Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom - Fans' Forum

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Not really sure you guys understood what he actualy said.

Of course the Amex is expandable, it just requires structure change. All this talk of delicately balanced roofs does my head in, throw enough money at it and it's possible This will probably be many tens of millions for fitting in another 10k seats which would take years and years to pay for themselves, by which time we may have been relegated and not even have demand for them. This is not something TB has any plans for, even long-term, unless we massively exceed expectations. Then there's the small matter of planning permission.

Is it possible? Of course it is. Are we going to do it in the next 20 years? Most probably not, unless we start pushing for a CL place like our friends up the road are doing.

How many millions have you got? The roof is held up by the arches and the arches are held up by the roof. It would need a complete rebuild, whether it does your head in or not.

I guarantee you, that if we get promoted to the Premier League and stay there, after two seasons, we won't have sell outs every single match.

It would not be that difficult to expand, because the top half of the north stand is currently a wall/offices and has nothing to do with the roof. These could be relocated elsewhere with the stand going back twice as far. I do not believe this would cost tens of millions.

Yes, it would be impossible to significantly expand the east and west because of the reasons you cite.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I didn't get the same 'certainly given impression' when I watched the video of the forum.

Maybe it was edited out ? Or perhaps I understood a different emphasis.
No. Don't think it was edited out. He simply said that overseas investors were a fact of modern football.

He gave no impression, however, of any change to his stated aim of retaining ownership for the long run. (And we are all dead in the long run.)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I have it on good authority that the Wardy's love the bit 1:01 in.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
At what time is the kids question?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No. Don't think it was edited out. He simply said that overseas investors were a fact of modern football.

He gave no impression, however, of any change to his stated aim of retaining ownership for the long run. (And we are all dead in the long run.)

I was there, and I didn't get that impression either, quite the opposite.

Agreed

The only thing you COULD suggest was at the end of his answers about naming stands at the Amex, he said "Future owners might have other ideas".

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It would not be that difficult to expand, because the top half of the north stand is currently a wall/offices and has nothing to do with the roof. These could be relocated elsewhere with the stand going back twice as far. I do not believe this would cost tens of millions.

amex-stadium-brighton-and-hove-albion-fc-north-stand-1414608373.jpg

Not sure I get you. Are you talking about adding another tier on top of the existing one, or just expanding the single tier back further ? (thus wiping out the police box and the TV studio). Either way, I think its a complete non-starter. There just isn't the room to build more seats and a concourse behind them to serve it. The slant doesn't help either!

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
amex-stadium-brighton-and-hove-albion-fc-north-stand-1414608373.jpg

Not sure I get you. Are you talking about adding another tier on top of the existing one, or just expanding the single tier back further ? (thus wiping out the police box and the TV studio). Either way, I think its a complete non-starter. There just isn't the room to build more seats and a concourse behind them to serve it. The slant doesn't help either!

I was talking to a Buckingham group engineer when the stadium was being built, he seemed to think that expansion to 30k was easy (as we know). But the east could have another tier added by removing the arch and replacing it with one bigger than the West and have a middle tier that goes almost all the way around and having a 3rd tier on the east. Taking the stadium up to 38k. Yes major structural work, but nothing that is too difficult. The bigger you go, the more expensive, but all stadiums are built so that expansion is fairly straightforward. Planning and regulations is another thing but it can be done.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was talking to a Buckingham group engineer when the stadium was being built, he seemed to think that expansion to 30k was easy (as we know). But the east could have another tier added by removing the arch and replacing it with one bigger than the West and have a middle tier that goes almost all the way around and having a 3rd tier on the east. Taking the stadium up to 38k. Yes major structural work, but nothing that is too difficult. The bigger you go, the more expensive, but all stadiums are built so that expansion is fairly straightforward. Planning and regulations is another thing but it can be done.

Those arches are embedded deep underground in concrete thrust blocks. They are connected by a ring of steel that goes all the way round the entire stadium - the weight of the arches holds the roof up as they "lean back" against each other, counterbalancing the weight by pulling the roof up into place and holding it there.

So removing the arch, any part of it, would involve excavating under the stadium to get back down to the thrust blocks, and then taking down the roofs in their entirety along with the arches - effectively you're starting again from scratch. Neeeever gonna happen.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
I can't believe how lacking in awareness some people are. I appreciate the guy must have felt strongly about his programme collection but to think it appropriate to ask the CHAIRMAN, one who has pumped millions of pounds into an organisation with over 30000 customers needs to take into account, about the spine binding on his £3.50 magaizne is just incredible. As if Bloom knows or cares about that.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
An extra 3,000 seats in the North, assuming all are sold, and generate £25 per match, (both of which are generous assumption). would bring in additional income of £1.5 million a season. To put that into context, the team that finishes 17th in the Premier League, and so avoids relegation, earns £103 million.

The cost of extending the North would be in the region of £20 million, and there would be disruption for those that already occupy the North. In addition there would be issues in terms of safety certification.

It's not going to happen for structural, logistical and financial reasons, so people should stop talking nonsense.

Also remember that if the club is promoted, there will be empty seats for matches against the likes of Swansea, Boro, Burnley, Stoke, West Brom, Hull, Sunderland, even though these are probably the matches that we would most need to win.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I can't believe how lacking in awareness some people are. I appreciate the guy must have felt strongly about his programme collection but to think it appropriate to ask the CHAIRMAN, one who has pumped millions of pounds into an organisation with over 30000 customers needs to take into account, about the spine binding on his £3.50 magaizne is just incredible. As if Bloom knows or cares about that.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quite agree.

I did though, give Bloom yet another opportunity to demonstrate what a TOP bloke he is - giving a loyal if slightly needy / misguided Albion FAN his time, and continuing to be polite and charming, rather than just rolling his eyes and moving on to the next question!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here