Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Maybe the conversation was something like "it has been known since March that you want to leave BHAFC. We have reached a decision about your departure and you will be receiving a confirmation email later today"? Of course I have no idea if the conversation went like that at all but I bet it was along similar lines.

The phone call in March by Poyet also explains his post match comments after the Palace.games. He had no intention of staying at the club.

Yep, I seem to remember he said something like "If this was the last game as manager of the club it would be perfect way to go" or words to that affect.

The biggest problem was that he was always making a point about himself, which isn't necessarily bad bad, but after beating Palace 3-1 he should have said that “this was the most important result in his managing career to date, and now we must press on from here and win promotion.”

It does seem as if he was always playing mind games with Bloom, probably didn't want to leave, but said things that would have made Bloom lose faith in his commitment to the club.

If you are unsure of a managers future, it undermines any future signings made by him. A managers job is to assure potential new signings that he is here for the long term.

Feb 14, 2010
Given that the Albion are back getting 26,000 to 30,000 for second tier football, then if the Albion go up, then how can the Amex be expanded to accommodate the extra demand that playing Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs ect will bring instead of Watford, Yeovil and Barnsley? Will safe standing be considered and / or can the North Stand be made larger and steeper so to give the Amex a good end the behind the goal ? If safe standing then perhaps the lower East, so bring back a good old fashioned East terrace? Oh and thanks for everything, its a long way since Mr Archer.

Sorry to interrupt the discussion about a manager who wanted to leave and who then, one way or another, got what he asked for, but was TB asked about the future and the above and what was the reply?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
He said a bunch of stuff refuting claims that Oscar not involved in player recruitment. This is all he said along lines of target for this season.

[tweet]395286922408378368[/tweet]

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Sorry to interrupt the discussion about a manager who wanted to leave and who then, one way or another, got what he asked for, but was TB asked about the future and the above and what was the reply?

Certainly seems to have been asked about the future - check out the official twitter feeds, all brought together in one web page linked earlier on the thread.

Safe standing is currently prohibited (by both FSA (89), PL and the FL (for teams in the Championship for longer than three years)), so even if TB wanted to allow it, he can't.

I don;t know if stadium expansion was discussed, but given it's not on the twitter feed or on here, probably not, is my guess.

Feb 14, 2010
Certainly seems to have been asked about the future - check out the official twitter feeds, all brought together in one web page linked earlier on the thread.

Safe standing is currently prohibited (by both FSA (89), PL and the FL (for teams in the Championship for longer than three years)), so even if TB wanted to allow it, he can't.

I don;t know if stadium expansion was discussed, but given it's not on the twitter feed or on here, probably not, is my guess.

Man United and Aston Villa are two high profile clubs consulting and looking to reintroduce standing at games. Would have thought that with 30000 through the door for a second tier game against Wolves then with promotion, and Man U, Arsenal ect, then how to expand would have been a high priority for a club aiming for a return to the top flight? There we go, very bemused.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Man United and Aston Villa are two high profile clubs consulting and looking to reintroduce standing at games. Would have thought that with 30000 through the door for a second tier game against Wolves then with promotion, and Man U, Arsenal ect, then how to expand would have been a high priority for a club aiming for a return to the top flight? There we go, very bemused.

Yep, I've been following it. Given it would require a change in the law and, separately, a change in PL regulations, I do wonder how serious they are about it, as opposed to the "consultation" being just a sop to the fans....

Feb 14, 2010
Yep, I've been following it. Given it would require a change in the law and, separately, a change in PL regulations, I do wonder how serious they are about it, as opposed to the "consultation" being just a sop to the fans....

Maybe so, maybe not, but one thing is for sure 32,000 capacity for a top flight Albion is not enough as 26000 to 30000 crowds in the second tier show

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Maybe so, maybe not, but one thing is for sure 32,000 capacity for a top flight Albion is not enough as 26000 to 30000 crowds in the second tier show

As for safe standing, there are pretty good reasons why the club are not actively pursuing it, namely it's against the law at the moment. There is also more to it than just taking seats out and putting in the standing "seats" that you have in germany. The concourses and exits etc are all designed to cope with the current capacity and no more.

If the law was changed then I'm pretty sure the Albion would investigate the possibility, but at this point the have far more important things to do. FWIW I am in favour of standing in football stadia.

As regards capacity, I think 32,000 is a sustainable one given the size of the club. Whilst for the likes of man utd, arsenal, chelsea and spurs demand would clearly outstrip supply I'd say for the rest of any potential games in the premier league 32,000 would be more than adequate. 26,000 in a stadium like ours still looks and feels like a decent crowd, in somewhere like The Stadium Of light in sunderland it looks pretty crap, so I'd say we have it right at the moment.

Feb 14, 2010
As for safe standing, there are pretty good reasons why the club are not actively pursuing it, namely it's against the law at the moment. There is also more to it than just taking seats out and putting in the standing "seats" that you have in germany. The concourses and exits etc are all designed to cope with the current capacity and no more.

