Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] U-23's retain/release announcement

Machi

Sep 18, 2020
Hove
Cashman is literally the clone of Connolly. They probably decided they don't need another striker of this type. There is another similar one (Longman) doing good in Wimbledon, also very promising Zak Emmerson and Evan Ferguson

Stumpy Tim

I'm going to go against the grain, and say I've always been a little disappointed with Cashman when I've seen him. I hope he gets fixed up with a club and has a great career, but he didn't feel me with confidence that he would make it at Brighton. Connolly was more impressive as a youngster and he's struggling to make an impact at senior level.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cant say I know much about Cashman but he seems to be a bit “Jack Grealish” in the hair department. Maybe this is the reason we got shot of him? Too big a risk.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm going to go against the grain, and say I've always been a little disappointed with Cashman when I've seen him. I hope he gets fixed up with a club and has a great career, but he didn't feel me with confidence that he would make it at Brighton. Connolly was more impressive as a youngster and he's struggling to make an impact at senior level.

I tend to agree to an extent.

It must be very difficult to judge who will ‘eventually’ be ready to play in the top league in the world.

The youngsters are no longer trying to break into a league one or championship team, increasingly hard for them, but hopefully easier to get an opportunity lower down.

Good luck to all of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
And Cochrane - I was simply stating who we can expect to hear an announcement about over the next few weeks. Options are simply that - options - they don't HAVE to be taken up by the club, as evidenced by the fact that they haven't taken up Cashman's option.

Thanks.
I wonder how much of a difficult judgment call it is for clubs, on whether to take up options, with view to selling.
If they are not part of the club’s plans, the player presumably would want to go on a free to get a better deal elsewhere.
But Richards and Ostigaard are worth maybe £5-7m between them going into the final year of their contracts. Handy money.
I read Man U were planning to take up an option on Lingaard, just to get a fee this summer.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I thought Cashman has had a decent season without setting the world alight. His U23 goalscoring record does not quite match that of Ryan Longman at Wimbledon, which is the most telling comparison.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/brighton-open-talks-with-in-form-longman-over-new-contract/

I think he has neat close control, but could get his head up more. I think he has a great chance of getting a professional contract somewhere, if that is what he wants, but he will need to adjust to the physical side of league football to progress.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Cashman is 20, obviously young but by that age you should either be somewhere close to the first team squad or someone else will be taking your spot. Havent seen any of the U18 games but from what I've heard Emmerson and Ferguson sounds very promising (and who knows, maybe the club intends to sign some other mega talented striker as well) and perhaps the intention is to play them in the U23s next season and then you have to ask: what is best for Danny Cashman? Maybe being on the bench behind two players three years younger than him would do more harm to his confidence and ability than it would do to just let him move on.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I thought Cashman has had a decent season without setting the world alight. His U23 goalscoring record does not quite match that of Ryan Longman at Wimbledon, which is the most telling comparison.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/brighton-open-talks-with-in-form-longman-over-new-contract/

I think he has neat close control, but could get his head up more. I think he has a great chance of getting a professional contract somewhere, if that is what he wants, but he will need to adjust to the physical side of league football to progress.

Stockport with Simon Rusk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Echo those who are saying, very surprised about Cashman, but wishing him all the best and am sure he'll have a career in professional football

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Interesting comments about Danny Cashman on this thread. I haven't seen a lot of the U-23s this season, but when I have I've been impressed with Cashman as one of the hardest working players on the pitch. He is also clearly capable of finding the net; six goals this season (and in his U-15 schoolboy season he notched 44 goals). He has 8 caps for England at U-16 and U-17 level.

However, I have also wondered to myself this season: can I honestly envisage him breaking into the Albion first-team in the Premier League? If so, in what position? Does he have the physicality to thrive in that environment?

There is a heck of a step up from the U-23s to the Premier League (just ask Aaron Connolly).

He has been with Albion since U-12 level, so they have had ample opportunity to assess whether they think he will become a Premier League player (and that, ultimately, is what it boils down to).

I wish him all the best; it will be interesting to see where his footballing career progresses from here.

