Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Tony is going to have to put together a £0.25 billion++ team of replacements"

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
After six years in the top flight and literally hundreds of millions in player sales with potentially another £150m or so expected in the summer how on earth are we making these losses?
Well, it costs a lot to maintain a Premier League team and up until recently we weren't getting much from player transfers. We run at a loss generally.

Then there was a small matter of a global pandemic...

Who were the hundreds of millions in player transfers ?

Cucurella £62m
White £50m
Bissouma £30m
Trossard £27m
Burn £13m

A few bits and bobs elsewhere.

Taking the accepted estimates Albion made a Premier League loss in the transfer market of £180m+ before Covid.

Dec 29, 2011
Well, it costs a lot to maintain a Premier League team and up until recently we weren't getting much from player transfers. We run at a loss generally.

Cucurella £62m
White £50m
Bissouma £30m
Trossard £27m
Burn £13m

Taking the accepted estimates Albion made a Premier League loss in the transfer market of £180m+ before Covid.
Add Maupay and Knockaert and we're at £200M revenue from the past 24 months. Quite impressive when you consider our team is probably stronger now then ever before

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It is fine all the time we are unearthing gems like Caicedo, Estupiñán, Mitoma et all that do make the grade in replacing those that leave, but when when we get a batch doesn't. That will be the true test.
Chelsea have already signed one and apparently signing our other Ecuadorean interest in the summer, obviously another Winstanly intervention.
If anyone watched the Shakter game this evening what an earth are we doing offering a measly £14m for Matviyenko absolute quality on the ball a younger Dunk yet already possibly at Dunks level.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Add Maupay and Knockaert and we're at £200M revenue from the past 24 months. Quite impressive when you consider our team is probably stronger now then ever before
Quite, But it only balances out the years previous when the club just spent and didn't receive much. It's only now the ground has been made up. Then when you add the previous losses it's clear that club is not really in a position to spend big unless Tony dips again. Which I would fully understand if he doesn't. I think the club are being really sensible and if things did go south I'm confident we would be back, even though the Championships is a tough place.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
When grousing about summer departures please consider the requirements and legitimate expectations of the Six Real Teams in English Football™ in your calculations.
In the national interest, of course.

We live to serve.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Jesus. So despite the record of the recruitment team, the academy, Tony, Paul and everything else you‘re comparing us with a box of fuxking tomatoes ?
Yes, yes, exactly THIS! :lolol: A quite outstanding interpretation, although you did play both sides of the net so I really can’t claim any of the glory:bowdown: Sleep well, and here’s to further glory:cheers: :kiss:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Cucurella £62m
White £50m
Bissouma £30m
Trossard £27m
Burn £13m

Although player transfer fees are annual amortisation costs spread over the term of the contract. Obviously the longer the deal the better for the accounting re Chelsea.
If I’m right in thinking players with a transfer fee are listed as an asset on the accounts until they are either sold for a profit or moved on. If the estimate of £180m is correct it’s cost the club £30m a season which is manageable to an extent.

The tv money is quickly swallowed up with wages and amortisation costs so if you look at it simply I doubt TB has even had his initial investments of the stadium and training academy back, which doesn’t leave much for the transfer kitty. The sales of the two midfielders in the summer will hurt yet might put us on track to upgrade on signings for the first time.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
After six years in the top flight and literally hundreds of millions in player sales with potentially another £150m or so expected in the summer how on earth are we making these losses?
We're not making losses now. Accounts still to be released for last year, but with player sales of around 70m, finishing 9th and a full Amex every other week - ie no Covid related losses - we'll have made a few million. This season, player sales plus compo for Potter and his gang are at about 160-170m, so plenty of profit this year as well.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Cucurella £62m
White £50m
Bissouma £30m
Trossard £27m
Burn £13m

Maupay 20m
Potter 20m
Ostigaard 5m potentially rising to 10m
Also money received for players like Gyokeres, Clarke, Longman, Molumby, Tau and Jahanbasch. All relatively low fees on their own but they all add up.

