Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think Labour HAVE to attack Sunak personally, otherwise there is a danger some voters will conclude Rishi is a lot better and more stable than Boris / Liz Truss / Theresa May and deserves another 4 years to sort out their mess.
Yes but make sure it's Sunak's bollocks you're kicking.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Perhaps because Sunak doesn't want to prosecute the abusers?

*runs away laughing and admires lit touchpaper from a distance*
No smoke without fire ???

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Then attack the actual problems with him, not the old “paedo” shit. It’s lowest common denominator.

Funnily enough, I was all in for Starmer prior to this, but after personally defending this campaign I’m having my first doubts.

All he has to do is be quiet and play a solid, safe election campaign closer to the election.
And I think a lot of people who are on the fence or teetering over the edge will be concerned with this extremely low blow. So many other legitimate areas to attack where people want change.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The actual interview. He was given several chances to declare his interests, and bottled it.
There are only six child care agencies getting this extra bonus.

I suspect these were exactly the kind of 'skills' that persuaded Johnson to think he was a great prospect when he appointed him to the second most powerful post in his Brexit cabal Government. An absolutely meteoric rise for Rishi, one of the quickest in British political history, less than 5 years after he entered parliament as a new MP ???

Maybe I should be clear that Johnson's ideas of the skills required for high office may be very different to anyone who has any sort of moral compass whatsoever :shrug:

I think the proper conservative party are still a long way from getting their party back :(

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
And I think a lot of people who are on the fence or teetering over the edge will be concerned with this extremely low blow. So many other legitimate areas to attack where people want change.
If you’re “on the fence” or “teetering” after three Prime Ministers, countless Chancellors, a PM with fixed penalty notices, Brexit chaos, 10% inflation, 5% mortgage rates, dog whistle racism, two failed and possibly illegal immigration policies and more sleaze scandals than a badly run bordello then I suspect you’d only actually vote Labour with a gun to your head

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If you’re “on the fence” or “teetering” after three Prime Ministers, countless Chancellors, a PM with fixed penalty notices, Brexit chaos, 10% inflation, 5% mortgage rates, dog whistle racism, two failed and possibly illegal immigration policies and more sleaze scandals than a badly run bordello then I suspect you’d only actually vote Labour with a gun to your head
Nice, comical and accurate.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Yeah, pointing out fallibility of the opposition isn’t going to go down well here, but we need a Labour government. My concern is looking at what the swing voters will do. Believe it or not there are a lot of people in the middle who will actually vote for what is best for them, whether it’s either main party.

Not a great idea to focus on the opposition right now, wait for the next inevitable f*** up from the incompetent Tories then attack.

It’s just a bit disappointing, but hopefully a one off from Labour.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yeah, pointing out fallibility of the opposition isn’t going to go down well here, but we need a Labour government. My concern is looking at what the swing voters will do. Believe it or not there are a lot of people in the middle who will actually vote for what is best for them, whether it’s either main party.

Not a great idea to focus on the opposition right now, wait for the next inevitable f*** up from the incompetent Tories then attack.

Agree.

First rule of marketing; never mention the competition. Just don’t even give any of your air-time over to their name. Tell us what you can do, not what the other guys can’t do.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Oh dear, a Labour vote is wasted where I live. Please don’t bring your gun.

Seriously, vote tactically to remove the Tory, which may be Labour, Lib Dem or Green.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

Indeed.

They should be disappointed with that one.

Just some PR moron trying something out ... I hope.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Usher them politely off the end of a pier.

I'm sure an awful lot wrong has been done in this case technically (*), but may open up the questions whether his wider family business interests are a conflict of interest.

(*) You see he has registered this one, but they haven't just released the register 🙄

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Conservatives who want to railroad through measures to curb small boat crossings by pulling the UK out of the European convention on human rights (EHRC) could make a “tactical retreat” and instead lobby for a commitment in the party’s next manifesto.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013

Bank of England expected to raise rates in May​

The odds of the Bank of England raising interest rates again next month have jumped.

The money markets indicate there is a 97% chance that the BoE lifts Bank Rate by a quarter of one percentage point to 4.5% in May – up from an 82% chance yesterday.

The markest also imply there’s a good chance that rates will hit 5% by the autumn.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Rishi made a big old hoo ha about halving inflation this year. The general view at the time was this was a simple pledge to make as market factors would take care of inflation without any need for government input. Inflation is now showing itself to be a lot more determined to stick around than previously imagined.

So Rishi thought he could acquire brownie points with the electorate by pledging something that was widely expected to happen but now he's looking at being judged as a failure against it.

It would be quite funny except for the fact the laugh is coming at the expense of the very poorest in society who are taking an absolute kicking.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Rishi made a big old hoo ha about halving inflation this year. The general view at the time was this was a simple pledge to make as market factors would take care of inflation without any need for government input. Inflation is now showing itself to be a lot more determined to stick around than previously imagined.

So Rishi thought he could acquire brownie points with the electorate by pledging something that was widely expected to happen but now he's looking at being judged as a failure against it.

It would be quite funny except for the fact the laugh is coming at the expense of the very poorest in society who are taking an absolute kicking.
Yes, but that inflation is being caused by workers' wage demands, particularly that greedy lot in the public sector :dunce:
Official bodies (ONS?, BoE?) latest predictions are that inflation will fall to c3% by the year end. Mind you, the general view from economists was that inflation would fall below 10% this month. We'll see.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Yes, but that inflation is being caused by workers' wage demands, particularly that greedy lot in the public sector :dunce:
Official bodies (ONS?, BoE?) latest predictions are that inflation will fall to c3% by the year end. Mind you, the general view from economists was that inflation would fall below 10% this month. We'll see.
It's not looking like the slam dunk it appeared when the pledge was made.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here