, the only player Gus is likely to go for is Bridcutt. That one makes sense as Bridcutt probably thinks it's time to leave and he's the one player who could be a success in the EPL, although it should be remembered even a poor EPL side like Sunderland still have experienced players like Gardner, Larsson and Cattermole in their midfield, so some guy from the Championship isn't necessarily going to improve them.

What's the EPL?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Edible Panty Line.

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
Unless Gus and Sunderland get a silly money offer on the table that we really can't refuse, I can't see TB would entertain doing any business with him if legal issues still outstanding?

Barry M

Jan 21, 2011
Yes Bridders and Leo are class but not proven at prem level, and although Gus signed them it was for a championship team with a low budget. Given more money he would be signing higher profile players I'd imagine to keep them up.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Having been on loan at Watford and could well be near the end of his contract with us.

He was one of Gus's first signings when we reached the Championship and he rates TK very highly.

Which is correct, not sure about Sunderland but he wants to return to the Premier if we don't make it. So back to Casper and Brez

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Anyone with half a brain should wait until the summer to look into the possibility of signing Bridcutt. If he doesn't sign a new deal before then, I believe he'll only have 1yr left on his contract and a cut price deal is normally viable.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
What happened has passed, he has a new job and if he wants to buy our players for millions why should we say no?? If we need the money to push forward does not matter who buys them. I for one don't think Leo would leave, Buckley not good enough and Liam if he is given the chance and the money is right, who are we to stand in his way, the guy has been awesome for us week in week out and deserves the chance to play in the prem.

How on earth is selling our best players "pushing forward"?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I swear some of you lot still think were little old Brighton playing at Withers. Our management team have have a job of keeping 24.000+ season tickets holders happy no way will we just off load all of our best players to Sunderland or anyone else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here