Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If Boris is sanctioned by the Committee, and it appears that is almost inevitable, it will then be down to the Tory MPs to decide his punishment. (Labour MPs will want the most telling punishment but the Tories still have such a huge majority in the Commons).
I'm not sure about this; Labour would love Johnson to be hanging around, associated with the Tories until the election. I'm sure he'll be found guilty but maybe the most condign punishment would be for him to be the constant butt of derision for the next 20 months.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Starmer MUST fix this disparity in society where someone with Sunak's wealth pays such a pitifully low rate of tax.

A decent starting point (just a starting point, mind) would be having Capital Gains tax work in the same way as Income tax does. Could even use exactly the same thresholds to keep it simple: first £X tax free, then follow the same trajectory of increases. Such a system would likely reduce the tax burden slightly on the investment "dabblers" and "accidental investors" (I've been there) while increasing it significantly for those who can afford to pay more into the system (such as those like Sunak whose wealth predominantly comes from capital gains rather than salary).

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
A decent starting point (just a starting point, mind) would be having Capital Gains tax work in the same way as Income tax does. Could even use exactly the same thresholds to keep it simple: first £X tax free, then follow the same trajectory of increases. Such a system would likely reduce the tax burden slightly on the investment "dabblers" and "accidental investors" (I've been there) while increasing it significantly for those who can afford to pay more into the system (such as those like Sunak whose wealth predominantly comes from capital gains rather than salary).
I'd be stunned if Starmer does this. Delighted but stunned.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If Boris is sanctioned by the Committee, and it appears that is almost inevitable, it will then be down to the Tory MPs to decide his punishment. (Labour MPs will want the most telling punishment but the Tories still have such a huge majority in the Commons).

Isn't it likely that the Tories will vote with Boris as they will not want him to be standing in a by-election (which would almost certainly happen if he got suspended for more than 10 days).

Of course, most people will be asking how the f*ck the Tories haven't kicked him out of the party already.
For an alternative viewpoint from inside Torydom:

Remember, they're remarkably adept at survival, and might deem ditching Johnson as a step towards that.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Off to the Lords? - surprised he isn’t there already- possibly in his own mind he feels he’s entitled to something higher than a Lordship!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
To me, the staff morale excuse is the lowest excuse of them all.
As we have read, people committed suicide during lockdown through lack of contact, people died alone, families couldn't hold full funeral services and a woman was arrested for removing her own mother from a care home because they were both suffering from loneliness. (she was de-arrested later)

Morale, my foot!

One of the many things that irks me about the “it was absolutely essential to thank my hard working staff”
Is that no matter how he tries to argue it’s essential, the law at the time CATEGORICALLY stated it was not essential and he should have been punished for such behaviour every turn he did it.

We would have been.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
One of the many things that irks me about the “it was absolutely essential to thank my hard working staff”
Is that no matter how he tries to argue it’s essential, the law at the time CATEGORICALLY stated it was not essential and he should have been punished for such behaviour every turn he did it.

We would have been.
Yes - along with the 'customary to say farewell to people in this country with a toast' excuse. Bollocks to that - wasn't the whole point of lockdown that 'customary' behaviours were suspended? It's 'customary for me to go to the pub on a Friday night' - well, that custom was put on hold for the good of us all.

Nor has it really been made clear why everyone at No 10 had to carry on being in No 10 - many of the rest of us continued to lead busy working lives away from our old/usual place of work. Especially easy I would have thought for those whose jobs is essentially 'chat'.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Off to the Lords? - surprised he isn’t there already- possibly in his own mind he feels he’s entitled to something higher than a Lordship!
He thinks he’s King of the world.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yes - along with the 'customary to say farewell to people in this country with a toast' excuse. Bollocks to that - wasn't the whole point of lockdown that 'customary' behaviours were suspended? It's 'customary for me to go to the pub on a Friday night' - well, that custom was put on hold for the good of us all.

Nor has it really been made clear why everyone at No 10 had to carry on being in No 10 - many of the rest of us continued to lead busy working lives away from our old/usual place of work. Especially easy I would have thought for those whose jobs is essentially 'chat'.
Quite. It’s customary for family to attend the funerals of loved ones. I and many, many others could not do so.

But raising a glass to some anonymous suit who fetched the booze in a suitcase to say thank you for their incredibly hard work setting out the trestle tables and bottles of champagne, now that is essential.

Pop them all in the bin.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
It is simply impossible for both of these statements to be true, isn’t it?

1) he did not intentionally mislead Parliament because he did not understand the guidance he was telling everyone else about
2) he is an intelligent man who is capable of making big decisions to lead the country.

If he is so thick that he did not know that guidance was being broken I would not let him loose on a paper round, let alone give him the nuclear codes. Ffs.

It might be the worst thing for the tory party if he did get through this because he will hang around looking for his next shot at power. The tiny rebellion yesterday from the boris fan maniacs on the n.Ireland deal is surely going to empower sunak to take him and the rest of that mob on. Dorries, Patel, JRM, Truss, gullis etc.
There is a '3'. I would like to think the committee will have no problem coming to the conclusion that:
  1. He was taking the piss when PM in lockdown and didn't give a fukk.
  2. He knew full well he was taking the piss and acting as if there were no rules.
  3. He lied repeatedly to the house about this (because that's normal for him - rules don't apply to him and its a bit of a laugh yeah).
  4. He lied throughout his evidence yesterday (see above).
  5. He's a massive dangerous dishonest kunnt.
You mention Gullis. The man take over from Johnson. If the tories had anything about them, they'd find a way to get of that oddball.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Quite. It’s customary for family to attend the funerals of loved ones. I and many, many others could not do so.

But raising a glass to some anonymous suit who fetched the booze in a suitcase to say thank you for their incredibly hard work setting out the trestle tables and bottles of champagne, now that is essential.

Pop them all in the bin.

In a society that held its leaders accountable all the cabinet ministers at those parties would be persona no Grata, possibly the MPs too.

How they have engineered their free ride on this matter is incredible to me. They held those parties feeling untouchable, they have largely been proven right.

Where is the mechanism to sack a dishonest and shameful government or call an election to decide their fate.

The head of state is a toothless tiger.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
In a society that held its leaders accountable all the cabinet ministers at those parties would be persona no Grata, possibly the MPs too.

How they have engineered their free ride on this matter is incredible to me. They held those parties feeling untouchable, they have largely been proven right.

Where is the mechanism to sack a dishonest and shameful government or call an election to decide their fate.

The head of state is a toothless tiger.
How very dare you come on here questioning our venerable democracy, our unwritten constitution, and our impeccable public servants at the helm, all of them the envy of the world#. You critical race theory, 15-minute-city-advocating, tofu-eating wokerati you.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
How very dare you come on here questioning our venerable democracy, our unwritten constitution, and our impeccable public servants at the helm, all of them the envy of the world#. You critical race theory, 15-minute-city-advocating, tofu-eating wokerati you.
You forgot traitor to the motherland 🤣

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
This must be contempt of Parliament, surely?

Contempt of the Privileges comittee, to be fair it is a bit one sided, with four of the seven being Tories. I don't see "serious reputational consequences" for Johnson, if found guilty, it is already in the gutter.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Contempt of the Privileges comittee, to be fair it is a bit one sided, with four of the seven being Tories. I don't see "serious reputational consequences" for Johnson, if found guilty, it is already in the gutter.
I thought Mogg's pathetic remark about referring to the committee as marsupials was bad enough, but this is contempt of parliament from the gobshite on the Murdoch channel.

Absolutely outrageous, immediate suspension for Norries required...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here