Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TV chefs

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Oh I do like Nathan Outlaw a lot. I remember when he was competing on one of my favourite shows, Great British Menu. I love that show, I love Pru, Matthew and Olliver and all the little known small town eatery chefs that compete. So much better than master chef.

seagull 1979

Praying for points
Aug 29, 2011
Bicester
What's the Tom Kerridge book like? I'm aware of his restaurant style but want to know if the book recipes are reasonably straight forward for the home kitchen.

His book is definitely one of the more simple to follow, with most recipes fitting on one to one and a half pages including a picture but most importantly for domestic use the ingredient list is short and usually general things you will find in the average kitchen, other books like Ottolenghi or Nigella would require visits to 3-4 different supermarkets to find the 1/4 tsp of Himalayan goat semen that in real terms no one would even notice it was missing.

He's got a really simple lamb and Boulanger potato dish that is a knock out with just 8 ingredients and its a case of stick it in the oven tighter for 4 hours and its job done. I'm not keen on his excessive use of Broccoli stalks, I much prefer the florets but that aside its great.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
What's the Tom Kerridge book like? I'm aware of his restaurant style but want to know if the book recipes are reasonably straight forward for the home kitchen.

I thought they were. The celeriac & apple soup I made was really easy, and well received by the family on New Years day. Having thumbed through the rest of it, not much is too difficult, some are a little time-consuming, i.e. a little work over a couple of days. I actually really want to have ago at his home-made baked beans. Quite a number of other recipes looked appealing too.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
Gary Rhodes is the only chef i know of who will not cook on a live show. No idea why though. Someone will probably prove me wrong now but i'm pretty sure its correct.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I wanted to try Tom Kerridges book, but I was put off by some reviews regarding errors in it. The main being the amount of salt in the brine (not that I'd be likely to make those recipes) in some of those recipes.

Corrected at http://www.absolutepress.co.uk/books/tom-kerridges-proper-pub-food/ but after reviews I may purchase it at some point.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I am a bit more selective than broadly sticking to one chef,... I love the Jamie Oliver America book, some truly great nosh in there,... I also really like the Rick Stein India book, top sub-continent food, havnt found better in all the years I have cooked.

PS: Although Tom Kerridge does appear on telly, he actually has Michelin stars, so would probably gasp at being described as a TV chef.

FYI - My favourite is Paul Ainsworth in Padstow,... his two restaurants are both sensational, if pricey, but thats what you pay for Michelin starred food.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Oh I do like Nathan Outlaw a lot. I remember when he was competing on one of my favourite shows, Great British Menu. I love that show, I love Pru, Matthew and Olliver and all the little known small town eatery chefs that compete. So much better than master chef.

Thats where I first heard of Paul Ainsworth.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am a bit more selective than broadly sticking to one chef,... I love the Jamie Oliver America book, some truly great nosh in there,... I also really like the Rick Stein India book, top sub-continent food, havnt found better in all the years I have cooked.

PS: Although Tom Kerridge does appear on telly, he actually has Michelin stars, so would probably gasp at being described as a TV chef.

FYI - My favourite is Paul Ainsworth in Padstow,... his two restaurants are both sensational, if pricey, but thats what you pay for Michelin starred food.

I agree about the Oliver US book. Was an interesting tv show as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
His book is definitely one of the more simple to follow, with most recipes fitting on one to one and a half pages including a picture but most importantly for domestic use the ingredient list is short and usually general things you will find in the average kitchen, other books like Ottolenghi or Nigella would require visits to 3-4 different supermarkets to find the 1/4 tsp of Himalayan goat semen that in real terms no one would even notice it was missing.

He's got a really simple lamb and Boulanger potato dish that is a knock out with just 8 ingredients and its a case of stick it in the oven tighter for 4 hours and its job done. I'm not keen on his excessive use of Broccoli stalks, I much prefer the florets but that aside its great.

I thought they were. The celeriac & apple soup I made was really easy, and well received by the family on New Years day. Having thumbed through the rest of it, not much is too difficult, some are a little time-consuming, i.e. a little work over a couple of days. I actually really want to have ago at his home-made baked beans. Quite a number of other recipes looked appealing too.

Thanks. You guys have sold it to me.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Love Tom Kerridge. Great guy and a good read but be careful - bought my lad the recipe book and it clearly hadnt been proof read as some of the measures were clearly wrong (way too much salt !).
I have an old French book with bread and pastry recipes but I went to catering college and can remember most basics.Watch tv for "modern" stuff and I get to meet some chefs through work which can be handy - they all love talking about their food which makes picking up ideas easy :lolol:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Love Tom Kerridge. Great guy and a good read but be careful - bought my lad the recipe book and it clearly hadnt been proof read as some of the measures were clearly wrong (way too much salt !).
I have an old French book with bread and pastry recipes but I went to catering college and can remember most basics.Watch tv for "modern" stuff and I get to meet some chefs through work which can be handy - they all love talking about their food which makes picking up ideas easy :lolol:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I also really like the Rick Stein India book, top sub-continent food, havnt found better in all the years I have cooked.

I really enjoyed the series, and just purchased the book. Thanks for the reminder!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Bourdain doesnt cook on screen but i would rather watch him any day of the week over the others just for good food telly.

for sauciness Tonia Buxton is head and shoulders above yer Pascals or Lawsons.

I am astounded at how many people on here watch food programmes for recipes. quite inpressive.

*roots round messy drawer for dominos leaflet*

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Bourdain doesnt cook on screen but i would rather watch him any day of the week over the others just for good food telly.

for sauciness Tonia Buxton is head and shoulders above yer Pascals or Lawsons.

I am astounded at how many people on here watch food programmes for recipes. quite inpressive.

*roots round messy drawer for dominos leaflet*

I have the Tom Kerridge book & make the slow cooked lamb. It is (excuse me) amazeballs and very, very easy. Don't like him on telly though, the way he talks makes me cringe though he comes over as a nice geezer.

Bourdain is wonderful entertainment and I'd rather watch a dozen of his shows that one Nigel Slater. Also a fantastic writer.

Can't stand Jamie Oliver. I'm sure I got slated on here for that a while back though?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oh, and if there's one I'd cheerfully never see again it's actually Lorraine Pascal. "I'm just going to do my own little twist on something perfectly obvious that doesn't need it because that's all I can think of."

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
One look at Tom Kerridge does at least suggest his food would be tasty, if not exactly Weight Watchers' material.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here