Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory law breakers

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Whoever would have thought a Tory Government led by Boris Johnson would be a disaster ???

Although I did, I also think that any Government led by Corbyn would be as bad if not worse.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Proves 100% why we need an elected Head of State rather than a constitutional monarch who has to agree with whatever the Prime Minister wants. Checks and balances and all that.

Good news is: at least that debate is over!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
And just read the Brexit Party member responses in the thread under that tweet ..... Jeez, what a bunch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farage is a canny ****** you've got to say. He knows now his project is done for without Boris or some other ERG nutter at no 10. He needs to set up an avenue for Boris to throw his chief adviser under the bus and try to carry on as if nothing's happened.

Farage also calculates by making this comment immediately after the judgement, he looks like the one setting the weather.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Predictions for front page of the Daily Mail. Anyone???

"The Supreme Court has spoken. The law has been broken. Corbyn MUST be punished!"

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1176437581422256128[/tweet]

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Lots of much raking about the judges involved maybe?

I think the fact that the judgement was unanimous by all eleven judges is significant, and makes the inevitable muck-raking less convincing. They're not all liberal Europhiles by any stretch of the imagination.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
For that to happen a Vote of No Confidence would have to pass and then the Lib Dems and SNP would have to support Corbyn as Prime Minister which they appear reluctant to do even if it's only a temporary measure to extend Art 50 and call a referendum.

It wouldn't amaze me if in the light of what we've seen today, the Libs, SNP, Labour and a few moderate tories do a back room deal on this. It would make Corbyn PM, but on a VERY limited and specific basis.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The most powerful thing Corbyn could do to improve his standing with the UK electorate is to leave his own party's conference and turn up tomorrow in Parliament. After this decision the country needs to see leadership.

Absolutely - with Johnson’s empty chair opposite. Would be very powerful.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Absolutely - with Johnson’s empty chair opposite. Would be very powerful.

You can have PMQ without the PM being there: David Liddington frequently stood in for Theresa May. I'm not sure who'd stand in if Johnson wasn't there though

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
chick.jpg

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
You can have PMQ without the PM being there: David Liddington frequently stood in for Theresa May. I'm not sure who'd stand in if Johnson wasn't there though

There won't be PMQ's. The PM gets 3 days notice of the questions

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think the fact that the judgement was unanimous by all eleven judges is significant, and makes the inevitable muck-raking less convincing. They're not all liberal Europhiles by any stretch of the imagination.

They may not all be liberal Europhiles, but they will be decreed 'Enemies of the People'. Because some will imbibe any old sh!t.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
This was the only decision that could be taken by the court. If the executive can suspend parliament for political reasons, then parliament is clearly not sovereign. If they can allow it for a few weeks, then they could allow it for a few years.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Please let it be Rees-Mogg, or Marc Francois

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Parliament will resume tomorrow at 11:30. No PMQ's though according to speaker.

Anyone who is linking this decision to Brexit is mistaken. This linking by certain people and no doubt certain papers is precisely the reason why we cannot have the people making the decision. This is now parliament's chance to finally come to a decision re Brexit and the future of this country. They need to start tomorrow and not rise until they have decided. This is a 'national crisis' apparently, so fix it. No more pontificating, party politicking or abdicating responsibility to the people, they must do what they are paid to do and make a decision one way or another. Now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1176450330751619072[/tweet]

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Wildly unpredictable times. In the next week or so I'll guess we'll see ....

Johnson be massively bumbling and apologetic, will sack Cummins and try to carry on. Most likely he'll try to say he'll deliver a brexit deal and resign straight after
He'll have his tabloid attack dogs downplaying the outcome and suggesting remain conspiracies
He'll somehow have to navigate his way through next week's conference. This will be the usual shower of strongman talk on brexit and jockeying for the upcoming top job and scaremongering about Corbyn.

Oh and every book ever written on constitutional law is now out of date.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here