Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transfers: what do we need?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm surprised we've not had any news on new players yet. I know there's a while before the 1st league match, but it would be nice to get the players in time to play some of the friendlies, and ideally attend the trip to Spain.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
We need:

LB (though this may be Shorey)
CB (maybe Upson?)
CM (especially if Lopez doesn't sign)
Another attacking option (someone with FLAIR!!!)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
At this rate we need to sign 2 a week until the season starts !

Mind you, I think Dobbie, Dave, Orlandi and Hammond came in at the end of August last year, so perhaps we'll have 3 in before Leeds.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I am getting a little concerned at our lack of activity, although I guess we don't need quite as many new players as we did at this time last season.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
These things tend to happen in clusters. The whole market seems quite quiet thus far. A sign of ffp at work perhaps?

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Lots of championship clubs have made signings. Although very few have been for players we would want.
I think our squad size will be reduced this year, we had too many midfielders last year IMO.

Not worried at the moment. Plenty of time, we only need 4 quality players (again IMO). Will only be concerned if we loose at Leeds due to lack of options.

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Leeds have signed Matt Smith, Luke Murphy and Noel Hunt

I knew Smith was leaving his current role, but I didn't think he'd swap fighting Daleks for Leeds.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Difficult to say without seeing what kind of system Oscar will play but I am not surprised we have not been active as it is only right to give the new man a chance to assess the current squad.

That said Upson and Lopez being retained would be an excellent start

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Gus was many things but one of them was a prety decent judge of a player. If he liked the look of Maksimenko - and we're now a year or so on - then I'm content for him to be considered replacement for Painter.

Yes, Shorey in for Bridge. Not as good but not going to give us any problems either.

I'd try and sign Upson for a year, even if it means pay a couple of extra grand a week. I don't think he'll do a job in the Prem and he could start to go off this season anyway. I agree that a decent pacy centre-back is a priority.

Midfield is simple - we need an upgrade for Hammond. Someone who can spray the ball around with a bit of pace and contribute 8 or 9 goals. I'm happy with the rest of the squad in that area. Re-signing Spanish Dave a must.

Upfront concerns me. Ulloa is top drawer but what if he gets injured? We might get lucky if CMS or Hoskins gets fit and starts scoring, but I would have been tempted to sell CMS while he still has value and bring in a Simeon Jackson who will be hungry and confident at this level, having done such a good job in the Championship with Norwich.

I also think now is the time to sell Barnes. Again, he has value, but was very much a Gus man. I worry about his temperament and ability to convert under pressure.

I'd be tempted to go for someone like Yakubu up front. Still only 30, would provide presence and quality, good cover for Ulloa and together they'd batter the opposition centre backs.

Good post and I respect your opinion, albeit let down at the end by suggesting the overweight, over-rated Yakubu

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Leeds have signed Matt Smith, Luke Murphy and Noel Hunt

I knew Smith was leaving his current role, but I didn't think he'd swap fighting Daleks for Leeds.

Would have been disappointed if we'd signed any of these. Mind you, palace shopped at this level last season and it seemed to work for them.....

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm not expecting any transfers for a couple of weeks, the new guys has to assess the players we have and decide what is needed he's not really going to know that until they've played a few friendlies.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I'm not expecting any transfers for a couple of weeks, the new guys has to assess the players we have and decide what is needed he's not really going to know that until they've played a few friendlies.

I think we will have a couple by Monday/tuesday...he needs to move quickly because you can be certain cb situation isn't going to change, and we know we need some more physicality in the midfield....Liam and Will must surely have enquiries pending, OG will know about them, plus after a week he will know broadly who is on his ditch list.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
why are people panicking over signings ?

The new boss has only been in charge a week !

He needs to see what we have first, only then can he start looking.

i would not expect any signings in the next fortnight.

Maybe only the re-signing of Lopez, Upson and Shorey

Certainly no knew players as it were

Its week 1 of pre season ! chill people, we will not be after the same players other teams are :)

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
We might not have as many signings as we expect if his tenure at MTA is anything to go by? I'm sure I read from our Isreali friend that he only added two new players to their squad.

However if as is the line from the club that we've got a list of players we are looking at and was waiting for the new Coach to be on board to get his input, I would have thought that this discussion would have taken place by now OR as has been said, 0G is assessing at the moment before committing to any new players.

I would expect due to FFP a few more Dev players to play a more important role this season. I'm thinking March, JFC, Barker, Agedestien and possibly Richards who had a strong second half of the season by all accounts.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I can't say i feel torn apart with concern over the lack of signings, but the anxiety grows ever so slightly when reading news of other teams in our league doing business. You want new signings to turn up and join in with the full pre-season so they're not late-learners and with squad of individuals falls in love with either each other or what they are all doing together. Hopefully the wheels are turning and we'll pick up some new faces soon as the squad without David, Bridge and Upson on its own seems weakened in some key places.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'd love a bit of Sharp.

We retained Hoskins, so we can't afford another striker. We're unlikely to play with 2 strikers at the same time so we don't need any more.

Had we not bothered keeping Hoskins, I would have gone for Sharp. Clearly a better player and more reliable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here