Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TV chefs

seagull 1979

Praying for points
Aug 29, 2011
Bicester
Slightly O/T but seems peeps on here are into it .... thinking of buying a Halogen oven, look dead easy and less of a pfaff than regular ovens.

This one specifically http://www.andrewjamesworldwide.com/UserControls/productIndividual.aspx?ProductID=278

Anyone got any experience of them?

BTW .. a vote here for Ottolenghi and Jerusalem ... I don't get anywhere near it but my Mrs has found some real gems in there

I've not heard of this type of oven for commercial use but have had some experience of halogen grills and have found them to be very quick to heat and use but also quite juicey in terms of energy consumption, of the four we had in our group three had bulb failures within the first year which fortunately were covered under warranty otherwise would have cost almost the same to replace as the grill cost initially. We have gone back to the more traditional grills now.

My advice check the cost of a spare bulb first as they are so fragile.

Hope that helps

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have no problem with mr Oliver at all, unlike some. I have several books and the recipes always seem to work for me. My kind of food too.

I have ever changing opinions of him. But, I do believe his heart is in the right place, that he is genuinely interested in what he does and the people he meets and that he is a good chef and his recipes transfer very well into the domestic situation. But, his matey middle-class geezer persona is a little grating at times as is his tendency to patronize the poor. I'm not a huge fan of the aspirational middle-class and he embodies a lot of what I dislike. The thing is, if I ever met him and had a beer with him I'd probably sing his praises forever more.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I've not heard of this type of oven for commercial use but have had some experience of halogen grills and have found them to be very quick to heat and use but also quite juicey in terms of energy consumption, of the four we had in our group three had bulb failures within the first year which fortunately were covered under warranty otherwise would have cost almost the same to replace as the grill cost initially. We have gone back to the more traditional grills now.

My advice check the cost of a spare bulb first as they are so fragile.

Hope that helps

Cheers .. defo not for commercial but looks a good domestic addition. Bulb is £12 so if I assume we get a year out of it then that's OK

Mrs has gone barmy on your cook book stuff ... cost a load more than a bulb :lolol:

seagull 1979

Praying for points
Aug 29, 2011
Bicester
Sounds like it's worth a punt, let me know how it works out.

Sorry about the book's but fortunately I don't charge for cooking/technical advice if needed so at least you'll enjoy some fantastic food!

😊

seagull 1979

Praying for points
Aug 29, 2011
Bicester
I have ever changing opinions of him. But, I do believe his heart is in the right place, that he is genuinely interested in what he does and the people he meets and that he is a good chef and his recipes transfer very well into the domestic situation. But, his matey middle-class geezer persona is a little grating at times as is his tendency to patronize the poor. I'm not a huge fan of the aspirational middle-class and he embodies a lot of what I dislike. The thing is, if I ever met him and had a beer with him I'd probably sing his praises forever more.

Aside from being insanely jealous I think his campaigns for school dinners and animal welfare can only be thought of as good things.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We bought a halogen oven and used it a couple of times it then went into
the cupboard and there it has stayed. I wasnt over impressed with the end result of cooking with it,

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
We use a halogen oven in the camper van but it doesnt really earn its keep tbh as it is too much bother to cook on holidays when you can go to a restaurant. They are ok but take up a lot of space if you are only going to use it now and then..

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
We bought a halogen oven and used it a couple of times it then went into
the cupboard and there it has stayed. I wasnt over impressed with the end result of cooking with it,

We use a halogen oven in the camper van but it doesnt really earn its keep tbh as it is too much bother to cook on holidays when you can go to a restaurant. They are ok but take up a lot of space if you are only going to use it now and then..

Thanks, we are planning on refitting the kitchen and may just dump the oven so space won't be a problem. I'm thinking for £50 give it a go and if it doesn't work out it's not a disaster

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Thanks, we are planning on refitting the kitchen and may just dump the oven so space won't be a problem. I'm thinking for £50 give it a go and if it doesn't work out it's not a disaster

If you dont tend to use an oven much you wont have a problem. It's great for Sunday roast (which is what I use it for) and I have baked bread in it with some success.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007

If you dont tend to use an oven much you wont have a problem. It's great for Sunday roast (which is what I use it for) and I have baked bread in it with some success.

the slow norris

Feb 8, 2005
Suffolk
I've just cooked green couscous and chargrilled broccoli from ottolenghi's plenty, New Year's Eve cooked beef vindaloo, aloo gobi and keralan prawn from rick steins India. Also regularly use recipes from Jamie Oliver's 30 minute meals, Italy and home. In short, all are easy, non fussy and deliver great food. All 3 if these I don't particularly enjoy watching on screen, but their combination of flavours and techniques/ explanations really suit me.

