Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom - Fans' Forum

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Just watched this....

Always good to hear the thoughts of our chairman.

The personal highlight for me was the chap who asked if the club could change their match day programme binding methods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't realise that William Caxton was an Albion fan :wozza:

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
It's quite simple really - saddle-stitch binding is cheaper than perfect binding.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Only disappointment, he seemed to rule out any chance that the Amex could be expanded in the future if there was any demand for it.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Only disappointment, he seemed to rule out any chance that the Amex could be expanded in the future if there was any demand for it.

Not really surprising.

Not without re-engineering the entire stadium.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

He explained why it wasn't worth it and he is quite right.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Did anyone ask about his vision for a hotel?

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Yes, on the hotel he said since the whole planning committee had been replaced on the council, we will go again, with minor amends that do not increase the cost, and he hopes to get it, but it is by no means a showstopper. He stressed it would be good for community and universities etc.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Yes, on the hotel he said since the whole planning committee had been replaced on the council, we will go again, with minor amends that do not increase the cost, and he hopes to get it, but it is by no means a showstopper. He stressed it would be good for community and universities etc.

Also acknowledged that the revenue generated from this would be minimal. I'm inclined to agree - aside from match days and the occasional uni open day, I can see this haemorrhaging money.

But then what do I know.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Also acknowledged that the revenue generated from this would be minimal. I'm inclined to agree - aside from match days and the occasional uni open day, I can see this haemorrhaging money.

But then what do I know.

There's numerous conference/business events at the Amex and the hotel would complement these - so I'm led to believe.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Yes, agree. Though the club have always said that there is no real scope to extend significantly, I suspect that other fans, like me, secretly thought that yes they might in practice. I assume it is not just the building which would be very expensive, but would not safety certificates need to be re-drawn? Was permission given on condition that it would not be bigger? And what about Falmer Station, if, say, 40,00 attended? Seems very unlikely, sadly, and of course for how many matches would there be that sort of crowd? The Arsenals of this world, yes, but Swansea, Stoke etc, with all respect. . .

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

I think its more a case of they did the research, found that a 30 000 seater was really about the most sustainable over an extended period, and built it accordingly. It was originally around 22K with future expansion to 30K if and when needed. They have now expanded it as much as possible (TB did say they could put 10s of seats here and there). To change it anymore is not possible without fundamentaly altering the structure of the stadium, which is simply not possible without knocking most of it down!

Last edited:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Not really sure you guys understood what he actualy said.

Of course the Amex is expandable, it just requires structure change. All this talk of delicately balanced roofs does my head in, throw enough money at it and it's possible This will probably be many tens of millions for fitting in another 10k seats which would take years and years to pay for themselves, by which time we may have been relegated and not even have demand for them. This is not something TB has any plans for, even long-term, unless we massively exceed expectations. Then there's the small matter of planning permission.

Is it possible? Of course it is. Are we going to do it in the next 20 years? Most probably not, unless we start pushing for a CL place like our friends up the road are doing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Of course the Amex is expandable, it just requires structure change. All this talk of delicately balanced roofs does my head in, throw enough money at it and it's possible This will probably be many tens of millions for fitting in another 10k seats which would take years and years to pay for themselves, by which time we may have been relegated and not even have demand for them. This is not something TB has any plans for, even long-term, unless we massively exceed expectations. Then there's the small matter of planning permission.

Is it possible? Of course it is. Are we going to do it in the next 20 years? Most probably not, unless we start pushing for a CL place like our friends up the road are doing.
We'll just play our Champions League matches at Wembley. :shootself:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
These were covered also:

£20m loss for last season;

Had several approaches through third parties interested in BHA but not interested in selling. Certainly gave impression that he would not necessarily be here for the rest of his life;

That has depressed me slightly. I don't want him to sell, I don't want some outsider treating us as a vanity project or as a part of their investment portfolio.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
That has depressed me slightly. I don't want him to sell, I don't want some outsider treating us as a vanity project or as a part of their investment portfolio.
I didn't get the same 'certainly given impression' when I watched the video of the forum.

Maybe it was edited out ? Or perhaps I understood a different emphasis.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

How many millions have you got? The roof is held up by the arches and the arches are held up by the roof. It would need a complete rebuild, whether it does your head in or not.

I guarantee you, that if we get promoted to the Premier League and stay there, after two seasons, we won't have sell outs every single match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here