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It is fine all the time we are unearthing gems like Caicedo, Estupiñán, Mitoma et all that do make the grade in replacing those that leave, but when when we get a batch doesn't. That will be the true test.
Actually, I think it’s fine regardless. This is a model of running a football club that understands that in sport there are good times and bad. The aim is the provision of professional football in Sussex, not participation in an arms race. If the conveyer belt dries up we stick with the plan and take a few years at a lower level.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Although player transfer fees are annual amortisation costs spread over the term of the contract. Obviously the longer the deal the better for the accounting re Chelsea.
If I’m right in thinking players with a transfer fee are listed as an asset on the accounts until they are either sold for a profit or moved on. If the estimate of £180m is correct it’s cost the club £30m a season which is manageable to an extent.
The tv money is quickly swallowed up with wages and amortisation costs so if you look at it simply I doubt TB has even had his initial investments of the stadium and training academy back, which doesn’t leave much for the transfer kitty. The sales of the two midfielders in the summer will hurt yet might put us on track to upgrade on signings for the first time.
You're correct that the a player's value is listed as an asset on the accounts which decreases proportionally each year depending on contract length. Our last set of accounts (Season 20-21) showed player amortisation slightly higher than your estimate of £46m. At the end of 20-21 the contracts of 2 expensive players, Izquierdo and Ryan, expired. And as these were combined fees of about 20m over 4 years this reduces the amortisation by about 5m. However we also signed 80m worth of players in 21-22, so on a average of a 4-year contract basis, the amortisation increases by 20m - or a net increase of 15m to around 60m per season!

The above is all very guesstimatey (apart from the quoted amortisation for 20-21) with fees based on Transferkt values, so no more than a ball-park figure but useful to get an idea that there's more to annual profit estimations than income minus net transfer spend, wages and running costs.

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
We won't sign players on big transfers because the free reflects the demand for the player - and that demand drives up their wages. That's our Achilles heel. I think we would pay £30m for a player but not £30m-player wages.

And when you guess are listing the income on player sales, don't disregard what we have spent already. These youngsters don't arrive for free. And the scouting network - the one you all rave about - must cost a small fortune to maintain.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We won't sign players on big transfers because the free reflects the demand for the player - and that demand drives up their wages. That's our Achilles heel. I think we would pay £30m for a player but not £30m-player wages.

And when you guess are listing the income on player sales, don't disregard what we have spent already. These youngsters don't arrive for free. And the scouting network - the one you all rave about - must cost a small fortune to maintain.
I agree, we are not going to be paying very high transfer fees as it would also mean breaking the wage cap. A player that costs 35 million will be on (expecting) wages way over what we pay. Why would a player come here on a much lower wage than he could get at more than half the clubs in the division?

I doubt we’ll be paying over 20 million for anyone however many players we sell

I am guessing being self sufficient is the plan. I remember Mad Jet Ski having that aim at Reading after building the stadium and funding the squad initially. Didn’t work out that well after the initial rise. It’s a tough one to make work but we are getting there it seems. We won’t be changing our approach imo.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Next season could be a real test if the worst happens Trossard, Mwepu already gone add the very high possibility Caciedo and Mac will follow them, the squad will need a major overhaul to stay competitive.
We WILL start going backwards at some stage, which it’s why it’s best to just enjoy the good times whilst we have them

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
My mate works for Network Rail and he reckons it’s the travel scheme
Not the depreciation on the 120m stadium and 30m training ground/academy, annual academy running costs of 5-10m, playing and non-playing staff employment costs of £110 or transfer fee amortisation of 45m+ per year then?

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
…….and the smart companies using them have spare parts readily available, so they can get them back up and running with minimal disruption
The biggest concern i have is that everyone we bring in from Ireland and South America that turns out to be a Moises or an Evan attracts the big six , who are starting to wait for us to identify a good prospect and beat us to the punch at the last moment . If these youngsters see us as a stepping stone to the top six that is one thing , but we will not attract any established players if they think all we want to achieve is treading water . There has to come a point where we are making a regular push for a European slot , if we don`t show we believe in ourselves to achieve that , why should they .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Maupay 20m
Potter 20m
Ostigaard 5m potentially rising to 10m
Also money received for players like Gyokeres, Clarke, Longman, Molumby, Tau and Jahanbasch all relatively low fees on their own but it all adds up
I wouldn't bank on the Ostigaard money. We don't, of course, know what the add-ons are for, but I imagine they include playing. Mostly, he isn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here