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
yeah go along with you there Rick Stein is head & shoulders above all the current crop

but Keith Floyd was KING

I had the pleasure of meeting Keith Floyd on New Years morning at his pub (Floyds Inn) in Tuckenhay on the Dart Estuary circa 1993. My fiancee/now vicious ex wife) and I travelled up the river in the rain in a rubber dinghy powered by a 25 yr old Seagull outboard motor. Even then I was a fan. Once inside the pub he cadged a Silk Cut and announced to those assembled that he wasn't talking to his partner Shaunagh ( an blond Amazonian looking woman from Dartmouth behind the bar) that he wasn't talking to her because she hadn't given him a bl*wj*b when he'd woken up. By then his Silk Cut had expired and he said'' that was nice, you don't mind if I have another''.
I was flabbergasted and bought another round.
God's honest true story. The ex-wife remarried, lived in Exeter, attacked her new husband with a kitchen knife in the bedroom, they divorced and now we're sharing experiences.
Supporting the Albion gives me welcome respite. The Bournemouth game was a cakewalk compared to the above !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've just cooked green couscous and chargrilled broccoli from ottolenghi's plenty, New Year's Eve cooked beef vindaloo, aloo gobi and keralan prawn from rick steins India. Also regularly use recipes from Jamie Oliver's 30 minute meals, Italy and home. In short, all are easy, non fussy and deliver great food. All 3 if these I don't particularly enjoy watching on screen, but their combination of flavours and techniques/ explanations really suit me.

How did the vindaloo turn out? I swerved Rich Stein in India on the tv as I am not convinced he is very knowledgable on Indian food. It seemed fraudulent. Was I wrong?

the slow norris

Feb 8, 2005
Suffolk
How did the vindaloo turn out? I swerved Rich Stein in India on the tv as I am not convinced he is very knowledgable on Indian food. It seemed fraudulent. Was I wrong?

Yep it turned out very well, but vastly different (dryer, less greasy, more aromatic) to the vindaloo I last had from a curry house. As did the other 2 dishes. I watched a fair bit of the series and it did open my eyes to the variety of ingredients used in Indian food. Looking at the book, it seems stein spent about 6 months in total over there learning about the food. There are tonnes of dishes in the book that I can't wait to try, it's chilli heavy but that suits me nicely.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yep it turned out very well, but vastly different (dryer, less greasy, more aromatic) to the vindaloo I last had from a curry house. As did the other 2 dishes. I watched a fair bit of the series and it did open my eyes to the variety of ingredients used in Indian food. Looking at the book, it seems stein spent about 6 months in total over there learning about the food. There are tonnes of dishes in the book that I can't wait to try, it's chilli heavy but that suits me nicely.

The "chilli heavy" comment appeals. I must admit I really enjoyed the Spanish series he did. Maybe I should give his Indian series a chance.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing

I've made several of his veggie curries from the book and they have been very successful every time - even my meat loving brother, sister and collected partners and kids polished off two i made just after Christmas. I found the tv show really inspiring - he made the whole process seem very straightforward so that even a lumbering oaf like me can succeed.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

I have cooked about a dozen from the book now....but strangely my favourite has been the White Lamb Curry....not a chilli in sight, but flavour in buckets...use good lamb though...ordinarily chilli's are the order of the day for me.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

Yes....I think RS's books are not all that exciting as a rule.....got his French Odyssey and Complete seafood books... both ok but not exciting..... But the India book and TV show convinced me he has a real depth of knowledge....top recipes.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
yeah go along with you there Rick Stein is head & shoulders above all the current crop

but Keith Floyd was KING

Yoh! Loved Keith Floyd. Quick slurp. But I think my fav was the Galloping Gourmet. Any of you old enough to remember him?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here