Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Time wasting last night

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There’s going slowly when hacked up in the air or the ball goes out, and then there’s falling over literally every 5 seconds, clutching your own head/face because your hand touched the other player’s back.

Commentators seem to point out every match that RdZ missed out on Euro qualification by +1 or +2 goal difference one year in Italy whenever we’re ahead but still attacking.
This is where I am.

The is shutting up shop / parking the bus / seeing out the game where you have no ambition other than preventing the other team scoring.

Then there is still having the ball, wanting to score another goal, having ambition in the game, but at times not being in a hurry. 2 very different things.

No one could say we didn’t have ambition to score more goals and continue to play. Stats back this up.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
2 of our players went off injured, not sure Mitoma did or not as well. They committed over twice the fouls we did, couple of theirs lucky to not get booked. Murray is always going to try to appear even handed especially with an ex-club.

As @sheebo said above, I’m not saying we weren’t slowing things down at times, but that is worlds away from the dark arts of deceiving and cheating to waste time in a game.
Spot on.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Which perhaps illustrates how subjective it is and the reason supporter bias creeps in.
Yep no doubt, I just offered up a view that a team looking to score another goal, lots of possession and in the attacking third with ambition still, may slow the game at times, but isn’t motivated to just destroy the game - which some sides do. I’m not saying we don’t slow things down, but it is as others have said a world away from just shutting the game down completely using whatever means possible.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Steele deserved his booking last night. Every goal kick he held the ball for as long as he could and then gave it to Dunk to take the actual kick. It was blatant and I guess following instructions. Personally, I don't like it and don't agree with many on here that it is different to other time wasting tactics. I moan about other teams so can't really see that I can defend my team when they do it.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Steele deserved his booking last night. Every goal kick he held the ball for as long as he could and then gave it to Dunk to take the actual kick. It was blatant and I guess following instructions. Personally, I don't like it and don't agree with many on here that it is different to other time wasting tactics. I moan about other teams so can't really see that I can defend my team when they do it.
If he was still wasting time last night he probably deserved a red :)

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Honestly the only "wrong" thing I saw was Steele timewasting at 50' or 60' (can't remember) and getting a yellow. That made me roll my eyes because it's just plain stupid, you don't time waste that early at 1-0 up when you're an attacking team that's currently conceding so many chances to the opponent, because it could easily come back to bite you if they score and you then find yourself with less time to win it. You time waste later, when every minute counts and time wasting can secure you the win.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Honestly the only "wrong" thing I saw was Steele timewasting at 50' or 60' (can't remember) and getting a yellow. That made me roll my eyes because it's just plain stupid, you don't time waste that early at 1-0 up when you're an attacking team that's currently conceding so many chances to the opponent, because it could easily come back to bite you if they score and you then find yourself with less time to win it. You time waste later, when every minute counts and time wasting can secure you the win.
Eh? A minute of time wasting in the 50th minute is worth the same as one near the end, a minute never changes length :shrug:

I didn’t even think Steele was taking that long over that goal kick, he was originally complaining because Solanke was standing on the edge of the box and probably took a couple more seconds than you’d expect, I thought it was comical given how much time wasting I’ve seen against us this season not punished until the nonsensical pointless 95th minute booking.

The reason teams do it against us is to break up our rhythm and break the momentum home teams can build, hence why we were doing it at that phase of the game as Bournemouth had their most dangerous phase between that 30/60 minute period.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Eh? A minute of time wasting in the 50th minute is worth the same as one near the end, a minute never changes length :shrug:

I didn’t even think Steele was taking that long over that goal kick, he was originally complaining because Solanke was standing on the edge of the box and probably took a couple more seconds than you’d expect, I thought it was comical given how much time wasting I’ve seen against us this season not punished until the nonsensical pointless 95th minute booking.

The reason teams do it against us is to break up our rhythm and break the momentum home teams can build, hence why we were doing it at that phase of the game as Bournemouth had their most dangerous phase between that 30/60 minute period.
A minute time wasting in the 50th minute is not worth the same as one near the end, there's a reason why teams time waste more near the end. In the 50th minute the match is still completely in the balance (unless you're like we were or like Atletico can be sometimes, and you're not like that) and you also risk getting another yellow from there until the end of the match. In the 89th minute time wasting can get you over the line and deny the opposition one last decisive action, while also being nearly harmless in terms of cards.

Slowing down the game is one thing and makes sense, but it's different from time wasting.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Oh we absolutely were time wasting. We rarely see it from us, frankly because our game collapses when we do it.

I’ve gotten stick here for being non-partisan in all areas of life from football to politics, but I’ve not been screaming for a policeman on here when opposition sides do it.

De Zerbi wants to win every game as a matter of principle - this is great. Bournemouth away showed he/we can be flexible in how we do it. This is even more great.

Play the game as needed I say. And don’t be angry when others do the same. It was like that every single game under Hughton.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oh we absolutely were time wasting. We rarely see it from us, frankly because our game collapses when we do it.

I’ve gotten stick here for being non-partisan in all areas of life from football to politics, but I’ve not been screaming for a policeman on here when opposition sides do it.

De Zerbi wants to win every game as a matter of principle - this is great. Bournemouth away showed he/we can be flexible in how we do it. This is even more great.

Play the game as needed I say. And don’t be angry when others do the same. It was like that every single game under Hughton.
I don't understand how anyone who watched the Bournemouth game could think we weren't engaging in "game management", a term I use because some seem to get upset by the words "time wasting", but whether you call it that or "slowing the game down" we very obviously were, and rightly so.

There were spells of the game where we were under sustained pressure, and when the opportunity arose, we wanted to get a bit of a breather and slow Bournemouth's momentum. Why wouldn't we?

And the Bournemouth fans, to a man, woman and child, were jeering and booing exactly as we do at the Amex when faced with the same.

(But, again, for the overly-sensitive, I'm not suggesting we were as bad as, say Fulham or Villa.)

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I bit my tongue on some recent threads on this because our players will use "game management" just like everyone else when the need arises.

We're not saints.

Well we aren't far off Bozza :)

1680804119282.png

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't understand how anyone who watched the Bournemouth game could think we weren't engaging in "game management", a term I use because some seem to get upset by the words "time wasting", but whether you call it that or "slowing the game down" we very obviously were, and rightly so.

There were spells of the game where we were under sustained pressure, and when the opportunity arose, we wanted to get a bit of a breather and slow Bournemouth's momentum. Why wouldn't we?

And the Bournemouth fans, to a man, woman and child, were jeering and booing exactly as we do at the Amex when faced with the same.

(But, again, for the overly-sensitive, I'm not suggesting we were as bad as, say Fulham or Villa.)
Agree with that although I would still call it time wasting.

Our main problem last night was the amount of times we put pressure on ourselves by giving the ball away with a sloppy pass.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here