Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Tony is going to have to put together a £0.25 billion++ team of replacements"

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The biggest concern i have is that everyone we bring in from Ireland and South America that turns out to be a Moises or an Evan attracts the big six , who are starting to wait for us to identify a good prospect and beat us to the punch at the last moment . If these youngsters see us as a stepping stone to the top six that is one thing , but we will not attract any established players if they think all we want to achieve is treading water . There has to come a point where we are making a regular push for a European slot , if we don`t show we believe in ourselves to achieve that , why should they .
Definitely a risk…also, we’re increasingly being copied so the competition for spotting these youngsters with potential is getting much more difficult. We do have the academy as well though, so can expect more of our home-grown produce to emerge.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We WILL start going backwards at some stage, which it’s why it’s best to just enjoy the good times whilst we have them
Nothing to do with you although I can’t stand that phrase it makes sound like some tinpot outfit who don’t really deserve to be in the PL.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
We won't sign players on big transfers because the free reflects the demand for the player - and that demand drives up their wages. That's our Achilles heel. I think we would pay £30m for a player but not £30m-player wages.

And when you guess are listing the income on player sales, don't disregard what we have spent already. These youngsters don't arrive for free. And the scouting network - the one you all rave about - must cost a small fortune to maintain.
That's the part that really intrigues me - the club have built their reputation on securing and developing the hidden gems from untapped markets, less so going out and buying more established names, which may a necessary requirement this summer to fill any Mac Allister/Caicedo/Mitoma shaped holes. You'd have thought our position in the league and huge increase in international exposure owing to the exploits of some of the aforementioned 3 will certainly help us to an extent, it's just the wage structure that's likely to remain a stumbling block when operating near the more "competitive" end of the market.

Trust the club implictly with whatever they choose to do, but it really will be fascinating to see how they approach it.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Kevin Hart Fight GIF by ABC Network

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Well, it costs a lot to maintain a Premier League team and up until recently we weren't getting much from player transfers. We run at a loss generally.

Then there was a small matter of a global pandemic...

Who were the hundreds of millions in player transfers ?

Cucurella £62m
White £50m
Bissouma £30m
Trossard £27m
Burn £13m

A few bits and bobs elsewhere.

Taking the accepted estimates Albion made a Premier League loss in the transfer market of £180m+ before Covid.
Maupay -£15m
Ostigard -£10m
Knockaert - £10m
Potter and staff - £20m
Other fringe players - Conservative estimate £15m in total

When you are your list and mine that’s more than £250m.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Maupay -£15m
Ostigard -£10m
Knockaert - £10m
Potter and staff - £20m
Other fringe players - Conservative estimate £15m in total

When you are your list and mine that’s more than £250m.
Club spent £180m ish in its first three seasons though.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Probably works out at a max of £4m a season. It is strange why we do it I would be happy to pay £3 each way on the PR bus or train wouldn’t bother me at all.
The money is not a problem for me either, but imagine tens of thousands having to funnel through the ticket turnstiles at Brighton and Falmer stations before and after the game.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Club spent £180m ish in its first three seasons though.
I think the club has been good at purchasing players and I’m not questioning that, my question was to the poster who said we were still making losses and I questioned that based on the volume of recent sales.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think the club has been good at purchasing players and I’m not questioning that, my question was to the poster who said we were still making losses and I questioned that based on the volume of recent sales.
The transfers may have balanced out but, especially with Covid, the club would doubtless have been hit in other areas.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Yes, because the worlds a perfect place and everything in is plentiful and available whenever you want or need it. Just like produce at the mo :nono: :ffsparr:
The analogy obviously falls away pretty quick. A literal conveyor belt with have cheap, standard parts that can easily procured. They are identical to the parts broken / lost. Unless we've developed a cloning machine / robots, I don't think we can achieve the same consistency.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The analogy obviously falls away pretty quick. A literal conveyor belt with have cheap, standard parts that can easily procured. They are identical to the parts broken / lost. Unless we've developed a cloning machine / robots, I don't think we can achieve the same consistency.
Put another way, nothing lasts for ever so bollocks to any analogies really, just enjoy it whilst it lasts is the key message in all this I think. :)

Reactions: SAC

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I find that depressing really. All that money to reach the “promised land” and still no profit. Hope the tide turns soon.
Note that only goes up to 21, when CV/no crowds were prominent, and that was before the transfer fees started coming in. White went for £50m in the summer of 21 (not sure if that's accounted for in there). Since then, we've accrued large sums for Potter et al, Burn, Cucurella, Bissouma, Maupay, Ostigard and Trossard, among others. I know there have been outgoings on transfer fees -- and am pretty certain that the first team squad wages will have grown in the interim, and it's always worth bearing in mind the size of our scouting network (300 last time I heard) and what that costs -- but those outgoings are dwarfed by the fees accrued. Pretty sure we'll get big sums this summer too (definitely Caicedo, almost certainly Ali Mac).
In short, the tide has already turned in all probability -- although we'll have to await confirmation of that.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The money is not a problem for me either, but imagine tens of thousands having to funnel through the ticket turnstiles at Brighton and Falmer stations before and after the game.
Imagine a card reader being used on each P&R bus for every passenger :down:

Reddleman

May 17, 2017

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
He will when he eventually sells the club. He bought it probably for buttons compared to what a top half Pl team with outstanding facilities is worth now. He will make back everything he loaned and I am sure an absolute fortune more.
He won't because he won't sell and I'm still stunned that there are supporters who don't understand his motivation.

Obviously everyone is now looking at what we do and are trying to focus on the same markets making it harder for us. But, on the positive side, I have seen it reported that we are seen as one of, if not the best team in the world for young up and coming players, not needing to sell ourselves to them and that we are first choice to young prospects from all over.

So maybe next time we will be the club that the next Van Dijk, Darwin Nunez etc chooses rather than Celtic or Benfica and we'll keep them for a few years :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here