Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two Derby Fans in Court...

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Millwall could be 100+ if it weren't for all the police being otherwise engaged

Feel sorry for Darren and his team. There is a line where banter turns nasty and it isnt easy. I saw and heard one lad in the van after the Derby game and he had every chance to have gone home with a warning but just would not let up.

Odds on no arrests cos Millwall are too roughty toughty?........

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Bit over the top if you ask me , when will it end ? How many Brighton fans sing 'You fat *******' is that not the same ? when will that become a criminal offence ? Just a bit of banter if you ask me does no one any harm , sticks and stones and all that ! Now they will get a fine and have to come all the way from Humberside for the court hearing , well over the top !

This is my opinion and away supporters can call me all what they want and will get it back ))) no wonder there is no atmosphere these days.

Could not agree more with you. Where will it end?? I remember the vile abuse David Beckham used to get about his family, didn't see anyone get nicked for that let alone end up in court but hey it doesn't tick any 'hate crime' or 'diversity' boxes does it.

If you got you're house broken into you probably wouldn't even see a policeman, perhaps the police should get their priorities right and target proper crime instead of trying to prove how 'inclusive' they are.

Harmless banter is all it is, if it offends you dont come to football.

Dandyman

In London village.
Could not agree more with you. Where will it end?? I remember the vile abuse David Beckham used to get about his family, didn't see anyone get nicked for that let alone end up in court but hey it doesn't tick any 'hate crime' or 'diversity' boxes does it.

If you got you're house broken into you probably wouldn't even see a policeman, perhaps the police should get their priorities right and target proper crime instead of trying to prove how 'inclusive' they are.

It's a little known fact that being David Beckham was illegal until 1967 and Beckham bashing was considered a fair sport once upon a time.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If I could be arsed, I'd quite like to go back & see how many of those who say "it's just banter" (and let's be honest here, I doubt very much they've been nicked for suggesting the holding of hands amongst our support is visible from their seat), were on the Newport County thread, complaining that the County subs were calling fans "******s"?

If you stood in the middle of Western Road screaming that sort of thing at passers by, you might expect, at the very least, to be spoken to by police. Clearly someone has made an allegation that these guys have crossed a line, therefore the police on duty are obliged to act on that. What are they supposed to say to the complainant: "Wind your neck in & man up, Grandad, it's only banter"?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Hahahaha. You're the chap that was rounding on everyone who was calling the jocks in Trafalgar Square mean names. You couldn't make it up. You absolute hypocrite.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I had my house burgled, the police did visit, and the burglars were caught. There is more than one or two policemen around, although at the moment they all seem to be at Balcombe.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
If I could be arsed, I'd quite like to go back & see how many of those who say "it's just banter" (and let's be honest here, I doubt very much they've been nicked for suggesting the holding of hands amongst our support is visible from their seat), were on the Newport County thread, complaining that the County subs were calling fans "******s"?

If you stood in the middle of Western Road screaming that sort of thing at passers by, you might expect, at the very least, to be spoken to by police. Clearly someone has made an allegation that these guys have crossed a line, therefore the police on duty are obliged to act on that. What are they supposed to say to the complainant: "Wind your neck in & man up, Grandad, it's only banter"?

But is banter illegal? As the old saying goes, there's no law against being a ****. The law needs to be better clarified, and better enforced, wrt homophobic abuse. "Does your boyfriend know your here?" count as homophobic abuse or offensive language? Of course full-on abuse must never be tolerated, but at what point do we draw the line?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The only problem with this is that here were loads of Derby giving out abuse outside the away end.

How did the police select these two?

And will they go into the away end when Millwall come down and start arresting everyone giving out homophobic abuse.

The away end will be empty by half time.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
But is banter illegal? As the old saying goes, there's no law against being a ****. The law needs to be better clarified, and better enforced, wrt homophobic abuse. "Does your boyfriend know your here?" count as homophobic abuse or offensive language? Of course full-on abuse must never be tolerated, but at what point do we draw the line?

I guess when you get smacked in the face....whichever side your on. Or get nicked to prove point in a court of law!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Maybe if you're really interested in what they said, and were arrested for, then go to the Magistrates court on Thursday to listen to the evidence being read out.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
It's the okd saying.....'Sticks and Stones'...it does worry some....me I could'nt give a toss about it but if someone is offended then it should be sorted...

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Hahahaha. You're the chap that was rounding on everyone who was calling the jocks in Trafalgar Square mean names. You couldn't make it up. You absolute hypocrite.

Hahaha and you're the chap who didn't respond to my post last week aren't you when challenged to!!!

Not a hypocrite at all..................last week wasn't 'rounding on' anyone my point was why is it acceptable to make derogatory comments about scottish people (I believe 'mac w@nkers' was your description) but i bet nobody would dare make derogatory comments about a large congregation of asian people. I asked you what pre-fix would you use equivalent to your 'mac' one about scottish people to describe asian people and you prompty............................dissapeared!!!!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Whilst i have sympathy with your point re 'tick box' i dont get your point re ''if it offends dont come to football''...so we don't want to attract families for example?...Why should it be acceptable just because its at a football game...it seems some of this stuff is more than just ''good ol banter''

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Hahaha and you're the chap who didn't respond to my post last week aren't you when challenged to!!!

Not a hypocrite at all..................last week wasn't 'rounding on' anyone my point was why is it acceptable to make derogatory comments about scottish people (I believe 'mac w@nkers' was your description) but i bet nobody would dare make derogatory comments about a large congregation of asian people. I asked you what pre-fix would you use equivalent to your 'mac' one about scottish people to describe asian people and you prompty............................dissapeared!!!!

Our beloved Scots friends in the 'Majority' like to hate or antagonise the English if they can, it's a rivalry and people in a tribe 'mode' will automatically do it. We taunt them they slag us off so if you call me a pasty southern softie I'll call you a ginger jock!...................it's happened for centuries and will happen for centuries yet, together we have been very successful. Weird that! Now go feck off ya Sweaty jocks!......love ya really

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The only problem with this is that here were loads of Derby giving out abuse outside the away end.

How did the police select these two?

And will they go into the away end when Millwall come down and start arresting everyone giving out homophobic abuse.

The away end will be empty by half time.

ok so they picked out 2 as an example ....if they are going to be consistent pick out 2 millwall should the problem reoccur ...like you i doubt very much if they will

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
This just on Twitter, a Football Supporters Federation caseworker..

FSF Faircop ‏@FSF_FairCop 36s
Three fans in touch today for legal advice. Two charged with homophobic chanting and one with pitch encroachment.

Bit of a conflict of interest for them. I presume they are bothered about fans receiving homophobic abuse, as they would be for racial abuse. But also appearing to stand up for the rights of those charged...

Innocent until proven guilty remember. And like lawyers, even if it's blatant that they've done it, someone has to stick up for them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here