Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TV chefs

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Love Simon Rimmer on SFTW or whatever they call it these days on C4. Very simple recipes that make you want to cook them there and then.

A nod for the Hairy bikers, don't take them selves too seriously and it's food you want to eat.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can't deal with Rimmer as to watch him means watching Tim Lovejoy.

An absolute no no in my book.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Lovejoy does gets painful. I just zone out. But they usually have some good guests, and some quality music.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Do you ever use any of their recipes, enjoy watching their programmes, and who do you consider to be the best?

For me, Rick Stein is my favourite. I love watching any of his programmes, and having visited his various eateries in Cornwall it's cool to see some of those places again. Plus I love fish.
View attachment 49853

Anything Jamie Oliver does annoys the crap out of me. Never been to his Brighton restaurant, and it doesn't particularly appeal.

Being single then I use YouTube to cook some good dishes. Easy to follow and watch the experts stage by stage :)

Have to keep pausing and rewinding a bit lol

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Jamie Oliver recipies are easy to follow and work.

Delia - I don't possess enough pans

Nigella - too faffy, always needs an ingredient only available in Waitrose

Ramsay - up himself and too complicated

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Surprised Ramsey hasn't already been mentioned...just on account of him having his own knob placed firmly up his backside at all times.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Too sweary to be taken seriously

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Surprised Ramsey hasn't already been mentioned...just on account of him having his own knob placed firmly up his backside at all times.

Indeed, can't he do tv without swearing ?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Tom kerridge is good but Raymond Blanc is the best...

Ask any professional chef and they all slate Jamie Oliver for nicking other peoples ideas.

I asked for, and got, Kerridges book for xmas, and have this morning made his celeriac and apple soup to feed the family this lunchtime. Mains is a chicken curry based on a Hairy Bikers recipe.

As with all these things, use a recipe as a guide only.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Mrs Cradock - The queen of 'em all

66The_Innocence_Of_50_s_Adver.jpgbontxoxhzunpbig.jpg

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
To be honest I like watching all of them EXCEPT Anthony Worrall Thompson. Can't stand the man and never think much of his food either.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Rick Stein is good, I have eaten at the seafood restaurant and it was very nice. I have a lesson in his cookery school booked in for the spring, it was a present.
Best food, Raymond Blanc, but almost impossible to copy as his food is very complex. Which makes Nigel Slater the best for me.
Lorraine Pascal is also good but I cant concentrate on the recipes she whisks me up to a stiff peak.
Jamie Oliver is only ok if you like tongue.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I watch the programmes bexause I enjoy seeing the recipes but as for the personalties themselves I don't think I like any of them. The Hairy Bikers were OK for a while but their relentless matiness grinds a bit, Jamie Oliver's continued insistence that he is 'street' is annoying. Nigella seems self-obsessed, Rick Stein has a superiority complex, James Martin is a professional Yorkshireman etc etc I suppose Nigel Slater is OK in small doses but he appears to believe everybody lives in Kensington. And Hugh Fearnley-Whittingsall has at least proved that you can survive on your own resources quite handily (as long as you were vorn in Hampstead and went to Eton and Oxford and appear to live in the headquarters of the Countryside Alliance or maybe I'm just bitter :D).

It's been the same since Keith Floyd stopped making progammes. I guess the only two really worth watching for the chefs themselves are Gennaro and Antonio.

IMO :D

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No mention of Heston yet. He gets my vote as a tv chef due to the interesting science he peppers his shows with.

seagull 1979

Praying for points
Aug 29, 2011
Bicester
I don't watch a lot of the TV shows but do have a library of 100+ cook books, to some this might seem slightly obsessive but I run 16 pubs so its good to keep up with current trends and new techniques and remind yourself of some old classics. My top 10 must have books based on easy to follow recipes and great wholesome food in no particular order are -

Simon Hopkinson - The Good Cook, Week in Week out, Roast Chicken and other stories & The Prawn Cocktail Years.
Marcus Wearing - Gilbert Scott, Nutmeg & Custard.
Madalene Bonvini-Hemel - The British Larder
Peter Gordon - Salads, Vegetables
Hugh Fernley Whittingstall - Three Good Things
Tom Kerridge - Proper Pub Food
Yotam Ottelenghi - Plenty, The Cookbook, Jerusalem
Mario Batali - Molto Italiano
Bruno Loubet - Mange Tout
Gary Rhodes - New British Classics, Spring in to Summer, Autumn in to Winter
Nathan Outlaw - British Seafood

I know that the list is 11 but I just couldn't leave any of these out.

On the point about whether professional chefs hate Jamie Oliver for ripping off other peoples recipes, they don't! this happens all the time and is just part of the business. However they do hate him because they are all jealous of the fact that he was lucky enough to be picked up by a TV film crew and is now worth 50+ Million and they haven't been, we had numerous film crews in the Raymond Blanc kitchens I worked in for 4 years and I never got a sniff...

Jamie Oliver :angry::tosser::tantrum::angry::tosser::tantrum::angry::tosser::tantrum:

seagull 1979

Praying for points
Aug 29, 2011
Bicester
oh and this is a must have book for everybody who cooks, it might not be filled with glossy pictures but will have every recipe you'll ever need -

Darina Allen - The Ballymaloe Cookery School

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't watch a lot of the TV shows but do have a library of 100+ cook books, to some this might seem slightly obsessive but I run 16 pubs so its good to keep up with current trends and new techniques and remind yourself of some old classics. My top 10 must have books based on easy to follow recipes and great wholesome food in no particular order are -

Simon Hopkinson - The Good Cook, Week in Week out, Roast Chicken and other stories & The Prawn Cocktail Years.
Marcus Wearing - Gilbert Scott, Nutmeg & Custard.
Madalene Bonvini-Hemel - The British Larder
Peter Gordon - Salads, Vegetables
Hugh Fernley Whittingstall - Three Good Things
Tom Kerridge - Proper Pub Food
Yotam Ottelenghi - Plenty, The Cookbook, Jerusalem
Mario Batali - Molto Italiano
Bruno Loubet - Mange Tout
Gary Rhodes - New British Classics, Spring in to Summer, Autumn in to Winter
Nathan Outlaw - British Seafood

I know that the list is 11 but I just couldn't leave any of these out.

On the point about whether professional chefs hate Jamie Oliver for ripping off other peoples recipes, they don't! this happens all the time and is just part of the business. However they do hate him because they are all jealous of the fact that he was lucky enough to be picked up by a TV film crew and is now worth 50+ Million and they haven't been, we had numerous film crews in the Raymond Blanc kitchens I worked in for 4 years and I never got a sniff...

Jamie Oliver :angry::tosser::tantrum::angry::tosser::tantrum::angry::tosser::tantrum:

What's the Tom Kerridge book like? I'm aware of his restaurant style but want to know if the book recipes are reasonably straight forward for the home kitchen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here