Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Tony is going to have to put together a £0.25 billion++ team of replacements"

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute
This title is a comment from the Solly March thread earlier.

Isn't it the point about our club's brilliant, league-best model, that we have developed a conveyor belt of talent? There's no need for "Tony...to put together a £0.25 billion++ team of replacements" as the replacements are already in the pipeline.

It's called succession planning and I have a strong feeling that we are amongst the best in the country at doing it.

Proof of this could be how little we have been hurt by the departures of White, Bissouma, Cucurella, Trossard etc, perhaps?

What do I know, but that's my take on it. The £250m is not a windfall but a massive compliment to the way the club is run, Shirley?

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
that's the idea I think. but there's always going to be a drop off in quality when you lose a developed player and bring in a youngster. of course, it might be the case that what happened with caicedo happens again, and they step in seamlessly, but that's not going to happen all the time, and in any case, caicedo came through before we sold biss, easing the transition.

it's fine for us to go back to square one every time we sell a player if the aim is just to stay up and finishing 12th to 9th is a bonus, and we are sure we have good conveyor belt, which we do. if we want to be competitive, amongst the 'best of the rest', something that may be required to keep hold of RDZ, then these youngsters will have to be supplemented with more established quality most likely from Europe. that is the decision the club will have to make this summer, as we aren't ever going to be in a better position to attract better players

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Think we'll easily see record spending from Brighton this summer, maybe close to £100m, but it will still be a lot less than the income from sales.
I suspect we'll also spend a lot in the summer (but won't take a punt on the figure) and if you're correct that we'll accrue more from sales, we ought to be looking to bring those players in early in the window -- in part to bed those players in, in part because if you receive a massive fee for one player then the club you're buying from will inflate the price of your intended purchase.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I don’t understand why our supporters have suddenly become so obsessed with this ‘buy young for cheap’ model when actually the evidence is that when we pay a reasonable free we get real value for money AND and instant impact to the team. Cucurella and Estupinan being the most recent examples but also Mwepu. Going back a bit further and Trossard, Bissouma, Webster, Maupay were all signed for decent money. That’s the model we need to continue with, a mix of proven purchases and punts on young talent.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The club won't be frightened of spending money if need be. What they won't do is spend money they don't have. I think Tony has done quite enough for us.

I do expect that if we have a difficult season, which will eventually happen, they'll be those who keep moaning that Tony isn't subsidising their ego.

The facts don't change. We are a third division team riding high on the back of someone's brilliance in setting up a model that worked and putting their money behind it. I don't see why they should keep putting more in to subsidise the losses. But the good news is that if we did fall down a rung the model would be ready to return.

Talking of the third division, five of the top six there are 'bigger' clubs than us. The other equal. That's what happens when you don't get it right and sensible.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
The club won't be frightened of spending money if need be. What they won't do is spend money they don't have. I think Tony has done quite enough for us.

I do expect that if we have a difficult season, which will eventually happen, they'll be those who keep moaning that Tony isn't subsidising their ego.

The facts don't change. We are a third division team riding high on the back of someone's brilliance in setting up a model that worked and putting their money behind it. I don't see why they should keep putting more in to subsidise the losses. But the good news is that if we did fall down a rung the model would be ready to return.

Talking of the third division, five of the top six there are 'bigger' clubs than us. The other equal. That's what happens when you don't get it right and sensible.
After six years in the top flight and literally hundreds of millions in player sales with potentially another £150m or so expected in the summer how on earth are we making these losses?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Except all machines break at some point, including conveyor belts

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Proof of this could be how little we have been hurt by the departures of White, Bissouma, Cucurella, Trossard etc, perhaps?
How do you measure this? yes, we are doing well at the moment with the hint of a European campaign next year. Maybe without all the turmoil, we would be in a far stronger position vying for the title.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Good grief.

Shhhhh.

FFS.

SHHHHHHhhhhhhh!!!!

Oh look, I just saw a shiny thing!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think we will continue to buy quality young players for less than £10M, but will also replace or renew contracts for players like Lallana and Welbeck, this summer. Id be shocked if we start splashing out £30-40M on individual players. UTA.
I agree.

I think we’ll sadly be saying goodbye to Lallana (due to age and injuries), Caicedo, Mac Allister and possibly Welbeck (due to age and injuries).

We’ll have Moder & Alzate back in the midfield and will probably sign the Johnny guy or someone similar for about £10m.

Also a couple of left footed defenders (one a full back) and maybe a striker to replace Dat Guy. Perhaps £50 spent.

I think we’ll get £120m+ for the two South American midfielders. So a nice £60m profit.

I don’t understand why our supporters have suddenly become so obsessed with this ‘buy young for cheap’ model when actually the evidence is that when we pay a reasonable free we get real value for money AND and instant impact to the team. Cucurella and Estupinan being the most recent examples but also Mwepu. Going back a bit further and Trossard, Bissouma, Webster, Maupay were all signed for decent money. That’s the model we need to continue with, a mix of proven purchases and punts on young talent.
Cough, Andone , cough Jahanbak, cough Locadia, all flopped..all around 10m+

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I agree with this in the sense that we are essentially trying to do something that no other team has ever managed to do over the long term. At best we are being naive and at worst a bit arrogant.
Agree, every dog has its day which is why I’m enjoying the ride whilst it lasts :)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
…….and the smart companies using them have spare parts readily available, so they can get them back up and running with minimal disruption
Yes, because the worlds a perfect place and everything in is plentiful and available whenever you want or need it. Just like produce at the mo :nono: :ffsparr:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes, because the worlds a perfect place and everything in is plentiful and available whenever you want or need it. Just like produce at the mo :nono: :ffsparr:
Jesus. So despite the record of the recruitment team, the academy, Tony, Paul and everything else you‘re comparing us with a box of fuxking tomatoes ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here