That is NOT what it all boils down to, though, is it? The model developed by Chelsea and others, shows the way. The ideal goal is to get one or two players per season to your own first team squad, but developing others to the point that they are saleable to Championship / League One clubs, as a funding source, to help the academy pay for itself.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Got to agree with that. Always seems a bit harsh to judge an U23 but in the games I've seen, he hasn't stood out at all like you would expect a player to at his age if they are going to make it at the higher levels of professional football, the way that Jenks, Weir and Khadra have for example who are all the same age or slightly younger.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
That is NOT what it all boils down to, though, is it? The model developed by Chelsea and others, shows the way. The ideal goal is to get one or two players per season to your own first team squad, but developing others to the point that they are saleable to Championship / League One clubs, as a funding source, to help the academy pay for itself.

Completely correct however the pandemic means that hardly any of them will be paying any transfer fees at all for some time.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I always hate reading the U23s release list, but the simple fact is that having spent all that time with them, often some number of years, you have to believe the coaching staff are in the best position to make the call. Of course, some will be wrong, but by the time the players are over 20 and not knocking on the door of the squad or doing well at Championship level, you have to question whether they will still make it into the higher echelons ? (Jamie Vardy, Ian Wright, Stuart Pearce etc etc aside).

Good luck to them all.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Pleased to see Sam Packam getting a deal. I watched him a few times when he was at Imberhorne School as he played in the same team as my son. Was such a good player at a young age but its difficult to judge whether they will make it.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Thanks.
I wonder how much of a difficult judgment call it is for clubs, on whether to take up options, with view to selling.
If they are not part of the club’s plans, the player presumably would want to go on a free to get a better deal elsewhere.
But Richards and Ostigaard are worth maybe £5-7m between them going into the final year of their contracts. Handy money.
I read Man U were planning to take up an option on Lingaard, just to get a fee this summer.

Both their contracts expire in the summer, bt I believe that we have further 1-year options on both. Can't remember the exact source for this but it makes sense as I doubt we'd have loaned them otherwise. Reckon Ostigaard coming in is dependent on whether or not we get a bid for White that we can't refuse, and even then it'd probably be between him and Matt Clarke. Can't see there being much chance of first-team action for Richards unless we were to get relegated.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
However, I have also wondered to myself this season: can I honestly envisage him breaking into the Albion first-team in the Premier League? If so, in what position? Does he have the physicality to thrive in that environment?

There is a heck of a step up from the U-23s to the Premier League (just ask Aaron Connolly).

That is the $64m question though for all of them surely?

Putting you on the spot completely......out of the current crop who do you think will be able to make the step up?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Cashman and Rees being released has really surprised me as both have had great seasons. Though the reasons for the release aren't just "are they good enough?" but also "who else do we already have in that position?" and how do they fit in with the rest of the squad.

Tom McGill has got to be feeling hopeful what with Christian Walton moving on now.

Really disappointed that Rees has been released.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
That is the $64m question though for all of them surely?

Putting you on the spot completely......out of the current crop who do you think will be able to make the step up?

It wasn't me you were asking the question to, but I look at Jenks and can see him having a career in the top two divisions. He looks to have the passing, physicality and leadership to be able to adapt

The trouble is, progress of young players is never linear. In the same way as youngsters grow in spurts, their performances improve unequally.

This can cause, Chelsea to let go, De Bruyne, and Salah and Soton to let go Ben White.

We'll undoubtedly let go of young players who will go on to do well. It's inevitable. It doesn't mean we've made a mistake, we can't just horde them.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Are you suggesting we wanted him to stay, but he rejected our terms?

If so, that simply isn't true, as when he signed a one-year contract last August it was specifically stated that the club had a further one-year option.

He has been released, simple as that.

Of course, whilst you are right, there are rumours that he's off to Coventry. Northampton Town, Shrewsbury Town, and Cheltenham Town were also supposedly interested in January.

It is possible that the club would've been happy to enact that one-year option but had some doubts about his ability to step up to the first team in the next year and it was seen as a better option for both club and player to let him leave.
[MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION] you know far more than me; am I right in thinking that we get a training compensation fee for any transfer of a youth player released by the club makes before their 23rd birthday?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here