[Albion] U-23's retain/release announcement

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Of course they should celebrate a player for a significant achievement during their time with the club. Ok, the club and the player have made a decision that he's leaving to pursue his career elsewhere and good luck to him. But there's no reason to pretend he hasn't been here and played an important role at the club this season. He's probably made the right decision for his career and it's in the club's favour that we seem to have put him ahead of our own financial interests. I'll be looking out for him, he looks like he's got all the potential required to forge a successful career.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Makes it seem all the more strange that we released him. I'm sure he'll have a club for next season, and good luck to him - but why couldn't we get him a loan to a club, so we could get something for him in 2022?
I know the ain is to make the club (and the academy) sustainable - but that's hardly going to happen if we keep giving 'em away!

I know what you mean, but if the player wants to leave and they're out of contract then there's not really much you can but but give them away. Both parties need to agree and it sounds like he wants to try his hand elsewhere. Fair play to him and I hope he lands on his feet.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Cashman will make it pro somewhere. It’s not going to be with us, the jump is too great currently. I hope it works out for him. Looks a very tidy player and I’m proud the club are producing pro footballers that can go elsewhere. It will be a real draw for attracting other promising talent.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Makes it seem all the more strange that we released him. I'm sure he'll have a club for next season, and good luck to him - but why couldn't we get him a loan to a club, so we could get something for him in 2022?
I know the ain is to make the club (and the academy) sustainable - but that's hardly going to happen if we keep giving 'em away!

Ok - Rate him against the players ahead of him. Connolly, Zeqiri, Gyokeres
Rate him against his contemporaries - Ryan Longman, Taylor Richards.
Rate him against the ones coming up behind him - Zac Emmerson, Evan Ferguson, Andrew Moran

and then make a case for keeping him.

Gyokeres scored 7 in 19 in Prem 1 at U23s and I can't see us getting a fee for him, even after a season at Championship level.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ok - Rate him against the players ahead of him. Connolly, Zeqiri, Gyokeres
Rate him against his contemporaries - Ryan Longman, Taylor Richards.
Rate him against the ones coming up behind him - Zac Emmerson, Evan Ferguson, Andrew Moran

and then make a case for keeping him.
Who said anything about keeping him? I was talking about sending him out on loan - with options - so that we could get a fee for him next summer, and all without holding his career back in any way. Even the odd £250K or £500K towards the costs of the academy would be welcome, and we wouldn't be standing in his way.
As for Gyokeres, if Coventry want to keep him (and apparently they are interested) I believe we have an option on him for another year, so we can demand a fee from Coventry - not a fortune maybe, but every pound counts.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Who said anything about keeping him? I was talking about sending him out on loan - with options - so that we could get a fee for him next summer, and all without holding his career back in any way. Even the odd £250K or £500K towards the costs of the academy would be welcome, and we wouldn't be standing in his way.
As for Gyokeres, if Coventry want to keep him (and apparently they are interested) I believe we have an option on him for another year, so we can demand a fee from Coventry - not a fortune maybe, but every pound counts.

What you have just described is a 2 year deal, for a player you don't expect to make the first team (you think we should sell him next summer), after we have loaned him out in a very competitive market, wherer we have to try and find loan deals already for players who are ahead of him in the pecking order. If all these loan deals don't materialise, we have to play them in the U23s ahead of younger prospects, in case we can get a fee for them.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
What you have just described is a 2 year deal, for a player you don't expect to make the first team (you think we should sell him next summer), after we have loaned him out in a very competitive market, wherer we have to try and find loan deals already for players who are ahead of him in the pecking order. If all these loan deals don't materialise, we have to play them in the U23s ahead of younger prospects, in case we can get a fee for them.

All good points and to add stalling someone’s career for a pennies to us but could impact a players whole career. I don’t think it’s a strong image for the club being seen to hold back a players progress to make £50,000.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
By my reckoning, that leaves Alex Cochrane, Leo Ostigard and Taylor Richards as the only non-first-team squad players who are out of contract this summer.

One down, two to go:-

[TWEET]1389505081142390784[/TWEET]

The club hasn't made an announcement, but the release of the Premier League retained list shows that the club has extended the contracts of both Ostigard and Richards:-

123421.jpg

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Great stuff. Always thought Taylor would renew his contract but was less sure about Leo.

Two question marks - out of many - erased.

I've also created another thread specifically for this, but the absence of an announcement by the club, and the apparent failure to agree new, longer term deals, has me wondering how mutual these decisions were.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I've also created another thread specifically for this, but the absence of an announcement by the club, and the apparent failure to agree new, longer term deals, has me wondering how mutual these decisions were.

Fantastic detective work as ever.

If the decisions weren’t mutual, I deduce that these two, like Walton, are not destined for the 1st team squad. I suspect all three will be for sale.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

True. I guess we'll find out soon. From the interview with Leo earlier I definitely got the impression that they had to extend it through a mutual agreement but now I suppose it might not be the case.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
True. I guess we'll find out soon. From the interview with Leo earlier I definitely got the impression that they had to extend it through a mutual agreement but now I suppose it might not be the case.

The Athletic reported Ostigard saying this:

It’ll be interesting now. I don’t have long left on my contract [Ostigard’s current deal expires in June]. They have an option year they can use but in the summer, I need to be sold or to sign a new contract.

The point is, the option is in Albion's favour, and they can (and apparently have) exercised it unilaterally. It certainly suggests the two parties couldn't reach a mutual agreement on that new contract, and would seem to indicate we are likely to see him sold.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The Athletic reported Ostigard saying this:

The point is, the option is in Albion's favour, and they can (and apparently have) exercised it unilaterally. It certainly suggests the two parties couldn't reach a mutual agreement on that new contract, and would seem to indicate we are likely to see him sold.

Ah. Indeed from that quote its obvious it was a one-way option. Which is obviously the sensible thing from the club perspective.

Not sure I agree that it certainly suggests they couldnt agree or that he will be sold - think it could just mean "future not determined but at least he's not going for free".

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Fantastic detective work as ever.

If the decisions weren’t mutual, I deduce that these two, like Walton, are not destined for the 1st team squad. I suspect all three will be for sale.

Think Walton will be off, probably Ostigard too if the extension wasn't mutual - options taken so we can get a transfer fee. Richards I think we have some wriggle room with - he's young, and a Championship loan would be a step up for him ....... basically the Ben White path. I'll stay hopeful.

Jul 7, 2003
I know it is a little of topic but Davy Propper has some great middle names!

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Inevitable that Richards and Ostigsard have been given extensions. Both outstanding on loan. Richards has had a 'Connolly', the new name for younguns proving they can cope with being professional footballers and has done so in spectacular style. Expect this left footed, goal scoring AMC to contribute next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports