Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Transfer Deadline Day

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
For me, (Clive), it all points to somebody else coming in - for the 1st team squad.

1. Zeqiri going on loan - surely wouldn't happen without a forward coming in for the 1st team squad?
  2. Sima - if there's nobody in the pipeline for the 1st team, would we be spending £7m to get him in and send him out again (budget from a different pot I suppose - more of an investment, but still if money's tight for a 1st team forward, I could see the justification for borrowing from the 'investment' pot when in dire need*)
  3. Connolly - I reckon he was given assurances that he'll get more game time this season (hence the meltdown when he heard he wasn't starting vs Burnley). Even with him firmly in Potter's plans, would he rely on an as-yet unproven youngster, with no lack of talent, but a few temperament problems to iron out?
  4. Welbeck - no question for me re his quality, but can't be relied upon for 38 games due to persistent injury problems
  5. Maupay's injury. OK, so he's back already, but surely that was enough of a scare to underline the need for more than 3 viable options, when Welbeck is often injured, Connolly is unproven and Maupay was hardly prolific last season.
* this point boils down to the club's assessment of 'dire need'. It would be a false economy to pass up the opportunity to sign someone now for £7m, who might save us spending £30m+ next year (a big 'might' though). If Potter, Ashworth etc really think we have enough with Maupay, Welbeck and Connolly, (plus a greater contribution of goals from midfield?), then they wouldn't want to interrupt the 'investment' plans.

Despite the club comments regarding moving away from bringing in loan players, I actually think this year's situation might warrant a rethink. A decent, experienced player on loan for a year really could fill a worrying gap, whilst Sima and Zeqiri develop on their loans and Connolly has a chance to mature into the player he could be whilst still with us.

There are 38 weeks until the end of the season, so if the only cost is wages, we could get Cavani (apparently on £250k pw) for a cool £9.5m - he's going to be an expensive spare part at Man U with that preening pr|ck Ronaldo back.

I mention Cavani in jest, but there have GOT to be proven strikers out there whose clubs would be keen to get off of their wage bill for a year.

PSG aside, pretty much every club on the continent is skint and many with bloated squads so there must be a deal to be done.

OR, the whole loan theory is MOOT, because there's a permanent deal for a 1st team forward still in the offing!

Plenty of time left - keep the faith! :albion2:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Official Club Statement:' We're Brighton and Hove Albion, we're taking the piss.'

Unless.........

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
For me, (Clive), it all points to somebody else coming in - for the 1st team squad.

1. Zeqiri going on loan - surely wouldn't happen without a forward coming in for the 1st team squad?
  2. Sima - if there's nobody in the pipeline for the 1st team, would we be spending £7m to get him in and send him out again (budget from a different pot I suppose - more of an investment, but still if money's tight for a 1st team forward, I could see the justification for borrowing from the 'investment' pot when in dire need*)
  3. Connolly - I reckon he was given assurances that he'll get more game time this season (hence the meltdown when he heard he wasn't starting vs Burnley). Even with him firmly in Potter's plans, would he rely on an as-yet unproven youngster, with no lack of talent, but a few temperament problems to iron out?
  4. Welbeck - no question for me re his quality, but can't be relied upon for 38 games due to persistent injury problems
  5. Maupay's injury. OK, so he's back already, but surely that was enough of a scare to underline the need for more than 3 viable options, when Welbeck is often injured, Connolly is unproven and Maupay was hardly prolific last season.
* this point boils down to the club's assessment of 'dire need'. It would be a false economy to pass up the opportunity to sign someone now for £7m, who might save us spending £30m+ next year (a big 'might' though). If Potter, Ashworth etc really think we have enough with Maupay, Welbeck and Connolly, (plus a greater contribution of goals from midfield?), then they wouldn't want to interrupt the 'investment' plans.

Despite the club comments regarding moving away from bringing in loan players, I actually think this year's situation might warrant a rethink. A decent, experienced player on loan for a year really could fill a worrying gap, whilst Sima and Zeqiri develop on their loans and Connolly has a chance to mature into the player he could be whilst still with us.

There are 38 weeks until the end of the season, so if the only cost is wages, we could get Cavani (apparently on £250k pw) for a cool £9.5m - he's going to be an expensive spare part at Man U with that preening pr|ck Ronaldo back.