If the law was changed then I'm pretty sure the Albion would investigate the possibility, but at this point the have far more important things to do. FWIW I am in favour of standing in football stadia.

As regards capacity, I think 32,000 is a sustainable one given the size of the club. Whilst for the likes of man utd, arsenal, chelsea and spurs demand would clearly outstrip supply I'd say for the rest of any potential games in the premier league 32,000 would be more than adequate. 26,000 in a stadium like ours still looks and feels like a decent crowd, in somewhere like The Stadium Of light in sunderland it looks pretty crap, so I'd say we have it right at the moment.

For top flight football and the extra season tickets they could sell, then 32000 would not be adequate for at least a third if not two thirds of the games. Clubs with large away supports and/or attractive fixtures, clubs such as, Spurs, Arsenal, (top flight) Saints, (top flight) Pompey, (top flight) Palace, (top flight) West Ham, Villa, Newcastle, Man City, Liverpool, Man United (top flight) Leeds. Gates of 45000 even 50000 are achievable for the Man U Arsenal's of this world in the top flight. 32000 is not enough for a top flight Albion as gates of 26000 to 30000 in the second tier clearly show. Remember, Leeds only get 20000 these days but if they go up then they will put 10,000 on the gate.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Southampton v fulham was 28,000

Norwich v Chelsea was 26,000

I think we have got it about right. Though to have a 40,000 capacity would earn more kudos, but also it would look half full most of the time, even in the Prem.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
For top flight football and the extra season tickets they could sell, then 32000 would not be adequate for at least a third if not two thirds of the games. Clubs with large away supports and/or attractive fixtures, clubs such as, Spurs, Arsenal, (top flight) Saints, (top flight) Pompey, (top flight) Palace, (top flight) West Ham, Villa, Newcastle, Man City, Liverpool, Man United (top flight) Leeds. Gates of 45000 even 50000 are achievable for the Man U Arsenal's of this world in the top flight. 32000 is not enough for a top flight Albion as gates of 26000 to 30000 in the second tier clearly show. Remember, Leeds only get 20000 these days but if they go up then they will put 10,000 on the gate.

I think the club have to look at overall sustainability, and I do think 32,000 is not too far off our saturation point even if for some games it is under it. The big increases for the top of the bill games would also be made with thousands of extra away fans and I have no interest in seeing 10,000 Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea fans at the Amex.

I think it may be possible to squeeze an extra 1000 or 2 if we really needed it, but 40,000 would be too big for us unless we were established at the top. At the moment our capacity is only a few thousand less than Spurs.

Feb 14, 2010
I think the club have to look at overall sustainability, and I do think 32,000 is not too far off our saturation point even if for some games it is under it. The big increases for the top of the bill games would also be made with thousands of extra away fans and I have no interest in seeing 10,000 Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea fans at the Amex.

I think it may be possible to squeeze an extra 1000 or 2 if we really needed it, but 40,000 would be too big for us unless we were established at the top. At the moment our capacity is only a few thousand less than Spurs.

I understand the wish to not have a half empty ground for smaller games, but to turn away 10000 t 15000 for games like, Spurs, Arsenal, Man U, Man City and local derbies if in the top flight is short sighted. Larger away turn outs also mean more money not just for the Albion but also for the city. I also think there would be plenty of armchair albion fans who would want those games (me included cough as Im pretty much an armchair fan these days). I also dont agree that a club that get 26000 to 30000 for lower league football should only look at a capacity of 32000 for top flight football but its a game of opinions as they say.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I understand the wish to not have a half empty ground for smaller games, but to turn away 10000 t 15000 for games like, Spurs, Arsenal, Man U, Man City and local derbies if in the top flight is short sighted. Larger away turn outs also mean more money not just for the Albion but also for the city. I also think there would be plenty of armchair albion fans who would want those games (me included cough as Im pretty much an armchair fan these days). I also dont agree that a club that get 26000 to 30000 for lower league football should only look at a capacity of 32000 for top flight football but its a game of opinions as they say.

Indeed it is a game of opinions. If I thought we had a good enough support to sustain 40,000 or so I'd love it if we had a stadium to do so. If we could squeeze another couple of thousand in thanks to safe standing at some point in the future then I would be all for it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm pretty sure (in fact I'm certain) that when I went to the Amex briefings in 2010/11, Ken Brown said that we could expand the capacity to about 31,000 but couldn't go any higher than that - before adding, with a laugh, if we wanted to go higher, we'd need to get a new ground

I'd have thought that given the moans about buses, car parks and trains when the gate's about 25,000, NSC would go into meltdown if we had 40,000 trying to get away from the ground

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Why do people assume that safe standing means larger capacity? If the seats are remove we still need to comply with the ground regulation and from my understanding if you move to safe standing you simple replace the current seats with the design as used in German where spectators are still assigned the same space as with a seat, the seat is simply retracted so the capacity remains the same.
The topic of safe standing was not brought up with TB on Tuesday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here