Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Tony is going to have to put together a £0.25 billion++ team of replacements"

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The biggest concern i have is that everyone we bring in from Ireland and South America that turns out to be a Moises or an Evan attracts the big six , who are starting to wait for us to identify a good prospect and beat us to the punch at the last moment . If these youngsters see us as a stepping stone to the top six that is one thing , but we will not attract any established players if they think all we want to achieve is treading water . There has to come a point where we are making a regular push for a European slot , if we don`t show we believe in ourselves to achieve that , why should they .
That argument implies they choose us over the big six. They don’t. We are a stepping stone. Simple as that.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
That's the part that really intrigues me - the club have built their reputation on securing and developing the hidden gems from untapped markets, less so going out and buying more established names, which may a necessary requirement this summer to fill any Mac Allister/Caicedo/Mitoma shaped holes. You'd have thought our position in the league and huge increase in international exposure owing to the exploits of some of the aforementioned 3 will certainly help us to an extent, it's just the wage structure that's likely to remain a stumbling block when operating near the more "competitive" end of the market.

Trust the club implictly with whatever they choose to do, but it really will be fascinating to see how they approach it.
Mitoma is he the glue that’s sticking it all together? RDZ hasn’t won a game without him in the side, when he’s off his game we revert back to plenty of the ball can’t score for shite.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
That argument implies they choose us over the big six. They don’t. We are a stepping stone. Simple as that.
We are a stepping stone to large wages but one that will allow young talent to develop and fast track them to the next step. We already have players choosing us over top 6 sides at the start of their careers and very few clubs willing to play 18/19 year olds is a benefit to our recruitment.

Lower divisions are full of premier League loans, many who never get to play for their parent club. Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd et al have massive academies but very few chances for players to breakthrough. We offer a stepping stone and benefit from the financial gains by taking a chance on such players, evidenced by our squad loaded with U25's & U21's.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Yes, I wasn’t clear. I meant any player is going to see us as a stepping stone. We are also not going to be in the market for established players. They are too expensive and it isn’t the plan.
@Reddleman post #7 is worth a close look , building a team of cheap young talent from abroad and our Academy makes great sense both , from a point of pride and of course to achieve self sustainability , but we need those added players . Bissouma ,Cucurella , Webster , Estupinan , Maupay , Mwepu and Trossard all cost £15-20m each , yes it`s great to sell on for a huge profit but a steady input of players like these are needed to build the spine of the team until the youngsters come through .

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
@Reddleman post #7 is worth a close look , building a team of cheap young talent from abroad and our Academy makes great sense both , from a point of pride and of course to achieve self sustainability , but we need those added players . Bissouma ,Cucurella , Webster , Estupinan , Maupay , Mwepu and Trossard all cost £15-20m each , yes it`s great to sell on for a huge profit but a steady input of players like these are needed to build the spine of the team until the youngsters come through .
So we are already buying those players then. I never said we shouldn’t. What do you want to happen that isn’t already happening ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here