Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TV chefs

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I had the pleasure of meeting Keith Floyd on New Years morning at his pub (Floyds Inn) in Tuckenhay on the Dart Estuary circa 1993. My fiancee/now vicious ex wife) and I travelled up the river in the rain in a rubber dinghy powered by a 25 yr old Seagull outboard motor. Even then I was a fan. Once inside the pub he cadged a Silk Cut and announced to those assembled that he wasn't talking to his partner Shaunagh ( an blond Amazonian looking woman from Dartmouth behind the bar) that he wasn't talking to her because she hadn't given him a bl*wj*b when he'd woken up. By then his Silk Cut had expired and he said'' that was nice, you don't mind if I have another''.
I was flabbergasted and bought another round.
God's honest true story. The ex-wife remarried, lived in Exeter, attacked her new husband with a kitchen knife in the bedroom, they divorced and now we're sharing experiences.
Supporting the Albion gives me welcome respite. The Bournemouth game was a cakewalk compared to the above !
I have met many (Celebs?) but always wanted to meet K Floyd...loved his programmes and he couldn't give a F*** what anyone one else thought....Camera up here Clive...just have a slurp...classic.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Can't stand him, or his Fly Pie, made with real flies.

01.50 am and you post this ? It's either weird or a drunken post unless it is genuine and I must have missed Hugh F-W do a gastronomic tour of North Korea ?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I am cooking his ox cheeks with ginger as we speak. Smells good.

How did that turn out ? Where did you get your ox cheeks from, a proper butchers presumably. Do they have much meat on them. I love slow-cooked braised meat dishes like that.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
If you are into traditional British dishes, with none of that foreign muck, maybe you would like to check out bankrupt BNP leader Nick Griffin's "Recipes for beating the Tory Blues" over on youtube.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The "chilli heavy" comment appeals. I must admit I really enjoyed the Spanish series he did. Maybe I should give his Indian series a chance.

Rick Stein's India book is brilliant, lots of very good and healthy veggie ones as well.
It may not be very authentic, but it seems more authentic than many and they're nearly all really easy recipes

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
A lot has been said about him but the Jamie books are the most used in our household followed closely by Claudia Roden and Nigella.

Agree Mr Oliver can be a bit of an annoying tw*t sometimes but I believe his heart is in the right place with much of what he tries to achieve.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Having just been given his book 'At Home' - You have to admire Michael Caines, to fight back and obtain two Michelin Stars after losing an arm in a car accident, is some going.

Looking forward to giving his Bambi recipe a go.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Rick Stein's India book is brilliant, lots of very good and healthy veggie ones as well.
It may not be very authentic, but it seems more authentic than many and they're nearly all really easy recipes

Thanks. I think I'll give it a go. I'm not too bothered about authenticity. In fact I prefer trad British curry house menu as opposed to ones which claim to be more authentic. I prefer the food but also the concept of food and cultures evolving.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I like Ching He Huang's recipes, easy to follow most of the time and she's quite easy on the eye. Her presentation style isn't for everybody but her recipes are usually easy-ish and taste good. I have a couple of her books plus the one she did with Ken Hom-some good, easy to follow authentic Chinese food.

A bit obscure but on one of the food channels was 2 series of Cooking The Thai Way-presented by Sompon Nabnian from his Chiang Mai cooking school and various locations in Thailand. His book Thai Home Cooking in conjunction with Robert Carmack is worth looking out for. Again, easy to follow recipes that taste good. Some tricky to find items but he always includes an easy to find substitute. A good starting book for fans of Thai food.

the slow norris

Feb 8, 2005
Suffolk
Made the chicken vindail from rick steins India last night. Needed to chilli it up (recipe just uses chilli powder, I ended up putting 6 red chillies in there as well). it was delicious, best thing I've cooked from there and easy as anything. Sweet, sour, hot and rammed full of flavour, if you have the book I'd give it a go

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here