Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transfers: what do we need?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Admittedly, they didn't present much of a challenge, but Barnes was outstanding as the lone striker vs Blackpool near the end of last season.

Strong with the ball, good in the air, intelligent link-up play and movement... maybe it was a one-off or maybe he kept his head down while he was banned and worked on his all-round game but if he can play like that every week he's a perfectly good backup to Ulloa.

100% agree. In a 4-3-3 the central strikers role is often rather simple. Get in the right positions for the wing-forwards to lay it on a plate for you. I have complete faith that Barnes is excellent in that role. He will also defend from the front which is an added bonus.

ps I REALLY hope this doesn't trigger a tedious Barnes debate

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
100% agree. In a 4-3-3 the central strikers role is often rather simple. Get in the right positions for the wing-forwards to lay it on a plate for you. I have complete faith that Barnes is excellent in that role. He will also defend from the front which is an added bonus.

ps I REALLY hope this doesn't trigger a tedious Barnes debate

Totally correct. Barnes is superb in that role.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Offload Barnes NOW!

Joke - I think he'll have an important role to play.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Barnes towards the end of last season really started to look like a top championship forward. Add to this his versatility and his football brain and we have a player who could have an excellent season.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
People seem to forget that we had the best defensive record in the league last season. Upson, Greer and El Abd would be MORE than sufficient. Would I WANT better? Sure, always. But in terms of needs, those 3 are very good.

A fair point but some of it was down to Gus's system of Bridcutt and Hammond sitting in front of the CB's whilst defending and the 2 wingers supporting the Fullbacks allowing them to squeeze in and have the whole back four playing narrow. Would be hard for any team to score that many against that plus they looked well drilled.

If Oscar does go more attacking as he has stated then our CB's may be a little more exposed and I worry about lack of pace back there even with Upson. Wouldn't mind at least one younger CB with pace being brought in.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Not seen a better lone striker performance at the Amex since.

We only had 2 games after that game!
I know what you meant though. It's all iffs and buts now but with the benefit of hindsight I think we would've been better with Barnes in the 2 play off games.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
We only had 2 games after that game!
I know what you meant though. It's all iffs and buts now but with the benefit of hindsight I think we would've been better with Barnes in the 2 play off games.

If Gus didn't have the balls to play the attacking line up from St Patricks Day in the 2nd leg then he certainly wasn't going to have the balls to drop Ulloa for Barnes in the biggest game of the season.

And in fairness to Gus, I doubt any of us would have done either.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
i think we need Beckham, Owen, Heskey, Phil Neville, Scholes and that should see up to the prem.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
someone we should of gone in for Hornets complete signing of ex-Nottingham Forest midfielder Lewis McGugan
LEWIS McGUGAN has become Watford’s second signing of the summer after sealing a Bosman free transfer move.

The 24-year-old midfielder (pictured above with Lloyd Doyley) has put pen to paper on a three-year deal at Vicarage Road, with the club having the option on an additional fourth year, and he will head out to Italy to join the Hornets’ pre-season training camp.

The gifted playmaker was out of contract at Nottingham Forest and Watford have secured his signature, subject to final medical clearance, despite significant competition from other clubs.

A product of Forest’s youth system, McGugan made his debut in 2006 and went on to play 230 times for the East Midlands side, scoring 44 goals.

With a hard-earned reputation for the spectacular, McGugan will be remembered by Hornets fans for his stunning strike at Vicarage Road during a 1-1 draw with Forest in November 2010 – a trademark 30-yard effort which arrowed into the far top corner.

Watford Head Coach Gianfranco Zola said: “Lewis is a very talented player and an excellent signing for this football club.

“He will give strength to our squad and I’m sure our supporters will be excited to see what he can do in a Watford shirt.”

Return to watfordfc.com later for exclusive reaction from McGugan.

Read more at http://www.watfordfc.com/news/article/130702-mcgugan-signs-890231.aspx#ZUPI0rXvFVoXpl8W.99

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I thought Watford weren't allowed to sign players till the end of August?

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
McGugan is a very talented midfielder. But I would imagine him being very expensive in terms of wages. FFP would make teams hesitant so I can see Watford being frugal in other positions to compensate.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I agree, although for me it's a bit worrying that we didn't turn to the DS in the worst injury crisis. Why didn't we? Are they not good enough at this level?

We had 3 of 4 strikers out (and the 4th in desperate need of a rest), yet still no confidence being shown in Barker/Toby. That's more of a negative for me than a positive.

I'm not sure that's true though. March, oatway, jfc, toby and GB all made the bench at some point last season, if memory serves. Barker was trusted with a few late 20/30min cameos when ulloa was our only available senior striker. He played a part in winning a penalty with a run and disguised throughball iirc. They weren't used as starters because perhaps you're right they're not good enough to warrant that yet - but as cover and for short bursts/sub appearances I'd trust them all to do a capable job without being a liability.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I'm not sure that's true though. March, oatway, jfc, toby and GB all made the bench at some point last season, if memory serves. Barker was trusted with a few late 20/30min cameos when ulloa was our only available senior striker. He played a part in winning a penalty with a run and disguised throughball iirc. They weren't used as starters because perhaps you're right they're not good enough to warrant that yet - but as cover and for short bursts/sub appearances I'd trust them all to do a capable job without being a liability.

Just double checked, JFC and Barker were regulars on the bench but got very very few minutes on the pitch. In 2013 they've probably played about an hour of football between them, if that.

I think we switched our formation from 2 up front (partnering Ulloa) to just one when CMS was injured/Barnes got his suspension. Altering the entire team formation to me is a strong indication that they can't step up when it really matters, because Ulloa is twice as effective with someone else helping him up front. I don't count them as genuine cover if they aren't actually being played when we need people in that position.

JFC last season was exciting to watch, always wanted the ball, and now he seems to have gone backwards.

If FPP is everyone's problem then surely one answer is to have more faith in the youth team?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Surely we need at least 6 or 7 players. Maksimenko is a centre back so whilst he may be cover at centre back, it won't be left back. There are too many variables at the moment with who might leave or rejoin, but clearly we need one or two left backs and most would like Upson back as far as I can tell. That would sort the defence and the forwards are probably ok unless someone moves out. So that leaves midfield. Again, depends who leaves (hopefully Harley) but surely the midfield is going to be where Oscar wields most influence and bring in a couple of his own men. And who's too say he won't bring in some Barca starlet?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Just double checked, JFC and Barker were regulars on the bench but got very very few minutes on the pitch. In 2013 they've probably played about an hour of football between them, if that.

I think we switched our formation from 2 up front (partnering Ulloa) to just one when CMS was injured/Barnes got his suspension. Altering the entire team formation to me is a strong indication that they can't step up when it really matters, because Ulloa is twice as effective with someone else helping him up front. I don't count them as genuine cover if they aren't actually being played when we need people in that position.

JFC last season was exciting to watch, always wanted the ball, and now he seems to have gone backwards.

If FPP is everyone's problem then surely one answer is to have more faith in the youth team?

I suspect most of your post points to why the Dev Squad coach has been sacked!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here