Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tino Livramento

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Thing is, I know Lamptey is injured, but we have Karbownik and Veltman too, I wouldn't blame this guy in thinking the pathway in this position is not exactly clear

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know Karbownik’s position? Veltman is being touted as White’s replacement by many, as for Lamptey, is he a defender, a wing back, a winger, will he actually make it into the field again? We don’t have an actual right back in the squad, strangely Southampton do in Kyle Walker-Peters.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
And Mwepu could play there. And Alzate has. And Gross has.

Unless he is exceptional, and I mean EXCEPTIONAL, it's very unlikely he'll be anywhere near our first team this season.
I've been impressed with Tanimowo too.

According to every article I’ve read he is supposed to be sensational. Personally not a fan of square pegs in round holes, Alzate and Groß are definitely not defenders, and putting Mwepu there weakens the midfield, they’re temporary fixes not long term solutions.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
May have been a simple case of other clubs willing to pay him better wages than we were.

I think he will have far less competition at Saints. They've just released Ryan Bertrand so Kyle Walker-Peters will probably switch to left back leaving them without a recognised right back.

Thompson720

Jan 5, 2019
Patcham
Gutted, but trust the recruitment's decision, maybe the path to the first team isn't as simple here compared to Southampton.

Would also not be surprised if Chelsea wanted a ridiculous sell-on/buy-back clause to not get stung again. I'm sure it'll all come out soon!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Does anyone really know Karbownik’s position? Veltman is being touted as White’s replacement by many, as for Lamptey, is he a defender, a wing back, a winger, will he actually make it into the field again? We don’t have an actual right back in the squad, strangely Southampton do in Kyle Walker-Peters.

I think Potter is going for a back 4 this season.

Right backs (in order of preference) could be:

1. Lamptey
2. Veltman
3. Karbownik (he must have impressed recently for us to pull out of the Tino deal)
4. Alzate

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Gutted, but trust the recruitment's decision, maybe the path to the first team isn't as simple here compared to Southampton.

Would also not be surprised if Chelsea wanted a ridiculous sell-on/buy-back clause to not get stung again. I'm sure it'll all come out soon!

That’s EXACTLY what the Athletic is reporting … Southampton have agreed to a buy back clause and a significant sell on.

So if he is successful it’s nothing more than a glorified long term loan deal.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
That’s EXACTLY what the Athletic is reporting … Southampton have agreed to a buy back clause and a significant sell on.

Indeed - Chelsea have a really interesting business model - hoovering up loads of young talent, then loaning them or "selling" them to other clubs. They effectively transfer a lot of the risk, give their player the opportunity to play top level football, but still get to make even more money (or a buy-back) if the thing works. I can see why we wouldn't be keen on this...it seems to be at odds with our own model.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Thing is, I know Lamptey is injured, but we have Karbownik and Veltman too, I wouldn't blame this guy in thinking the pathway in this position is not exactly clear

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Slightly ironic if we lose out on a player because of that after 12 months of bleating about our wonderful 'pathway' to the first team in the Athletic and the Argus

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea

The buy back clause is absolutely a loan by another name (one that benefits the selling club even more). I can see why we wouldn’t agree to that (frustrating though it is to miss out).
If we’re thinking Veltman is going to be CB this season, we do need a RB as Lamptey is unfortunately looking unlikely to be an ‘ever present’, and the other options, though decent, are square pegs

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Slightly ironic if we lose out on a player because of that after 12 months of bleating about our wonderful 'pathway' to the first team in the Athletic and the Argus

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Is it ? So all the good work with Ben White, Lamptey, Sanchez, potentially Ostigard is all undone because Chelsea agreed a deal with Southampton rather than us ? But dramatic innnit ?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think Potter is going for a back 4 this season.

Right backs (in order of preference) could be:

1. Lamptey
2. Veltman
3. Karbownik (he must have impressed recently for us to pull out of the Tino deal)
4. Alzate

The overwhelming consensus on NSC is that we'll play a back three/five. Now you're saying we'll play a back four. My hunch -- well, it's more than a hunch, it's based on two season's worth of evidence and [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION]'s input -- is that we'll play both. I also think you're reading too much into Karbownik, we don't know that.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The overwhelming consensus on NSC is that we'll play a back three/five. Now you're saying we'll play a back four. My hunch -- well, it's more than a hunch, it's based on two season's worth of evidence and [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION]'s input -- is that we'll play both. I also think you're reading too much into Karbownik, we don't know that.

Its the beauty of Potter, the opposition does not know what we are going to play, and we are equally adept at both formations.

I prefer us as a 5 with wing backs, however the flexibilty to switch is awesome

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This coincides with the cold water being poured on signing a new central defender.

Maybe we are diverting more of the money to the striker fund and it's just a striker and left (wing) back we are focusing on now.

Last edited:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
If the club spends a lot of time developing a player and improving him , they don’t want a buy back clause hanging over them . Southampton have agreed to a glorified loan deal , if he comes good , he’s back at Chelsea . I can completely understand why Brighton would not want to agree to such a deal .

Let’s move on .

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
If the club spends a lot of time developing a player and improving him , they don’t want a buy back clause hanging over them . Southampton have agreed to a glorified loan deal , if he comes good , he’s back at Chelsea . I can completely understand why Brighton would not want to agree to such a deal .

Let’s move on .

Totally agree, It is effectively nothing but a potentially expensive different type of loan. All the risk sits with the 'buying' club, they shell out a larger than normal fee for a youngster and if he turns out crap it's money down the drain, if he turns out good the selling club get him back. I think the Albion prefer to own their players rather than develop them for someone else benefit and if the buy back clause was a condition then I can see that being the reason we've pulled out. I can see the attraction of this clause to the player as he gets to.retain the possibility of going back to a big club of he is successful, win win for him.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Let’s move on .

Exactly……….rather than the reported ‘lost out’, very possible we’ve ‘walked away’ on this basis.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

I thought that Karbownik’s defending was poor V Luton.

I had great hopes but he may need more time and coaching.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here