I mention Cavani in jest, but there have GOT to be proven strikers out there whose clubs would be keen to get off of their wage bill for a year.

PSG aside, pretty much every club on the continent is skint and many with bloated squads so there must be a deal to be done.

OR, the whole loan theory is MOOT, because there's a permanent deal for a 1st team forward still in the offing!

Plenty of time left - keep the faith! :albion2:

Yep. 5 hours

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Everton linked with Rondon. The swines. I like him.

Oh agreed. On big wages though, and his powers might have waned since he was in the PL but, finishing aside (the really difficult bit), he was the complete package as a CF. If he goes to them, he's not going to play much though. I suspect Richarlison will have the hissiest of fits if Benitez even contemplates substituting him and, likewise, DCL will want as much playing time as possible.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Agree with last sentence, although you surely mean u23s (Richards has already played, who else do you expect to see?). I'm not entirely convinced about the predecessor. I think our squad was incredibly bloated last season, and had too many players that just weren't up to it. We have adaptable players and formations, so we're pretty well covered. Lose Welbeck and Maupay simultaneously and for a long period, then things might start to get a bit dicey.
I think Bloom/Barber/Ashworth might need to clarify their thoughts on Top Ten Ambition. If Potter achieves that this season, he's even better than I thought he was.

Great post.

My concern as I mentioned to [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] in another post, is whether Potter feels he is adequately supported, should Arsenal come in. Surely, he can’t be happy with the forward options (still hoping though). Alternatively, he may think it is a challenge.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Agree with last sentence, although you surely mean u23s (Richards has already played, who else do you expect to see?). I'm not entirely convinced about the predecessor. I think our squad was incredibly bloated last season, and had too many players that just weren't up to it. We have adaptable players and formations, so we're pretty well covered. Lose Welbeck and Maupay simultaneously and for a long period, then things might start to get a bit dicey.
I think Bloom/Barber/Ashworth might need to clarify their thoughts on Top Ten Ambition. If Potter achieves that this season, he's even better than I thought he was.

With the exception of Gary Dicker are there any U23s who are older than 21?
I didn't think there were. I was purely relating to players that could be drafted into the squad that wouldn't actually take up a place.

I assume that Roberts and Richards have been ear-marked for minutes this season.
My worry is that injuries and suspensions may see us very short of experienced players and we will end up having to use the U23 squad, when they simply aren't ready.

Last edited:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Seemingly no hope on Nuñez, surely something would've leaked by now if there was progress. Always the chance that someone will become available late on though...?

Yeah, probably not.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
We are GOING to sign a striker.

The question is, will it be Eduoard or Nunez?

...or both

Do you really believe that? If so, you've got a lot more faith in our club than I have.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
so how long before Naylor gives us 'the lights are off and everyone has left the building' tweet?

When he's a got an accompanying quote from GP about how pleased he is with this transfer window's business, and how he's "happy with the players we already have" :yawn:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
WaterloggedSpiritedIndianspinyloach-max-1mb.gif

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. If the window ends and there are no more INs I think we have what we need to survive.
2. However, this season should have been more than about survival.
3. We have been lucky that Bissouma has not left, but our failure to bring in a decent striker more or less guarantees he'll be off at the end of this season.
4. We have 3 strikers - Maupay, Welbeck, Connolly. They scored a combined 16 goals last season, so a similar return this season will mean we'll need 25 goals from elsewhere to keep our heads above water, and 35 from elsewhere if we are to achieve the Chairman's stated aim of a Top 10 finish.
5. Letting Zeqiri and Andone both go out on loan before landing a replacement striker was a HUGE mistake.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Great post.

My concern as I mentioned to [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] in another post, is whether Potter feels he is adequately supported, should Arsenal come in. Surely, he can’t be happy with the forward options (still hoping though). Alternatively, he may think it is a challenge.

It is a valid concern, and I think he'll view it as a challenge. Not half as much as a challenge as taking Arsenal on halfway through a season. I think Potter values loyalty, and would view an Arsenal offer at this stage with scepticism. Early on after the season ends, it might be a different story.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Now all we need is for Bissouma to go too. That'll cap off a great day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here