Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transfers: what do we need?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Good post and I respect your opinion, albeit let down at the end by suggesting the overweight, over-rated Yakubu

Er, in 2011/12 he scored 17 goals in a shit Blackburn team, then has bagged 12 in 20 in China. A year and a half ago he scored 2 at Old Trafford. He's only 30, so has loads of experience. His route back to the Prem is via a top Championship club. I like the fit but each to their own.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Looks like QPR might sign Upson

In fairness we could never begin to compete with the money they have :(

No Bridge or Upson from last season's back four then. We're going to have to pull a couple of gems out of a hat to have a strong enough back four.

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
No Bridge or Upson from last season's back four then. We're going to have to pull a couple of gems of a hat to have a strong enough back four.

Yes, without those 2 our defensive record was far from the best in the division, and you could argue we were setup more defensively minded before those 2 arrived to cater for the lower quality at the back; hence scoring less goals as well.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Yes, without those 2 our defensive record was far from the best in the division, and you could argue we were setup more defensively minded before those 2 arrived to cater for the lower quality at the back; hence scoring less goals as well.

That's a theory. No doubt Bridcutt has provided huge protection to our CB's and relying on a Greer/El Abd pairing doesn't fill me with confidence

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
That's a theory. No doubt Bridcutt has provided huge protection to our CB's and relying on a Greer/El Abd pairing doesn't fill me with confidence

No el-abd either at the moment. The squad looking very thin and needs some serious work, hope to see movement soon. Starting 11 is okay but needs everyone fit and that is unlikely. Back four looks a problem area with Bruno, Calderon, Dunk and Greer only at the moment.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
No el-abd either at the moment. The squad looking very thin and needs some serious work, hope to see movement soon. Starting 11 is okay but needs everyone fit and that is unlikely. Back four looks a problem area with Bruno, Calderon, Dunk and Greer only at the moment.

I agree, we do seem to be behind but who knows what's going on behind the scenes? I'd almost rather El Abd signed for someone else, it might at least force our hand, although I suspect it's a high priority anyway

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I agree, we do seem to be behind but who knows what's going on behind the scenes? I'd almost rather El Abd signed for someone else, it might at least force our hand, although I suspect it's a high priority anyway

No doubt lots going on behind the scenes, but I am a little concerned about the apparent lack of progress as it stands. In the back of my mind I wonder if we wont see any movement in until after the appeal from gus is finished, since if it goes through the courts which I suspect it will then gus may claim prejudged since player movements were part of his remit??? I notice most player/team statements on the website are from david burke, I suspect for a similar reason.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
We need a transfer, Am I correct in saying our last transfer in was Dean Hammond?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
No doubt lots going on behind the scenes, but I am a little concerned about the apparent lack of progress as it stands. In the back of my mind I wonder if we wont see any movement in until after the appeal from gus is finished, since if it goes through the courts which I suspect it will then gus may claim prejudged since player movements were part of his remit??? I notice most player/team statements on the website are from david burke, I suspect for a similar reason.

I would think that the appointment of a head coach would give him more of a case for constructive dismissal. I'm sure that there is plenty going on behind the scenes that we won't know about, or even hear rumours of, until a day or 2 before it's confirmed.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
How can this be a sensible way to prepare for a season? Spend 6 weeks with a suspended manager And then potentially the next 2-3 weeks doing nothing re new players or resigning players...? All teams look very active with their transfer business APART from us... It concerns me that we hear Nothing from OG in relation to thoughts and plans and all the time we are meant to happily continue as if this is all NORMAL.. Again reminds me of when Hinshelwood was appointed, didn't get players in and the rest as they say is History...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We must be looking to sign players before they go off to Spain. Not doing so would give them very little time to get used to the style etc, and would put the early season form at risk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here