Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
13 Ghurkas have been removed and put in detention near Gatwick to be deported, some of whom had already been granted leave to stay.
The Home Office isn’t just making mistakes, it’s almost malicious.

Some better news, but note the word paused.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The Tory government's treatment of the Gurkhas is nothing short of shameful. They should all be <whatever the current politically correct equivalent of "ploughed into a ditch" is>

Voted out at the next election, which is the only feasible and sensible way of getting rid of a toxic government.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The Tory government's treatment of the Gurkhas is nothing short of shameful. They should all be <whatever the current politically correct equivalent of "ploughed into a ditch" is>

I seem to recall in the dying embers of the last Labour government they tried to pick on the Gurkhas as part of a "look tough on the foreigners" initiative and it blew up in their faces, be ironic if the exact same thing ended up happening to this lot too.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I wonder what the “Gurkha tactic” is all about.
Is it a political party’s barometer?

“what can we get away with”?

Political party’s cannot be this deliberately blind to the public’s support for Gurkhas.

There’s something going on there. I can’t figure out what it is but there’s more than meets the eye , I reckon.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I seem to recall in the dying embers of the last Labour government they tried to pick on the Gurkhas as part of a "look tough on the foreigners" initiative and it blew up in their faces, be ironic if the exact same thing ended up happening to this lot too.
If there is ever a group its unwise to pick on, its the Gurkhas. Cue Joanna Lumley....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If there is ever a group its unwise to pick on, its the Gurkhas. Cue Joanna Lumley....
I tagged her yesterday along with Tom Tuguenhat (sp) as the deportation was meant to happen today. Thankfully, some of the press, and maybe the previously mentioned, jumped on the Home Office, to pause it.
Now, to get the orders rescinded.

Pass me the pitchfork.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Martin Kettle says that contemporary Conservatives are no longer the stupid party, which was how John Stuart Mill described them. But Mill clarified his claim further: “I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think that any gentleman will deny it.” I think that Mill’s conclusion still stands.
Mark Hebert
Needingworth, Cambridgeshire

I always thought it appropriate that an anagram of Nigel Lawson is “we all sign on”.
Greg Quiery
Liverpool

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Controversial?

Attachments

• 6bb3857d-b02c-478a-b093-dc87ba846da3.jpg
    6bb3857d-b02c-478a-b093-dc87ba846da3.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 54

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Racist councillor has to resign. He is also a magistrate.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Voted out at the next election, which is the only feasible and sensible way of getting rid of a toxic government.
I worry that Starmer (presumably after advice was offered) has made a mistake by cranking up the personal attacks on Sunak. By attacking a 4 month old PM for more than a decade's worth of (and I can't quite get my head around this) something to do with not locking up paedophiles, seems very nuanced. Only the dimmest of floating voter, the sort to daub threats on a paediatrician's house, are likely to be triggered here. And only if they can get their head around the accusation.

I heard a labour MP defend this on R5 this morning. A plucky display. But it smacked of a (semi-successful) argument in a debating society contest at a mid ranking university (better than East Anglia, not as prestigious as QMUL) where she won on points. Maybe. The tory spokesman quite rightly argued that by the same logic, a former DPP (*cough* Kier Starmer *cough*) supports paedophiles by failing to (something something something) Jimmy Savile.

I don't really see the value of nuanced posturing dog attacks, unless the trope already resonates, and the gambit firms up support. I think Sunak is a bit of a suit, but he obviously works hard and smart (even if his getting rich was simply the product of successfully wooing a rich bird - I couldn't do that - not that I'd want to, but anyway...) so to accuse him of being either lazy and useless, or pro-paedophile, strikes me as being a bit dim. There are easier ways' of showing someone is lazy and useless.

Never plan an ad campaign during a massive liquid lunch with fellow members of an opinion bubble. (I think there was a thread on NSC on this, years ago).

Is Starmer going to crush all my hopes and dreams? Hmmmmm.....

Hopefully someone will be along soon to explain how I have made a mistake....

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Racist councillor has to resign. He is also a magistrate.

'Alleged to have said'

Jesus wept.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I worry that Starmer (presumably after advice was offered) has made a mistake by cranking up the personal attacks on Sunak. By attacking a 4 month old PM for more than a decade's worth of (and I can't quite get my head around this) something to do with not locking up paedophiles, seems very nuanced. Only the dimmest of floating voter, the sort to daub threats on a paediatrician's house, are likely to be triggered here. And only if they can get their head around the accusation.

I heard a labour MP defend this on R5 this morning. A plucky display. But it smacked of a (semi-successful) argument in a debating society contest at a mid ranking university (better than East Anglia, not as prestigious as QMUL) where she won on points. Maybe. The tory spokesman quite rightly argued that by the same logic, a former DPP (*cough* Kier Starmer *cough*) supports paedophiles by failing to (something something something) Jimmy Savile.

I don't really see the value of nuanced posturing dog attacks, unless the trope already resonates, and the gambit firms up support. I think Sunak is a bit of a suit, but he obviously works hard and smart (even if his getting rich was simply the product of successfully wooing a rich bird - I couldn't do that - not that I'd want to, but anyway...) so to accuse him of being either lazy and useless, or pro-paedophile, strikes me as being a bit dim. There are easier ways' of showing someone is lazy and useless.

Never plan an ad campaign during a massive liquid lunch with fellow members of an opinion bubble. (I think there was a thread on NSC on this, years ago).

Is Starmer going to crush all my hopes and dreams? Hmmmmm.....

Hopefully someone will be along soon to explain how I have made a mistake....
Listening to Alastair Campbell on his podcast, he said before the advert nobody was listening to Labour on their law and order policies, now they are. It’s a crude way of getting attention to talk about what you want to, but it seems to have worked in that regard.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Listening to Alastair Campbell on his podcast, he said before the advert nobody was listening to Labour on their law and order policies, now they are. It’s a crude way of getting attention to talk about what you want to, but it seems to have worked in that regard.
I hope it doesn’t backfire as I’m not comfortable with it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I feel that way too. Let's hope Labour can control their urges and not to become all Tory like.
So much low hanging fruit to attack the Tories, no need to head to the gutter

NHS on the brink, broken economy, spiralling debt, cronyism etc etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here