Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] U-23's retain/release announcement

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Curious statement - Rees hasn't played since early November.

Oh I thought he had, must be thinking of last season and being in lockdown for a year has me twisted. When was he on loan to Worthing? He did really well whenever that was!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
corrected for you. massive jump to PL as we have seen with Connolly. I'd prefer to see that first team space filled by a high calibre forward than someone who showed promise in the U23s. I hope Cashman gets a club and does well.
Can't say I agree with your 'correction', but the comparison with Connolly and Cashman is interesting. Neither have gone out on loan (apart from Connolly's derisory two appearances for Luton) to see how well they can carry on their goal-scoring spree in 'grown-up' football. Some of us are of the opinion that Connolly should spend time nurturing his skills on loan this season - personally I'd have liked to have seen how well Cashman did in, say, League 1 before we released him, but hey-ho - what is what is.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Oh I thought he had, must be thinking of last season and being in lockdown for a year has me twisted. When was he on loan to Worthing? He did really well whenever that was!

He was there last season (2019-20) to cover for Carl Rushworth who had arranged to go on loan but then broke a finger.

Rees did return to Worthing this season, but actually played fewer matches (due to the pandemic) and his last match was November 3rd.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
He was there last season (2019-20) to cover for Carl Rushworth who had arranged to go on loan but then broke a finger.

Rees did return to Worthing this season, but actually played fewer matches (due to the pandemic) and his last match was November 3rd.

As ever I'm happy to bow to your knowledge!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Cashman and Rees being released has really surprised me as both have had great seasons. Though the reasons for the release aren't just "are they good enough?" but also "who else do we already have in that position?" and how do they fit in with the rest of the squad.

Tom McGill has got to be feeling hopeful what with Christian Walton moving on now.

McGill behind Rushworth in the queue I'd have thought?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
By my reckoning, that leaves Alex Cochrane, Leo Ostigard and Taylor Richards as the only non-first-team squad players who are out of contract this summer.

Don’t we have options on Richards and ostigaard?

ifightbears

Jul 19, 2010
Cornwall
Danny Cashman - Everitt
Peter Gwargis - Miller
Kipras Kazukolovas - Offiah
Rocco Rees - Talley
Stefan Vukoje - Peupion

Feels like part of the decision making is the players who are coming up from the u18s next year

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Keen on Ostigard - but has Gyokeres impressed that much?

Serious question - just asking)

A mate is a Coventry fan that is quite involved with fan stuff online (forum/social media etc); he says they're both popular and fans want them there next season. That's the extent of what I was told! Gyokeres has scored a few goals for them.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Interesting comments about Danny Cashman on this thread. I haven't seen a lot of the U-23s this season, but when I have I've been impressed with Cashman as one of the hardest working players on the pitch. He is also clearly capable of finding the net; six goals this season (and in his U-15 schoolboy season he notched 44 goals). He has 8 caps for England at U-16 and U-17 level.

However, I have also wondered to myself this season: can I honestly envisage him breaking into the Albion first-team in the Premier League? If so, in what position? Does he have the physicality to thrive in that environment?

There is a heck of a step up from the U-23s to the Premier League (just ask Aaron Connolly).

He has been with Albion since U-12 level, so they have had ample opportunity to assess whether they think he will become a Premier League player (and that, ultimately, is what it boils down to).

I wish him all the best; it will be interesting to see where his footballing career progresses from here.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A mate is a Coventry fan that is quite involved with fan stuff online (forum/social media etc); he says they're both popular and fans want them there next season. That's the extent of what I was told! Gyokeres has scored a few goals for them.

Fairy nuff. Thanks for the info.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Don’t we have options on Richards and ostigaard?

And Cochrane - I was simply stating who we can expect to hear an announcement about over the next few weeks. Options are simply that - options - they don't HAVE to be taken up by the club, as evidenced by the fact that they haven't taken up Cashman's option.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
RE: Cashman they wanted to loan him out this season but were not able to...

What? Nobody in League 1or 2 were wanting to take him? Even USG told Uncle Tony where to stick him? Surely if that's that case there must be more to this than meets the eye. What is it you know that the rest of us don't?

ifightbears

Jul 19, 2010
Cornwall
What? Nobody in League 1or 2 were wanting to take him? Even USG told Uncle Tony where to stick him? Surely if that's that case there must be more to this than meets the eye. What is it you know that the rest of us don't?

RE: Cashman, *you wonder if* they wanted to loan him out this season but were not able to...

Sorry, long day. Do feel like in 'normal' season he would of had a league 1/ 2 club take a chance on him in January.

He retweeted earlier today the story about how Mendy went from a released Cherbourg player to Chelsea first team keeper, good luck to him!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here